Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Our guys missed a lot of layups that even I could make. We also had a few unforced turnovers and ill advised shots that might as well have been turnovers.

Truth is, we still have some inexperience playing on the floor. Losing Seger is most likely hard to overcome from a mental standpoint. Meaning, we have yet to find who will replace him from a leadership standpoint.

It will all workout, and I think we might learn/get better from a close loss such as this. We know we have an excellent coaching staff who will coach these guys up. There is no doubt this team will get better as the season progresses.

Comment

Agree with alot of the aforementioned theories and reasoning...(even mine, up there) They are really operating with out any inside game what so ever...Gross provides great DEFENSIVE rebounding and shot blocking, but won't go in the paint...and over the last 4-5 years, they've some pretty good offensive rebounders...Cockburn, Hester, Morrow... but this team is one and done, so far.

Agree with Down Low....they had a 7 pt lead in each half, and couldn't hang on...on the road...they will be fine...Maybe with the iron 7, they aren't pressing as much bc of fatigure, foul trouble, etc..

Like what smith is bringing...and monteroso..(Good call Flyhawk--you said he was a stud....32 pts on Fairmont on 13-16 shooting is all you need to know)

Get Meiney and Clay back...and they'll be in the convo for hosting...but the stinkin' Atlantic region is BEASTLY....Kutztown, Ship, IUP, Fairmont, WJ and WL....all 6 could win the region.... Where are those Midwest posters who talk about our top heavy region...

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        This tells you everything you need to know about WLUs "inside game" - WLUs leading offensive rebounder yesterday was our back up PG...All 5'9"es of Brady Arnold had 3 offensive rebounds compared to the 2 that our 6'9" "big man" had. The reason teams dont respect our inside game is because we dont have one. Years past when we were shooting 50% from 3, that didnt matter...but now that we are shooting 30%, it means a whole lot!
        Not sure if you're just throwing out a general number, but WL has never shot 50% as a team for a season. Generally around 39-41%. This year 3pt fg% is statistically down about 5 percentage points at 36%, although we are making about 11 per game vs. 12 pg last year. It's early, so these numbers could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
          Not sure if you're just throwing out a general number, but WL has never shot 50% as a team for a season. Generally around 39-41%. This year 3pt fg% is statistically down about 5 percentage points at 36%, although we are making about 11 per game vs. 12 pg last year. It's early, so these numbers could go either way.
          50 was a bit of a stretch but we are currently sitting at 36.3%. Only once in the last 8 seasons have we finished below 40% from 3 (that being 39.7% in 13-14). What has me really concerned is the 29%, 15% and 25% from three we've shot in the last two games and earlier against WCU. Granted, the sample size is small, but absent the Urbana game were we shot 60%, WLU is shooting 33% from three range which would be almost a 10% dip from a typical WLU team. That is a HEALTH drop in production particular for a team that relies so heavily on the three point ball to be effective. There is time to turn things around but the fact that the last two games have been sub-30% doesn't inspire confidence.

Nova Southeast is not a squad to take lightly even though they are 2-4. One of those W's came over #20 So Conn and they also took #9 Barry to the wire before losing by 6.
          Last edited by boatcapt; 12-07-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Picks up commit from will yoakum 6'5 SG from Delaware Ohio http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4882627/will-yoakum

Comment

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
              Lot's of panic on this site over 1 loss. As for the recruiting, it's easy to forget that Chuckie Humphries 6-6 (think rebounding) was a part of this class and did not qualify late------ and enrolled at Polk State JC in Florida. Finding a replacement that late in the cycle at any NCAA level is not easy. Bo Justice (3pt shooter) also transferred out late to Valdosta State. Finally WLU has lost to FSU 3 of the last 4 years and took what is probably their best team down to the wire on their home court . WL will be fine.
              peaking of both:

Humphries is averaging 8.6 ppg on 35% shooting (31% from 3 pt range).
              Beau Justice is averaging 13.7 ppg on 48% shooting (41% from 3).

Comment

Humphries numbers are probably a little hard to judge ... most of those JUCOs play glorified street ball with very little (compared to what we're used to seeing) set offenses, etc.

That said if that 8.6 doesn't increase he may be back on the Hilltop. He won't have D1's lining up for him -- as I'm sure we has told by the underworld of JUCO and AAU.

Comment

Fairmont State 134
                  Davis & Elkins 110

Quite a defensive battle last night ...

