Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Hill and yoakum are much more complete players at this time and have earned 1st platoon. Hill has yet to commit a turnover and yoakum is also a great offensive force who is growing in confidence. Both were effective against the zone.
    Imho If Watson wants to play overseas he needs to want to become a complete player he needs to emulate the play of those ahead of him.
    He has the skills...he just has to have the willingness to adapt. Doesn't seem like he "get's it" just yet and that is a shame because he would increase his market value considerably by showing he is coachable and can adapt to various styles while continuing to play at a high level. Got to be more than a one trick pony if you want coaches in Europe to take a second look!!

Comment

• Comment

Three fall signings

https://twitter.com/mlamberti24/stat...252428288?s=21
        Last edited by Layton; 11-20-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
          He has the skills...he just has to have the willingness to adapt. Doesn't seem like he "get's it" just yet and that is a shame because he would increase his market value considerably by showing he is coachable and can adapt to various styles while continuing to play at a high level. Got to be more than a one trick pony if you want coaches in Europe to take a second look!!
          I am a big fan of Watson and want him to succeed.
          It is very rare for a first year player to fit into the WL system.
          I agree that he has the quickness and strength to improve on the rest of his game and become a complete player. Improving in these areas has to become an obsession with him.
          The good news for him is that he has the gift that is very hard to teach - to be able to create and make your own shot when needed. Folks either have it or they don't.
          I think of Earl the Pearl Monroe or George Ice Man Gervin (of course at a another level of skill)

In comparison, the other stuff to learn is relatively easy in my opinion. Once he improves and adapts to WL stye of intense defense and unselfish play, Europe will coming knocking at his door after his senior year.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
            I have seen Hazelbaker and Conley play. In a central Ohio all star game in March, I thought Hazelbaker was the most complete big man on the floor, better than some D1 recruits. Very high motor, very strong physically and runs well. Not afraid to mix it up inside. Not a frail, skinny guy; built kind of like a tight end. He was unselfish and actually tried to play team ball. 4.3 GPA as a Jr and high SAT score. Very, very intelligent defender who watches a lot of film on opponent's plays.

Evan Conley is a true point guard - great 3 pt stroke; Totally unselfish and high basketball IQ. does not make many turnovers. Will need to get stronger, somewhat like Yoakum did last year. Was not intimidated in all star game against central Ohio's best.

Watched some highlights of Butler and was very impressed. Plays on team with a D1 recruit.
            Very complete player.

Comment

I am a big fan of Watson and want him to succeed.
              It is very rare for a first year player to fit into the WL system.
              I agree that he has the quickness and strength to improve on the rest of his game and become a complete player. Improving in these areas has to become an obsession with him.
              The good news for him is that he has the gift that is very hard to teach - to be able to create and make your own shot when needed. Folks either have it or they don't.
              I think of Earl the Pearl Monroe or George Ice Man Gervin (of course at a another level of skill)

In comparison, the other stuff to learn is relatively easy in my opinion. Once he improves and adapts to WL stye of intense defense and unselfish play, Europe will coming knocking at his door after his senior year.
              Once you have the basic skill set, WLU's "style" is not that complex or difficult. Unfortunately, a lot of players just don't want to play the high intensity, constant pressure, unselfish game that is necessary at WLU...getting into condition is hard...playing defense is hard and unrewarding (at least if you live measure your worth by the point line like MANY players now days do)...being unselfish and passing is unrewarding (and again, doesn't add to the players personal stat sheet). Watson has all the necessary basketball skills to succeed at WLU...the rest is weather he wants to succeed at WLU. Over the years, WLU has had a number of highly skilled players that just didn't want to do what it took to be successful at WLU.

Comment

With Dyer, Hill, and Boswell on board next year, I look for Conley to be redshirted. That way he can learn system, mature and put on a little weight and strength. You will also have Saben at guard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                  With Dyer, Hill, and Boswell on board next year, I look for Conley to be redshirted. That way he can learn system, mature and put on a little weight and strength. You will also have Saben at guard as well.
                  I think hazelbaker will also likely redshirt.
                  Look out for Alessandro next year after a redshirt year. Much like yoakum. Understands the game.

