Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Nights like these are when we need an inside game. 33% from 3 pt range is not going to win you many games particularly when over half your shots are from 3. Our one "big" jacked SEVEN three point tries, made TWO and got ZERO offensive rebounds! On the year he has TWO rebounds on the offensive end. That just ain't going to work when we start playing big boy teams. Against almost any MEC opponent and this would have been a pretty convincing L.

Comment

Those games will happen ... wins are wins. At least the cold night comes with a weak opponent in town.

Your attendance has been surprisingly low down there through three games.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Those games will happen ... wins are wins. At least the cold night comes with a weak opponent in town.

Your attendance has been surprisingly low down there through three games.
        WLU traditionally seems to under reports attendance. You either go to the game or watch on TV and the see the "official" attendance and think "no way that is even close to accurate." I also note that the first two games were on a holiday weekend and D&E is also not a very big draw.

Comment

I agree, Westlib doesn't really draw much until the first conference game opener. It's a little sad, but Westlib nation has come to expect blowouts more often than not in the first few games, especially against teams picked to finish in the bottom half of their conferences. Our big man shooting 3's is not something new, it's just that he's not making as many as lets say a CJ Hester, but the lack of rebounding is quite alarming though. Monteroso is not a 3 point shooter, he's more of a slasher/creature, and I would be shocked if he took more than (3) three pointers per game, it's just not what he does. I am surprised at West Liberty's defense though...they have really tightened up on that end, so the days of them just trading baskets and attempting to outscore you might not be the total philosophy anymore. I think Crutch might be trying to turn his roster over a little to guys who can score but also lock you down.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Nights like these are when we need an inside game. 33% from 3 pt range is not going to win you many games particularly when over half your shots are from 3. Our one "big" jacked SEVEN three point tries, made TWO and got ZERO offensive rebounds! On the year he has TWO rebounds on the offensive end. That just ain't going to work when we start playing big boy teams. Against almost any MEC opponent and this would have been a pretty convincing L.
            33% translates to 50% for 2 pt. Goals, which isn't horrendous. Some areas for improvement imho:
            1. Need to pick up guys after a miss. D&e got too many wide open looks in transition for 3s.
            2. Need more offensive boards.
            3. I think Monterosa 3 pt. Shooting will improve now that he can focus on basketball. 3 pt shooting is affected by tight muscles as it demands great touch, more than shots around basket.
            4. When cold from outside, need to attack the basket and get fouled.

Thought d&e had good players and an excellent game plan to shorten the game and play zone and hope for cold shooting from outside.

Good learning experience that will help us in the future.

Comment

Bottom line is that we are 3-0. Crutch usually uses the early games as more a extended preseason rather than true games. Particulary this year because of so many changes, he is tinkering around with different line-up combinations to see who works best with who. I hope part of the tinkering is to focus our big on playing inside out. I'm not opposed to him taking a couple of 3 point shots (provided he's making most of them) but I would prefer that he be more attentive to offensive rebounding and scoring on put backs. Jump shooting teams by definition leave a lot of "trash" around the rim and Gross is our best option for cleaning that up.

Comment

Fairmont could be a threat

Fairmont dominated Findlay who was picked to win southern division of gliac. In watching the game Fairmont looked like d1 team and Findlay was outclassed athletically. Will be a big challenge. But as usual Fairmont takes their share of wacky, selfish shots and bonehead plays, which has served us in good stead in the past.

Comment

Re: Fairmont could be a threat

Fairmont also gave up 97 points to Bowie compared to Bowie scoring just 67 at IUP.

Granted, IUP is traditionally a strong defensive team but that's a big margin.

The WL/FSU games last year were pretty tight as I recall despite WL sweeping. Fairmont has a good team. I'm looking forward to seeing them up here in about 30 days.

Comment

Tried to tune in for a bit ... WL feed was unwatchable.

Comment

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

2nd half i could finally tune in. Win by 22

Comment

Fairly easy win with nd not having any depth and west lib 5 better than their 5. Meininger left game with foot injury and guillozet did not play in a boot on crutches prior to game start
                        Last edited by Chevydude89; 11-19-2016, 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

WLU moves to 4-0 with a convincing W over a Notre Dame squad that has played the Toppers tough in the past. Big note is Meine's ancle. Early in the season he has shown to be a valuable starter who has given us production we probably didnt expect heading into the season. We have some depth and can probably weather him missing the next game but hope he comes back quickly because i think we are better with him. Gross finally banged the offensive glass a little which is a plus. Steady scoring from our four starters (minus innured Meine). Bench played their part also.

Next up a surprisingly strong Urbana Monday then its off to Florida at the end of the week.

Urbana...you are on the clock.

Comment

Quick updates:

C. Humphreys is averaging 10 ppg shooting 33% from the field and 33% from 3. Polk stands 2-3 on the year.

J Lococo is averaging 15 ppg on 38% shooting (21% from 3) at D3 DeSales.

B Justice is averaging 6 ppg at Valdosta over two games.

All three are currently starting for their new squads.
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 11-19-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Another beat down but what i liked is the way west lib shot the ball tonite from 3pt. I want to see that continue through the tougher games forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                Quick updates:

C. Humphreys is averaging 10 ppg shooting 33% from the field and 33% from 3. Polk stands 2-3 on the year.

J Lococo is averaging 15 ppg on 38% shooting (21% from 3) at D3 DeSales.

B Justice is averaging 6 ppg at Valdosta over two games.

All three are currently starting for their new squads.
                                Boat, I enjoyed that segment of "Where are they now?"...I swear I read something that Beau Justice had 8 3's last night for Valdosta St....so his average will be going up...I still am mad at him transferring...Could have been a great pairing with DDennis for 4 years...

What's the deal / prognosis with Meininger and CLay's injuries? out a game? Out for weeks? Both ankles? We need an update...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X