244 points scored in 40 minutes ... wow.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;1993271]Humphries numbers are probably a little hard to judge ... most of those JUCOs play glorified street ball with very little (compared to what we're used to seeing) set offenses, etc.

That said if that 8.6 doesn't increase he may be back on the Hilltop. He won't have D1's lining up for him -- as I'm sure we has told by the underworld of JUCO and AAU. [QUOTE]

I was concerned when we started coranating him as a star and starter from day one before he even bounced a basketball in a WLU practice. Would he have had a place in the lineup at WLU? Sure, but probably not as a starter. He would have been a valuable 6th or 7th man this year and perhaps a spot starter. Next year he possibly would have moved into the starting lineup.

I don't think he EVER comes to WLU. Crutch prefers players with 4 years of elgability...followed distantly by D1 xfers and then DII xfers with proven performance. I'm sure he has brought in a JUCO player at some point in the past but I can't think of one at the moment.

Comment

He's at that weird size. He's 6'5" or so (depending what day of week it is) but pencil thin. Not sure he has good enough guard skills and probably too small to play underneath at this level unless he puts on some serious bulk.

I think he's more in the 6'3" range to be honest. There are media photos of him and IUP's freshman Malik Miller standing beside each other and Malik is taller. Miller is 6'4".

I could still see IUP going after him. Humphries and Miller are very close friends.

All I want for XMAS is one 6'9", 245 lb. power forward. Just one. Doesn't even have to start ... just a banger off the bench.

Comment

WL really needs another banger. I really don't understand why Crutch has a whole bench of 6' 2" guards yet only one guy with any size. You can see at the end of the Fairmont game how lack of size really hurt them. Fairmont got several offensive rebounds and put backs the last 2 minutes which turned the game.

Comment

Yes WLU needs a banger, but I didn't see one guy boxing out during that run where FSU was getting second chances. Have to get a body on those guys!

Comment

West Lib pulls out the win 84 67 against Nova Southeastern was close late in game but Hilltoppers prevailed. Monteroso with 40 pts!!!!!
                            Last edited by Chevydude89; 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM. Reason: Mis spelling

Comment

As they say, a win is a win and it's better to be sitting at 8-1 as opposed to 1-8. But make no mistake, WLU is not playing well at all at this point in the season. We have effectively become a team with one star (Monteroso) and a collection of bit players. Nova is a fair team that had no reason to be within 20 points of WLU. Seasons past, WLU beats them 120-80. Fact that stayed very close throughout the second half speaks volumes about the 2016-17 Toppers. Yes Monteroso scored 40 points including going 7-11 from 3. But the down side of that is that the rest of the team shot 32% from the field and a truly woeful 16% from 3.

So what do we do? We really don't have many options here beyond just hoping that Monteroso stays hot and at least three of our players break out of their funks all at once and start performing. Beyond just hope, only thing we can do is perhaps break the redshirt on one of our two freshmen and hope they can at least give us some instant offense.

Here's hoping true freshman Clay Gauzollet come back quickly and that he produces.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                As they say, a win is a win and it's better to be sitting at 8-1 as opposed to 1-8. But make no mistake, WLU is not playing well at all at this point in the season. We have effectively become a team with one star (Monteroso) and a collection of bit players. Nova is a fair team that had no reason to be within 20 points of WLU. Seasons past, WLU beats them 120-80. Fact that stayed very close throughout the second half speaks volumes about the 2016-17 Toppers. Yes Monteroso scored 40 points including going 7-11 from 3. But the down side of that is that the rest of the team shot 32% from the field and a truly woeful 16% from 3.

So what do we do? We really don't have many options here beyond just hoping that Monteroso stays hot and at least three of our players break out of their funks all at once and start performing. Beyond just hope, only thing we can do is perhaps break the redshirt on one of our two freshmen and hope they can at least give us some instant offense.

Here's hoping true freshman Clay Gauzollet come back quickly and that he produces.
                                Good points, boat. Monteroso is better than advertised, and to put up 40 last night, and 32 vs Fairmont....Fair to say, Flyhawk was right---total stud. He's shooting such a great percentage, not sure the pace wll continue.

But what troubles me is Hoehn. 3 yr starter, top 20 scorer all time, and he's stuggling from 3. 1-8 last night. Something is amiss....and I don't know what it is....

I guess they are 8-1, with the only loss being vs. top 5 team, and held 7 pt lead with 5 mins to go... But it's not last year's or the year befores or the year before's hilltoppers...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X