Comment

Once you have the basic skill set, WLU's "style" is not that complex or difficult. Unfortunately, a lot of players just don't want to play the high intensity, constant pressure, unselfish game that is necessary at WLU...getting into condition is hard...playing defense is hard and unrewarding (at least if you live measure your worth by the point line like MANY players now days do)...being unselfish and passing is unrewarding (and again, doesn't add to the players personal stat sheet). Watson has all the necessary basketball skills to succeed at WLU...the rest is weather he wants to succeed at WLU. Over the years, WLU has had a number of highly skilled players that just didn't want to do what it took to be successful at WLU.
                    I agree. On a positive note, many guys developed into complete players. For example, When Seger arrived he was primarily a 3 pt shooter . By his junior year he had a post game with his back to the basket and improved in other areas too. Now in 3rd year of European ball and doing well.
                    As u said, it is whether you want to put in the work until u earn your way to more playing time.

Comment

I agree. On a positive note, many guys developed into complete players. For example, When Seger arrived he was primarily a 3 pt shooter . By his junior year he had a post game with his back to the basket and improved in other areas too. Now in 3rd year of European ball and doing well.
                      As u said, it is whether you want to put in the work until u earn your way to more playing time.
                      I agree that players often grow into more playing time by putting in the work. Buuuuuttttttt...Those are primarily HS recruits that have 4 to 5 years to "grow." When a JUCO like Watson comes in, you're looking at a much compressed period of "growing" that should be necessary. Just the nature of the beast...With a JUCO most teams are looking for a turn key player because they don't have much college eligibility left. I would say by the middle of this season he needs to be almost fully on board with the WLU system and style or he will run the risk of being shown the door at the end of the year. Much rather expend minutes on a Freshman or Sophomore that will have more time being successful after they get it than a JUCO who will be gone after next season.

Watson is a gifted basketball player so what WLU is expecting from him should not be foreign concepts. He's been through camp so he should be in good enough shape...the defensive press concepts WLU runs are not unique in basketball so he should have some sort of foundation in them...in the offensive end, don't take the shot unless you are completely open...maintain your spacing...ALWAYS be prepared to receive a pass AND always be prepared to pass the ball...NEVER take "heat check" shots...and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stop to admire your shot (i.e. Get back on defense ALL the time!!)!!
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I agree that players often grow into more playing time by putting in the work. Buuuuuttttttt...Those are primarily HS recruits that have 4 to 5 years to "grow." When a JUCO like Watson comes in, you're looking at a much compressed period of "growing" that should be necessary. Just the nature of the beast...With a JUCO most teams are looking for a turn key player because they don't have much college eligibility left. I would say by the middle of this season he needs to be almost fully on board with the WLU system and style or he will run the risk of being shown the door at the end of the year. Much rather expend minutes on a Freshman or Sophomore that will have more time being successful after they get it than a JUCO who will be gone after next season.

Watson is a gifted basketball player so what WLU is expecting from him should not be foreign concepts. He's been through camp so he should be in good enough shape...the defensive press concepts WLU runs are not unique in basketball so he should have some sort of foundation in them...in the offensive end, don't take the shot unless you are completely open...maintain your spacing...ALWAYS be prepared to receive a pass AND always be prepared to pass the ball...NEVER take "heat check" shots...and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stop to admire your shot (i.e. Get back on defense ALL the time!!)!!
                        Once again, very good points.
                        I don't think he will be shown the door as long as he is trying both athletically and academically, as it is just not the WLU culture.
                        But time is his enemy, not his friend. Needs to be obsessively driven to improve. May need to spend extra time on his own.
                        A lot of work, especially for a full-time college student, but there is the potential for high reward.
                        WLU skill development is a good fit for European basketball.

I have a feeling he knows that or he would not have come to WLU. WLU gives NO guarantees of playing time.
                        Still, he has probably always been "The Man", so it is probably very disappointing to get limited minutes. Probably did not want to redshirt, which would have addressed your observation. Other players have gone through the same shock when they arrive at WLU and see that everyone was a 1000 point scorer or star on their team. Hope he takes the long term view.

On another topic, When I look at the performance improvement of Eric Meininger after losing 15 lbs, I wonder if Greely could benefit from dropping some weight through dietary changes. He has a D1 power forward body and seems to struggle running all out for extended periods. Also needs to get more arc and better rotation on his shot.

Comment

Once again, very good points.
                          I don't think he will be shown the door as long as he is trying both athletically and academically, as it is just not the WLU culture.
                          But time is his enemy, not his friend. Needs to be obsessively driven to improve. May need to spend extra time on his own.
                          A lot of work, especially for a full-time college student, but there is the potential for high reward.
                          WLU skill development is a good fit for European basketball.

