Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Don't know if it is, but that sounds right.
    15 can dress for the game - no limit to people listed on roster. WJU used to have at least 20 on their roster.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_pe...asketball_team

There is no limit on the number of players on a team. The NCAA limits scholarships to 13, and 15 total can suit up for a game. Kentucky had 20 players on the team in Billy G's last year. Obviously five of those did not make the trip for away games or suit up for home games.

Comment

If you dress for all the games, but never get in can that count for a red shirt year? Because in the past the guys that WL were redshirting were always in street clothes on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
        If you dress for all the games, but never get in can that count for a red shirt year? Because in the past the guys that WL were redshirting were always in street clothes on the bench.
        Technically, a redshirt player is allowed to suit up for the game. As long as they don't play, it does not affect the redshirt.
        Being in street clothes serves as a failsafe mechanism to keep a mistake from inadvertently allowing the redshirt in the game. In the case of a transfer, street clothes would definitely be in order, as a similar mistake would be akin to playing an ineligible player in the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Realistically, I don't think this will happen, but wouldn't it be amazing if WLU sent 3 waves of lineups at opponents, each playing intense pressure defense for 2-4 minutes? It would require tremendous parity among the players and of course would depend on the match ups. It would make it difficult for opponents to get comfortable with the skills and tendencies of the player guarding them. The physical and mental stress on opponents would be something to see, especially if they are not disciplined and their coach is not top-notch.

I am looking forward to next year when Boswell can play with Bolon. His game seems to be perfectly suited for the WLU style.
          As I recall, UNC did somthing like this "back in the day." They would play their "end of the bench" 5 as a unit for a 2 minute stretch with instructions to press, harass, try and jump every pass and play HARD D (including giving HARD fouls to the opposing team stars). Players gave maximum effort knowing that they didnt need to "save" anything because they weren't going back in!

Comment

New commit http://verbalcommits.com/players/owen-hazelbaker

Comment

Losing 5 seniors after this year. Starting the replenishment! Nice to start off with a 6" 7" guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                Saw him play in all star game in late march featuring best central ohio underclassmen.
                Thought he was the best big man on the floor.
                High motor, unselfish, great stroke on the 3, good ball skills and foot movement, aggressive rebounder.
                Actually tried to play team ball, which is rare in an all star game.
                Has body type of a tight end, so in a weight program he could really become a dominant physical inside force.
                Could be still growing.
                Has 4.3 GPA as a Junior so that definitely does not hurt.
                He is one of those guys who was under the radar but is improving rapidly with a very high upside.
                Last edited by Columbuseer; 09-15-2018, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Seems like he will fit well into your system

Comment

I saw where Street and Smith has WLU ranked #1 in their preseason rankings. Based on the end of last season, I really cannot understand that ranking. Y'all would know better than I, is that ranking defensible?

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                      I saw where Street and Smith has WLU ranked #1 in their preseason rankings. Based on the end of last season, I really cannot understand that ranking. Y'all would know better than I, is that ranking defensible?
                      Don't they start every year at No. 1?

It will be interesting if the coaches vote them No. 1 in the MEC poll ahead of Fairmont State?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Don't they start every year at No. 1?

It will be interesting if the coaches vote them No. 1 in the MEC poll ahead of Fairmont State?
                        WLU number 1 is frankly a surprise to me - given that All American Monteroso is gone. But they seem to surprise me every year after they lose an All American player - Falk, Harris, Bonefant, Monteroso. I am curious as to their rationale for the ranking. I could see top 10 pre-season, perhaps just based on reputation.
                        But pre-season #1 and $3 will get you a starbucks so it does not mean much, other than to generate conversation.

There are so many teams one could argue could be Number 1, to name a few:
                        Lincoln Memorial
                        Queens
                        Bellarmine
                        Valdosta State (thanks to 2 ex hilltoppers)?
                        And looming in the shadows.... Nova Southeastern.

Fairmont state always has great talent - I really like Jolly's game. But for many years, one could depend on Fairmont having 5-7 bonehead offensive possession every game, like "heat check" shots. They don't value every possession, which has hurt them against less athletic teams like WLU and WJU who have more disciplined players who actually listen to their coaches.

Comment

The actual reality is nobody gives a whiz about D2 basketball. The assistant to the intern likely makes this poll at S&S.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                            I'll confess, I'm a huge Hilltopper fan...but also fairly objective..

And I do think WL has a really good national reputation in D2, for what it's worth... And therefore the "uninformed" national folks figure that they are always a good bet to be land in the Top 5 or so...And they are buoyed by what has never been a murderer's row of non conference opponents... add it all up, and you land in the top 10...

That being said, they lost a d2 all american in Monteroso, lost a good solid, D1 transfer in James Griffin, lost a good PG in Jordan Watson...and lost a Swiss Army knife player in Brandon Smith...

And I agree with IUP BIG INdIANS, it's usually more newsworthy when they aren't preseason #1.... They'll be good, but no way should they be preseason #1!

Comment

The roster is posted on WL website..

5 seniors this year...and honestly, not sure how many will even start..

I'm assuming that Boswell has to sit out this year, right? I can't imagine the wing play they will have after this season, with Bolon and Boswell on both wings...That's an enviable D2 combo of guards...

Here's my prediction on starters this year:
                              PG: Brady Arnold, if healthy. Back up: Yahel Hill or Luke Dyer. (One of these backups may be redshirt candidate)

SG: Dalton Bolon. Pencil him in for the next 3 years. Solid, solid player. Maybe a d2 AA in a few years.

#3: Evan French. Maybe their best shooter. Back up guards: Nate Allen, Ariel Watson and Keegan Saben

PF: Eric Meininger. Has carved out a nice niche for himself, and is a tough match up with other bigs bc of shooting stroke. Back up: Tyler Primmer

Center, but really another Forward at WL: Nick Greely. Will operate like Grossenbacher did...hitting 3's, getting boards, providing muscle inside. Back up: Marlon Moore.

You know, if you look at that lineup, it's pretty good.. And one thing I've noticed with WL program, there is always a surprise player that didn't do much at all last year... Maybe that's Keegan Saben or Marlon Moore this year...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                                The roster is posted on WL website..

... And one thing I've noticed with WL program, there is always a surprise player that didn't do much at all last year... Maybe that's Keegan Saben or Marlon Moore this year...
                                Last edited by Columbuseer; 09-21-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X