Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    At a school like WVU the perks are not comparable. It's easier to accept riding the pine or playing a small role when the facilities are awesome, you are flying to away games, eating and staying at top notch restaurants and hotels, and getting a ton of cool Nike gear and shoes. Compared to having some dominoes and a bottle of water during a 4 hour bus ride home.

Comment

I agree Chuck Norris. Over the last few years I have watched quite a few guards in the MEC and PSAC that could have made the same contributions to WVU as the WVU guard has that was mentioned previously in this post. And that is no knock on him at all it's just there are some pretty good guards at the D2 level that could contribute at that level.

I have seen too many times a D1 transfer come down to D2 and not turn out to be the star that some think.

Comment

I agree Chuck Norris. Over the last few years I have watched quite a few guards in the MEC and PSAC that could have made the same contributions to WVU as the WVU guard has that was mentioned previously in this post. And that is no knock on him at all it's just there are some pretty good guards at the D2 level that could contribute at that level.

I have seen too many times a D1 transfer come down to D2 and not turn out to be the star that some think.
        Guess it comes down to do you want to play or do you want to practice? I think if you truly love the game you play, you want to play regardless of the amount of free swagg you get.

Comment

We used to call guys like this "clock watchers." They got to work at the stroke of 7, were gone for their lunch hour at exactly 12 and didn't return until exactly 1 and then at the stroke of 4 all you'd see of them was the sole of there feet as they left the building. But invariably they were the first in the food line for the monthly "birthday party!!" When you did hang out with these guys on the odd Friday, they constantly talked about how hard they work and how management just doesn't appreciate all they do for the company!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Guess it comes down to do you want to play or do you want to practice? I think if you truly love the game you play, you want to play regardless of the amount of free swagg you get.

Comment

Exactly!! Not right to really judge at but that's what we do sometimes haha.

Comment

Comment

We used to call guys like this "clock watchers." They got to work at the stroke of 7, were gone for their lunch hour at exactly 12 and didn't return until exactly 1 and then at the stroke of 4 all you'd see of them was the sole of there feet as they left the building. But invariably they were the first in the food line for the monthly "birthday party!!" When you did hang out with these guys on the odd Friday, they constantly talked about how hard they work and how management just doesn't appreciate all they do for the company!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Take a step further most of those 'roster fillers' at the end of the bench are walk-ons ... i.e. paying their own way to often times VERY expensive P5 schools.

Pitt had a local token the past 4 years. They let him start on senior day and he was out of the game in about 12 seconds.

Each his own, I suppose.

Comment

I read on a basketball recruting site that only 40% of players that come out of HS to a D1 program are playing basketball at ANY level by the end of their sophomore year. Of the 60% that quit D1 basketball only 20% continue college and get their degree. At the DII/D3 level, 80% of players continue playing into their Junior and Senior years.

Comment

I read on a basketball recruting site that only 40% of players that come out of HS to a D1 program are playing basketball at ANY level by the end of their sophomore year. Of the 60% that quit D1 basketball only 20% continue college and get their degree. At the DII/D3 level, 80% of players continue playing into their Junior and Senior years.
                        Add to it 0.03% of high school players will play even one minute in the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          Add to it 0.03% of high school players will play even one minute in the NBA.
                          Yep. But the coach sitting on your couch when your kid is a HS junior and senior will paint an entirely different picture. Your kid is the best player I've ever seen come out of his HS. Can't miss All American and sure fire pro prospect. I personally think he could become a lottery pick with the right coaching and development. I'm just the guy to get him to that level. But unfortuanatly, we have a temporary scholarship issue that prevents us from giving your son a scholly out of HS. We've got a lot of seniors coming back and out of loyalty, it's just unfair to cut their scholly their senior year. But that's actually a good thing for your son. I'll have a year honing him in our system as a prefered walk-on and if he progresses like we ALL know he will, he'll be a shoe in for a full scholly the next year and then the sky is the limate!

Meanwhile, coach knows that this kid is nothing more than practice fodder for his ones and twos.

Comment

At a school like WVU the perks are not comparable. It's easier to accept riding the pine or playing a small role when the facilities are awesome, you are flying to away games, eating and staying at top notch restaurants and hotels, and getting a ton of cool Nike gear and shoes. Compared to having some dominoes and a bottle of water during a 4 hour bus ride home.

Comment

Last edited by IUPTrackMan; 03-30-2019, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-30-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X