I have a feeling he knows that or he would not have come to WLU. WLU gives NO guarantees of playing time.
                          Still, he has probably always been "The Man", so it is probably very disappointing to get limited minutes. Probably did not want to redshirt, which would have addressed your observation. Other players have gone through the same shock when they arrive at WLU and see that everyone was a 1000 point scorer or star on their team. Hope he takes the long term view.

On another topic, When I look at the performance improvement of Eric Meininger after losing 15 lbs, I wonder if Greely could benefit from dropping some weight through dietary changes. He has a D1 power forward body and seems to struggle running all out for extended periods. Also needs to get more arc and better rotation on his shot.
                          As long as Watson is not disruptive OR takes up a spot for an incoming freshman, I'd be ok with him staying even if he doesn't develop into a big minute guy. May be an odd night or two during the season when we need the particular skills he has. Hopefully it is a moot point and he starts to "get it" and develop over the next month or two and he becomes a productive part of the rotation. But the window for JUCO's to "develop" is SMALL.

If losing weight is what Greely needs to give him the stamina to play consistent productive minutes, I'm all for it! But I wonder if there isn't a place for him this year at his current size? Seems like at least once a year, we get seriously challenged by a team that has a legit big man that plays a traditional big man game. Often, we don't have an answer and we struggle to beat that team. At least with Greely at his current size, we have someone who can at least challenge that player. But I would caution that if that is what we envision for Greely this year, we need to find minutes for him and run defensive sets during those minutes that permit him to "hone those skills" (which are outside of what WLU normally does). Don't want to have a big beating us like a drum in the playoffs and ask Greely to do things he hasn't done all year.

Comment

Article on 3 signings:
                            https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...nted-trio.aspx

Comment

As long as Watson is not disruptive OR takes up a spot for an incoming freshman, I'd be ok with him staying even if he doesn't develop into a big minute guy. May be an odd night or two during the season when we need the particular skills he has. Hopefully it is a moot point and he starts to "get it" and develop over the next month or two and he becomes a productive part of the rotation. But the window for JUCO's to "develop" is SMALL.

If losing weight is what Greely needs to give him the stamina to play consistent productive minutes, I'm all for it! But I wonder if there isn't a place for him this year at his current size? Seems like at least once a year, we get seriously challenged by a team that has a legit big man that plays a traditional big man game. Often, we don't have an answer and we struggle to beat that team. At least with Greely at his current size, we have someone who can at least challenge that player. But I would caution that if that is what we envision for Greely this year, we need to find minutes for him and run defensive sets during those minutes that permit him to "hone those skills" (which are outside of what WLU normally does). Don't want to have a big beating us like a drum in the playoffs and ask Greely to do things he hasn't done all year.
                              I watched the Glenville game again. Nick needs a lot of work on defense. Stands too tall in defensive stance that affects mobility and vertical quickness.

Comment

Much has been said about WLU not recruiting "athletes." The underlying subtext seems to be that WLU's players are "system guys" that excel because of the unique system WLU employs. I've felt that way also. But is that really true? Are WLU's players the product of the "system" and would they suffer elsewere? Starting with Beau Justice, WLU has had a number of quality players either transfer or highly valued recruits chose not to go to WLU. So how are these players performing this year and has WLU been able to replace them? Here are the list of players that have transferred/chose not to attend WLU after signing LOI's:

Dave Dennis, Nova Southeastern, Starter averaging 23 PPG
                                James Griffin, Univ of HI Helo, Starter averaging 19 PPG
                                Clay Guillozet, Valdosta, Starter averaging 10 PPG
                                Beau Justice, Valdosta, Starter averaging 20 PPG
                                Nick Smith, Nova Southeastern, Starter averaging 7 PPG
                                Chunky Humphries, IUP, Averaging 1 PPG
                                Sincere Carry, Duquesne, Starter Averaging 10 PPG

The team of WLU transfers would be averaging 90 points per game! That's pretty good. So has WLU been able to replace these seven players? Yea, yea they have. WLU's current top seven scores are averaging 89 points per game.

It would never happen for sooo many reasons, but had the top five transfers not transferred and we had our current top five, that combined WLU team would be averaging 149 points per game!!!

The really crazy part of this is one person has had a hand in evaluating and recruiting all these players...Ben Howlett! Couple that with the on court performance of the Toppers last year and so far this and that is a pretty good resume stuffer for a second year HC!!!! If he has on court success this year and next and has further equal recruiting success and you have to start wondering how long it will be before D1's start noticing him!
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X