• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I would love to see Bender - He is a classic European player with an outside game. That is not what WVU needed from him. He might be a good fit if he wants to play that style.

Word on the street is he's highly considering returning overseas to play professionally. But, I agree, he would be a star at this level. He seemed kind of a strange fit in the WVU system.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Sadly, WLU has been getting more "me first" players than they used to. Carey is just the latest in a list that includes Dennis, Dwyer, Humphreys, Columbo and several others.

Were I coach, I'd say no and force the kid to stsy. If he showed his ass and was disruptive after that, i'd give him a release with some serious restrictions. The player might leave but he certainly would serve as a cutionary tale for others that signing with WLU means something. As it stands now, future players see that they can sign with us and lock in a scholly and then fish for a bigger offer...or come to WLU, get a year or two of experience and then transfer were ever you want.
    I understand your frustration. But taking the high road preserves team chemistry and keep our relationship with the network of influential persons on the high school scene. I won't say it will never happen again, as integrity is a hard trait to judge until it is tested, but we need to look at how few have every backed out of a LOI. For those who transfer I think that is a different situation from an integrity point of view.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Alot of good points...and I agree, the "signed commitment" is not and was not that at all for Carry... Probably ends up being a d*ck move by him...
    Duquesne is trending upward this year...i go back to what we discussed on the board last week about playing for a top 20 D2 vs a bottom 100 D1.... Kids almost always pick D1..figuring they can transfer "down" if it doesn't work out...

I wouldn't mind seeing either of those WV guys end up on the Hilltop...but we'll see..
    I would love to see Bender - He is a classic European player with an outside game. That is not what WVU needed from him. He might be a good fit if he wants to play that style.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Let's assume he does care about academics. He just got a free ride to a fantastic academic school ... probably worth $35,000 to $45,000 a year (perhaps more). The Atlantic 10 isn't a dump conference -- it's highly competitive. Duquesne has a great new coach and is going to be loaded this season. With the LeBron tie and his years at Akron, Dambrodt is going to tear up Ohio recruiting. The school is also dumping close to $100 million in to the Palumbo Center. If he wanted an urban setting, it's gets no more urban than downtown Pittsburgh.

I see your point. Breaking a verbal is one thing. Once you sign ... deal with it. I'm sure Ben's theory was get rid of him now rather than force him to attend one year and lose him next off-season.

This is why I just hate recruiting high school players at this level. They will bail at the first opportunity. High school players look down upon D2 mainly because they don't know any better and, of course, the AAU factor (handlers). If I had my own team I'd only recruit transfers with 2-3 years eligibility.
    Good Points - If he wanted an urban setting, he should not have signed an LOI with West Liberty so I would hope that was not a factor.

It is an expensive school since it is private, but it does not mean it is proportionally better. Its US News and World Report score is 46/100; West Liberty is 48/100.
    I question a school of 6,000 students spending 100 million on the Palumbo Center. Can you imagine the pressure on the coach to WIN NOW with that kind of investment?
    I hope Sin majors in Kinesiology or Pharmacy or one of the other majors for which Duquesne is recognized as a strong school. Don't let D1 use and abuse you.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Alot of good points...and I agree, the "signed commitment" is not and was not that at all for Carry... Probably ends up being a d*ck move by him...
    Duquesne is trending upward this year...i go back to what we discussed on the board last week about playing for a top 20 D2 vs a bottom 100 D1.... Kids almost always pick D1..figuring they can transfer "down" if it doesn't work out...

I wouldn't mind seeing either of those WV guys end up on the Hilltop...but we'll see..

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Let's assume he does care about academics. He just got a free ride to a fantastic academic school ... probably worth $35,000 to $45,000 a year (perhaps more). The Atlantic 10 isn't a dump conference -- it's highly competitive. Duquesne has a great new coach and is going to be loaded this season. With the LeBron tie and his years at Akron, Dambrodt is going to tear up Ohio recruiting. The school is also dumping close to $100 million in to the Palumbo Center. If he wanted an urban setting, it's gets no more urban than downtown Pittsburgh.

I see your point. Breaking a verbal is one thing. Once you sign ... deal with it. I'm sure Ben's theory was get rid of him now rather than force him to attend one year and lose him next off-season.

This is why I just hate recruiting high school players at this level. They will bail at the first opportunity. High school players look down upon D2 mainly because they don't know any better and, of course, the AAU factor (handlers). If I had my own team I'd only recruit transfers with 2-3 years eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Sadly, WLU has been getting more "me first" players than they used to. Carey is just the latest in a list that includes Dennis, Dwyer, Humphreys, Columbo and several others.

Were I coach, I'd say no and force the kid to stsy. If he showed his ass and was disruptive after that, i'd give him a release with some serious restrictions. The player might leave but he certainly would serve as a cutionary tale for others that signing with WLU means something. As it stands now, future players see that they can sign with us and lock in a scholly and then fish for a bigger offer...or come to WLU, get a year or two of experience and then transfer were ever you want.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Thats the definition of a selfish move by Carey. The only program that stuck by him when he was injured was West Liberty...and that includes Duquesne. He was more that happy to grab onto the lifeline WLU gave him but when a third tier D1 came back around after he healed and proved he could still play, he **** all over WLU. Here's hoping his college career has him averaging 2.3 PPG and 3 minutes per game.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

There is a lot of talk on the WV forums that Magic Bender and Chase Harler on WV's team might transfer. Bender announced today that he will be leaving. Harler was seen at WL last week but it was the weekend. He is from Moundsville. Wonder if this is something that is developing?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Thats the definition of a selfish move by Carey. The only program that stuck by him when he was injured was West Liberty...and that includes Duquesne. He was more that happy to grab onto the lifeline WLU gave him but when a third tier D1 came back around after he healed and proved he could still play, he **** all over WLU. Here's hoping his college career has him averaging 2.3 PPG and 3 minutes per game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

VC reported WL offered another PG ... I think he was from Ohio. Small guy (like 5'8" and 155 lbs).

I have mixed feelings on the Duquesne thing. Granted, Carry's stock really took off this past season. Per the few articles I read, they are leading on that Duquesne didn't contact him until 'after' he got his release from WL. You have to wonder how true that is, however.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

I saw that on Twitter that they lost Sin Carry... I guess our board was on top of it when they said Carry would be one of the best D2 freshman guards next year...he's off to duquesne...

Starters next year?

Arnold PG
    Bolon SG
    French 3
    Meininger 4
    Marlon Moore 5

Allen for bigger minutes... Dyer's minutes will be the same, just won't start...Look for Saben to have a nice campaign as well..

Can that lineup win the MEC?

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Classy move by Coach Howlett to give the kid a release so he could go to a D1 school, especially this late in the process. Pretty unique situation. Carry was getting a lot of Power 5 interest on the AAU circuit as a sophomore before the knee injuries. Certainly proved he was 100% the last couple of seasons. If he stays healthy, he'll help Dambrot and the Dukes. Timing sucks for WLU but Coach Howlett has pulled more than a few recruiting rabbits out of his hat over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Seeing that Sincere Carey is now committed to Duquesne. ??
    Yikes

Leave a comment:

• Dirtybird
    replied

Seeing that Sincere Carey is now committed to Duquesne. ??

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X