• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

At least we played defense lol.

Comment

That was an ugly first half. Great game plan by lemoyne and players were patient against press. Rare to see any team miss so many easy shots in first half. Also spacing was a little off that slowed our ball rotation on offense. Great adjustment in 2nd half to attack basket and get fouled. wlu also ratcheted up the pressure. When lemoyne came out for 2nd half warm-up I knew they were done. They were not even close on their warmup shots. Sign their leg were heavy. The cumulative effect of wlu pressure on mental and physical fatigue is hard to withstand for entire game.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        That was an ugly first half. Great game plan by lemoyne and players were patient against press. Rare to see any team miss so many easy shots in first half. Also spacing was a little off that slowed our ball rotation on offense. Great adjustment in 2nd half to attack basket and get fouled. wlu also ratcheted up the pressure. When lemoyne came out for 2nd half warm-up I knew they were done. They were not even close on their warmup shots. Sign their leg were heavy. The cumulative effect of wlu pressure on mental and physical fatigue is hard to withstand for entire game.
        I am actually surprised that more teams don't try to slow it down vs West Liberty. Belein also did this at WVW when he was there. I'm not saying that any of these teams would win anymore, but it gives them a fighting chance. Look at the past 7-8 years, teams that try and run with WL lose. Point blank...It's like 95% winning percentage. Teams that lower the possessions, and take good shots, have a BETTER chance..not saying they'll win, but they have a better chance. And WL at some point probably gets frustrated and takes a few bad ones, and you never know. I marvel at the coaches that try and run with them...that's not coaching, that's having fun...there's a difference. Kudos to Lemoyne for the effort.

Are Monteroso's past two games a sign that he has shaken off the rust, and will become this teams leading scorer? Or were they an anomaly?

Didn't see the livestream, but saw in Box score Meininger played a min--that's good. But what is up with Clay, Fr?.

Comment

I'm telling you guys, Monteroso is the real deal.

When he was in high school he used to come up and play pick up games with the team for fun. He more than held his own back then. He's also only a JR on the basketball floor according to the roster.

The last two games were NOT an anomaly for him.

Comment

"I am actually surprised that more teams don't try to slow it down vs West Liberty."

I totally agree. You've seen the few times Joe and Crutch have played IUP has tried to do everything possible to slow it down. In the 2014 IUP win down there they slowed it down to the point you could see it was frustrating the WL players. Even that double-OT game the year before (WL win) both stayed under 100 points. Two instant classics.

It baffles me teams try to get in to that run-n-gun with them. You may see some stay close for a bit but then you look up and they're panting and down 30 points. It would be interesting to hear some other MEC points of view (if there were any other MEC basketball posters).

Anyway ... pretty exciting week. The games on the Pick 'Em started to get a lot harder. Time to see some early contenders and pretenders.

Comment

Slowing down WLU is about the only route to beating the Toppers. But even there it depends on WLU shooting poorly from outside. That doesn't happen very often.

If you slow the game down but WLU drills 3 pointers, you lose by 30 with a game score of roughly 100-70.

I you run with the Toppers you lose 135-100.

Try to trade 3's with WLU and you lose 135-90.

If you slow the game down on BOTH ends with constant defensive pressure on the ball coming up and then pack a zone in while at the same time taking the full shot clock to kick it inside to your big's to get WLU's big in foul trouble, you might have a chance. BUUUUTTTT...few teams are capable of doing that over an entire game.

Comment

I'm going to tune in tomorrow for the Fairmont vs Wheeling game. I see Wheeling's ranking but haven't heard much about them so far.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  Slowing down WLU is about the only route to beating the Toppers. But even there it depends on WLU shooting poorly from outside. That doesn't happen very often.

If you slow the game down but WLU drills 3 pointers, you lose by 30 with a game score of roughly 100-70.

I you run with the Toppers you lose 135-100.

Try to trade 3's with WLU and you lose 135-90.

If you slow the game down on BOTH ends with constant defensive pressure on the ball coming up and then pack a zone in while at the same time taking the full shot clock to kick it inside to your big's to get WLU's big in foul trouble, you might have a chance. BUUUUTTTT...few teams are capable of doing that over an entire game.
                  No matter how I try to set this up or frame it, I'm sure some WLU fans will take it the wrong way, but I promise I'm asking a legitimate question and not just trying to come in and talk trash.

With this breakdown in mind, out of curiosity, what have teams done the past several years in the post-season to top the Toppers? I have watched 8-10 regular season games for WLU at different times, but they usually win those handily, and I've seen at least one regular-season loss where an off shooting night did them in (maybe Fairmont last year?...did Fairmont beat them?...I can't remember now), but what kinds of things were Stonehill, Metro State, Central Missouri, Lincoln Memorial, etc. able to do that average schools don't seem to be able to do against the Hilltoppers? Or did all of those games fall into the strategy you broke down above?

Comment

WLU defeats Shepherd 67-64
                    Last edited by cavsfan94; 11-30-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Fairmont st lost twice to west lib last year. Tonite wlib escaped a loss to hang on like they are good at on a not so good shooting nite. But another win and continue to roll with a W

Comment

Poor Shep. They had it. Couldn't close it.

Comment

Shep has a good team. WL just couldn't hit the three's and if they can't shoot from outside they are aren't much better than an average team. Fortunate to get a win tonight.

Comment

It was a good watch. Shep has some players.

Fairmont beat Wheeling in OT.

Comment

Clay and Eric are still out i know clay is for sure definitely affecting us we haven't been the same

Comment

Sunday at fairmont will be a dog fight. Hopefully the shooting is back on target. Meininger and Guillozet were still out vs Shepherd tonite. Well Mein played maybe a minute

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X