Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    WLU "lapped the MEC field" last year by 3 games over WJ and 4 games over Fairmont.

Comment

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      High risk, high reward vs lower risk, high reward. WLU has always done things "differently" than other teams or the traditional ways of doing things AND they have been very successful at it. Now it appears, at least in scheduling, we are giving in to conventional wisdom and changing what we have been successful at. As happens in almost everything, a change in one area results in a change in other unanticipated areas. If we continue to schedule tough games to open the year, we are going to have to change how we approach the early season and the pre season camp. Also, you have to face the reality that there is a good chance you could have two more losses than you might typically have which will probably equal lower chances of hosting the Regional Tourney.

But weather it is a good idea or not, it seems like we have changed. We'll see starting this year weather that change produces good results and starting with the next recruiting class, we'll see if there are other unanticipated changes this focus on the early season causes.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Easy there. He's no NBA player. Not even close. Duquesne doesn't land many 'superstars', either. That said, Duquesne finally has a very good coach in Dambrodt. If it works out, he should have a very good career there.
        You and I agree he is not nba. But many athletes are delusional. Dukes did get a 3 star guard in Maceo Austin who had interest from big 10 and Pitt so if dambrot turns it around u might see a higher recruiting result.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          Adapt or die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          We will see if that extra loss impacts their seeding more than the SOS boost helps them. I tend to think losses, no matter who they are to, hurt you more than they help.

But remember, SOS and W/L are not the only selection criteria that the selection committee is supposed to use. WLU now has an extra loss vs. an in region opponent (that is one of the criteria), they have a current PI of 18 (had they scheduled two tomato cans they would have a PI of no worse than 24), etc. You go right down the line and it is clear that a loss, even to a good team, hurts more than it helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            We will see if that extra loss impacts their seeding more than the SOS boost helps them. I tend to think losses, no matter who they are to, hurt you more than they help.

But remember, SOS and W/L are not the only selection criteria that the selection committee is supposed to use. WLU now has an extra loss vs. an in region opponent (that is one of the criteria), they have a current PI of 18 (had they scheduled two tomato cans they would have a PI of no worse than 24), etc. You go right down the line and it is clear that a loss, even to a good team, hurts more than it helps.

Comment

Can we move on to talking about the games and not "schedule-gate" for WL?

Nice effort last night vs Salem...shot really well...and Salem had no chance, if you run and gun with no purpose vs them, you won't win..

Next two games will be very indicative of how WL stacks up early....Glenville St saturday...They have nice transfer from Marshall, Bledsoe, and was recruited by WL, I believe. And then they play at WVW, who has gotten off to surprise start with wins over WC and Kutz.

Any word on Bolton's eye? Any word on Evan French-is he injured?

I like how this team plays...but if they're hitting their 3's, it's tough to slow them down...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Nice effort last night vs Salem...shot really well...and Salem had no chance, if you run and gun with no purpose vs them, you won't win..

Next two games will be very indicative of how WL stacks up early....Glenville St saturday...They have nice transfer from Marshall, Bledsoe, and was recruited by WL, I believe. And then they play at WVW, who has gotten off to surprise start with wins over WC and Kutz.

I like how this team plays...but if they're hitting their 3's, it's tough to slow them down...

You guys going for style points last night draining two treys up 20 with a minute left?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  You guys going for style points last night draining two treys up 20 with a minute left?
                  They had closed the lead from 32 to 24...what choice did we have??!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    They had closed the lead from 32 to 24...what choice did we have??!!
                    Lol ... good answer. Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

I don't know about Bolton's eye, but it is cool to have a pirate on the floor for us! Also doesn't seem to be hurting his free throwing so maybe Ben should get one for the rest of the team to use when they are shooting free throws!

I read an article about French and it said he should be cleared to play in two weeks. I think the article was from last week so...next week?? Didn't say what the injury was (sprained ankle...knee surgery??) or how long he was laid up so no way of telling if he will be in game shape when he does come back.

Surprises early: Red Shirt Freshman Will Yoakum - 3 starts and 3 solid games. Averaging 21 minutes and 13 PPG. Less surprising but still good to see, True Freshman Yahel Hill - 3 starts and 3 solid games. Averaging 22 minutes and 8 PPG.

More than I hoped: Brady Arnold. Not starting, yet, but boy is he having an impact. Didn't know if he would be just a "good news" story who got a few minutes to be able to say he was back or if he truly was back. He's back and appears to actually be better than before. Season is young and he may still wear down but if he continues playing like this, we will be in excellent shape at PG (weather he stays the primary back up or becomes the starter again).

Don't like: Bolon's 3 point shooting. OK, he's playing with one eye so that is probably effecting his accuracy a bit but he's got to recognize that and throttle back on the 3's! He's attempted 25 which is over double any other player on the team!! Drive to the hole or give the ball up Dalton because everything else you are doing is MONEY...just not the 3...not right now!!

Sneeky good: Marlon Moore all around game. Only averaging 11 minutes per game but 9 ppg and #2 on the team in rebounds. Not getting a lot of time, yet, but if he continues to play like he has, his minutes and production will go up.

A little concerning: Saben. Averaging 13 minutes but only 2 ppg on 2 for 9 shooting (.222). He's doing OK in rebounds and assists so maybe he's going to be our Mr All Around...Not great in any one area but solid across the board? He will need to shoot a much higher % to continue to see minutes.

Comment

Saw Salem game. Rapid improvement in team play in both platoons. Hard to believe level of play with 2 fr. 2 sophomores and 1 sr. In starting lineup.

Hill - always been a scorer but his defense and pressure is rapidly improving. Has the physical skills to be a lock down defender eventually..

Yoakum- his comfort and performance is rapidly improving. He is a high flying player who also has great range. He will be a matchup nightmare in a couple of years.

Dyer- great assists and effort. More aggressive in attacking the defense.

Moore - hit 3s and provided strong defense and rebounding. High motor.

Watson- a scoring machine that I want to jokingly call earl the pearl based on his style. Just needs to work on every other part of his game. The good news is that imho being able to create your own shot is a gift that is hard to teach. The other skills can be learned if you have the desire to work really hard. Wlu is the perfect place for him to round out his game which is critical if he wants to play overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                          Saw Salem game. Rapid improvement in team play in both platoons. Hard to believe level of play with 2 fr. 2 sophomores and 1 sr. In starting lineup.

Hill - always been a scorer but his defense and pressure is rapidly improving. Has the physical skills to be a lock down defender eventually..

Yoakum- his comfort and performance is rapidly improving. He is a high flying player who also has great range. He will be a matchup nightmare in a couple of years.

Dyer- great assists and effort. More aggressive in attacking the defense.

Moore - hit 3s and provided strong defense and rebounding. High motor.

Watson- a scoring machine that I want to jokingly call earl the pearl based on his style. Just needs to work on every other part of his game. The good news is that imho being able to create your own shot is a gift that is hard to teach. The other skills can be learned if you have the desire to work really hard. Wlu is the perfect place for him to round out his game which is critical if he wants to play overseas.
                          FYI - If you missed a game you can view it here:

https://team1sports.com/hilltoppersports/
                          Then click on "On Demand" button and then select WLU versus Salem

Comment

87 points in the first half.

Comment

Glenville should have fired its coach at halftime.

Comment

WL breaks its own record for most points scored at 158, record was 157

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X