Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Boat, I enjoyed that segment of "Where are they now?"...I swear I read something that Beau Justice had 8 3's last night for Valdosta St....so his average will be going up...I still am mad at him transferring...Could have been a great pairing with DDennis for 4 years...

What's the deal / prognosis with Meininger and CLay's injuries? out a game? Out for weeks? Both ankles? We need an update...
    Apparently, Justice wanted more playing time than he was getting at West Lib. At least that's what I read 'between the lines' from what Crutch said during MEC Media Day earlier this month.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Apparently, Justice wanted more playing time than he was getting at West Lib. At least that's what I read 'between the lines' from what Crutch said during MEC Media Day earlier this month.
      I get that, but to expect to log significant minutes as frosh at WLU is a hard expectation to meet. He could have been 2 or 3 yr starter, depending on if Monteroso came or not...and would have formed super backcourt with Dennis...I liked his game.

Comment

Monteroso went off last night with 25 points. Also had a nice dunk over Urbana's 6'7'' Center.

Comment

Through 5 games West Liberty is averaging 113 points per game so far.

Guess that answers some of our questions about this team having a drop off in scoring lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
            I get that, but to expect to log significant minutes as frosh at WLU is a hard expectation to meet. He could have been 2 or 3 yr starter, depending on if Monteroso came or not...and would have formed super backcourt with Dennis...I liked his game.
            Some are cut out to play WLU basketball and some aren't. It is always hard to lose a gifted freshman but he's not the first to leave for the chance of more playing time in a program were they believe they will be the "star." He did go off against NAIA Southeastern and upped his season average to 13 PPG.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
              Monteroso went off last night with 25 points. Also had a nice dunk over Urbana's 6'7'' Center.
              Monteroso did go off!! He is the emerging "star" of this years team. Unsung/breakout "star" so far is Meinenger but did you see how well Brandon Smith played as the starter for Meine? VERY solid! 15 points on 4-5 shooting...6-6 from the charity stripe and 6 assists. VERY nice 6th man and spot starter!

Comment

Next up for the Toppers is 4-1 Lemoyne out of the NE10. Lemoyne stands 4-1 on the season under a first year HC. Lemoyne is a junior heavy squad so they have experience. Also a first year HC can change a program rather quickly. Lemoyne has been a consistent just +500 program so they could present a real challenge to the Toppers.

Lemoyne...You are on the clock!

Comment

Le Moyne or Gannon?
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Any word on meinegers injury

Comment

Well....... I see where our old friend Patrick Beilien, the former player at WVU and head coach at WVW for two years is the head coach at Lemoyne. Maybe we can give him an old fashion butt whipping like he got while he was at Wesleyan.

Comment

He tried to fix Le Moyne with band-aids. He took a whole class of used parts. There is some talent on the roster but not nearly enough for this game. WL by 33.

Comment

• Brandon Smith - wlu emerging secret weapon?

I don't think Monterosa is a secret weapon any longer...lol

With each game I am increasingly impressed by Brandon Smith.
                          1) great shooter - I expected that given that he hit 45% of 3s two years ago before his injury.
                          2) when he goes inside he does great spin moves off the dribble while remaining on balance ( like hoehn).
                          3) He keeps his focus on the basket and makes the shot after contact (like Dennis).
                          4) great stroke on foul shot.

If he works on anticipating shots and getting better position to rebound in order to become a force on the boards (ala Hester) he could push for major minutes.

Comments?

Comment

• Re: Brandon Smith - wlu emerging secret weapon?

I see Smith as the critical 6th man and spot starter at shooting guard and front court. He is proving to be a very steady producer who can do everything well. I'd be comfortable with him as a starter but I think right now, he's more valuable at the 6th man. There is usually a "shake up" that occurs in the WLU starting line up when the starting 5 get a little complacent and the Toppers lose a game that they shouldn't. If that happens this year, Smith would probably be moved into the starting 5 due to his versatility.

Comment

WLU lands it's first two recruits for next year:

Marlon Moore, 6'5", 215, Forward from St Benadictine HS OH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuequOCv0s

Keegan Saben, 6'3", 195, Combo Guard from Centerville HS OH. http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6168444/...eead5d90e87601

I like Saben...traditional WLU type guy who has good outside stroke and can handle the ball. Particularly like Moore...not a typical WLU type as he seems to work inside first. That said, he does have a nice little jumper! Imagine him at 230!!

One player to go to replace our three graduating Seniors.

Comment

Geeeez...Talk about doing everything you can to lose a game! WLU 76 Lemoyne 53 final. We shot 34% and 28% from 3 in the first half and scored only 27 points. Better in the second (52%, 62% and 49 points) to get a win by over 20 but this ain't going to work against a truly good team.

BAD game by everyone except Monteroso (9/15 shooting and 6/8 from the charity stripe).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X