Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    While it was a lot like hosting, WLU did technically win the Regionals on the road at WJU three years ago. Think that was the year that Hurst beat WJU at WJU. I think the last time the Regional host has won was when WLU won in 2013.
    I thought it had been awhile. That's crazy.

No doubt, though, it helps the local economy for the host school.

I remember the game when Mercyhurst upset them. When the Lakers have the right athletes that zone they run can be deadly -- especially if you never see it. Even in their down years they are always a pain to play.

Comment

Fairmont State hosted and won in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
        Fairmont State hosted and won in 2017.
        You are RIGHT! How'd we miss that???

Comment

Getting fancy. They look great. Nice work.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            High risk, high reward vs lower risk, high reward. WLU has always done things "differently" than other teams or the traditional ways of doing things AND they have been very successful at it. Now it appears, at least in scheduling, we are giving in to conventional wisdom and changing what we have been successful at. As happens in almost everything, a change in one area results in a change in other unanticipated areas. If we continue to schedule tough games to open the year, we are going to have to change how we approach the early season and the pre season camp. Also, you have to face the reality that there is a good chance you could have two more losses than you might typically have which will probably equal lower chances of hosting the Regional Tourney.

But weather it is a good idea or not, it seems like we have changed. We'll see starting this year weather that change produces good results and starting with the next recruiting class, we'll see if there are other unanticipated changes this focus on the early season causes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Getting fancy. They look great. Nice work.
              Appreciate it, we finally discovered the internet on the hilltop :)

Comment

FYI
                insincere carry started for Duquesne- 29 min, 9 assists , 2 steals, 7 points

Beat William and Mary 84-70

Comment

WLU "lapped the MEC field" last year by 3 games over WJ and 4 games over Fairmont.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    FYI
                    insincere carry started for Duquesne- 29 min, 9 assists , 2 steals, 7 points

Beat William and Mary 84-70
                    I watched him. He can play.

Comment

While it was a lot like hosting, WLU did technically win the Regionals on the road at WJU three years ago. Think that was the year that Hurst beat WJU at WJU. I think the last time the Regional host has won was when WLU won in 2013. WLU's out of conference slate that year? Cedarville, Findlay, Point Park, PR-Mayaguez and PR-Bayamon.
                      Who WL played in non conference the year they won the regional doesn't really mean that's why they won the regional...you realize that, right?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        I watched him. He can play.
                        I'm a little surprised that he started. I just hope that Duquesne develops his basketball IQ and complete game as much as WL would have done so that he can make a good living by playing in Europe. To star at WL, you have to develop to be complete in all facets, passing, shooting, rebounding, team defense, defense in open court, etc., which is important in Europe.

IMHO, at his height and measurables, his post college destination is Europe, not the NBA (unless he wants to play for peanuts in the G league to continue to chase the dream). In addition, since he was not a superstar recruit in D1 (compared to D2), he is always vulnerable to the risk of being supplanted by next year's superstar of the recruiting class at his position.

Europe appears to be much more unbiased in taking players solely on their complete game, not on whether they played D1 or D2. WL has Bonifant, Grossenbacher and Monterosa playing in Europe from recent classes.

Good luck to him and hope he stays injury free.

Comment

WLU "lapped the MEC field" last year by 3 games over WJ and 4 games over Fairmont.
                          And still it was not enough to host the region! I think Coach Howlett has come to the realization that we have to play 2-3 tough OOC teams to be on a level playing field when it comes to hosting or getting a high seed in the regional. The fact that other MEC teams played and won against good PSAC teams will also help us, if we should defeat those MEC teams convincingly.

Also, we need experience playing different styles with strong teams who have traditional centers and power forwards, in order to get prepared to face a team like last year's Ferris State in the tourney, for example. Not many of those in the MEC.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that he started. I just hope that Duquesne develops his basketball IQ and complete game as much as WL would have done so that he can make a good living by playing in Europe. To star at WL, you have to develop to be complete in all facets, passing, shooting, rebounding, team defense, defense in open court, etc., which is important in Europe.

IMHO, at his height and measurables, his post college destination is Europe, not the NBA (unless he wants to play for peanuts in the G league to continue to chase the dream). In addition, since he was not a superstar recruit in D1 (compared to D2), he is always vulnerable to the risk of being supplanted by next year's superstar of the recruiting class at his position.

Europe appears to be much more unbiased in taking players solely on their complete game, not on whether they played D1 or D2. WL has Bonifant, Grossenbacher and Monterosa playing in Europe from recent classes.

Good luck to him and hope he stays injury free.

Easy there. He's no NBA player. Not even close. Duquesne doesn't land many 'superstars', either. That said, Duquesne finally has a very good coach in Dambrodt. If it works out, he should have a very good career there.

Comment

And still it was not enough to host the region! I think Coach Howlett has come to the realization that we have to play 2-3 tough OOC teams to be on a level playing field when it comes to hosting or getting a high seed in the regional. The fact that other MEC teams played and won against good PSAC teams will also help us, if we should defeat those MEC teams convincingly.

Also, we need experience playing different styles with strong teams who have traditional centers and power forwards, in order to get prepared to face a team like last year's Ferris State in the tourney, for example. Not many of those in the MEC.
                              Well, you saw Sleva first hand last year.

I see what you're saying. That's what was so obviously apparent watching Concord up here. They are built for a run-n-gun style. I think their biggest player was maybe 6'6" and they got creamed under the basket by IUP. IUP's whole game plan on them was to slow the game down and Concord really struggled with it. Bolte got his points but he was visibly frustrated. IUP's plan on him was to shut down the rest of his team. UPJ did the complete opposite and sold out on Bolte ... and then their No. 2 went for like 30-some. UPJ also didn't have the ability to control the pace.

Joe commented in the paper that you just have to hold Bolte to his average and shut the rest of the team down ... one guy can't beat you. That's exactly what they did.
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X