Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

You're right. That's what I get for skimming a couple of articles, going and doing a couple hours of "Real" work and then pulling up an old image of the various 3 PT lines and posting! It didnt "feel" right when I posted it...should have fact checked it again but I didn't!! Poor research technique!

Comment

FYI - Dalton Bolon is playing in the Akron Canton Amateur-Pro League for the team Wayne Holmes. After being 6th man last year, this year, Dalton made All League First Team on offense as well as FIrst Team on defense. This league has a mix of college guys and overseas pros. Some of these guys look the part of pro players too - very strong and physical and play above the rim.
      It appears that Dalton has gotten much stronger since last year. Praise that he is wearing glasses, but no longer has to wear the eye patch!

Comment

FYI Dalton's Team - Wayne Holmes (WH) won their 2nd consecutive Akron Canton Am Pro Summer League Championship, with great unselfish play and deadly 3 point shooting. Joining him were Tyree Gaiter and Seger Bonifant. They had a couple of older guys who were quite a few pounds above their ideal playing weight, but that did not affect their basketball IQ and 3 point shooting and effort. Deadly! Tallest guys were Seger and Dalton. Most guys under 6-3.
        Some observations:
        1. Dalton has added maybe 6 inches to his vertical leap - plays above the rim on offensive rebounds - He is playing with goggles but no eye patch. Great news!
        2. Seger has greatly improved his defense and did well against the other team's best player.
        3. WH played West Lib basketball, but without the press. if the ball was loose, Seger or Dalton was immediately on the floor. 4 or 5 passes until they got a great open shot for their teammate.
        4. Their semi-final opponents were more athletic and talented individually, playing above the rim, with great off-balance shooting under pressure and great dribble drive. Impressive... They lost because the rest of their game was weak - team passing, avoiding turnovers, offensive rebounding, unselfish play, team and individual defense. Ah, the curse of AAU ball.
        5. WH team play gave them synergy, where the whole is far greater than the sum of the individual parts. They were up 101-89 with about a minute to go, when the play generally shut down to let folks show off their dunks LOL.
        6. RJ Sunahara played in the first semi before WH. Very unselfish, high basketball IQ, plays above rim and great offensive rebounding with great effort and motor. Great fit for Nova SE. If his teammates had played unselfishly like RJ, they might have won their semi.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          FYI Dalton's Team - Wayne Holmes (WH) won their 2nd consecutive Akron Canton Am Pro Summer League Championship, with great unselfish play and deadly 3 point shooting. Joining him were Tyree Gaiter and Seger Bonifant.
          FYI
          The twitter has a picture of the Wayne Holmes team. Just keep scrolling. Would you think they could beat overseas pros?
          https://twitter.com/clevelandampro1

This is not the semifinal, but a regular season matchup between Wayne Holmes and Teddy Bs (the 3 time champion from 2015, 2016, and 2017).
          Teddy Bs (in pink) had some seriously good players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OcehDS1sFE

Comment

FYI
            The twitter has a picture of the Wayne Holmes team. Just keep scrolling. Would you think they could beat overseas pros?

This is not the semifinal, but a regular season matchup between Wayne Holmes and Teddy Bs (the 3 time champion from 2015, 2016, and 2017).

One of Holmes key players, Seger Bonifant, is an overseas pro...And I would speculate that Dalton Bolon will also be an overseas pro in the not too distant future!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              One of Holmes key players, Seger Bonifant, is an overseas pro...And I would speculate that Dalton Bolon will also be an overseas pro in the not too distant future!
              I agree. BTW Seger is going to play in the Netherlands this year.
              Monteroso will remain on his old team in Erlingen, Germany.

Did you happen to look at the picture of the team? Some of the guys were carrying some extra weight from their playing days, but they could really play!

Comment

FYI

No. The depth isn't there. The big guy on the gray team would get eaten alive by professional bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  No. The depth isn't there. The big guy on the gray team would get eaten alive by professional bigs.
                  LOL. He was probably 6-2 at the tallest, but he could really shoot 3 pt shots as well as had a great post up game. Looks were deceiving.
                  Wayne Holmes picked the right mix of players for their style.

Of the 4 top teams, There weren't really many true 6-9 bigs. No one played a post up game, passing to a big - just dribble drive. Sometimes opponents made 0 passes before a shot! Team defense was so bad that Wayne Holmes guys got easy open looks from 3.

When other teams play 1 on 1 dribble drive and take difficult shots that don't always fall, it equals the odds for less talented teams who play together and can shoot.

If you are interested in the rosters, they are at:
                  http://www.clevelandakronampro.com/i...d=6&Itemid=113

There are some overseas pros. Usually a couple of players per team. Last year, I met a 6-10 guy who could really shoot. He was ex-d1 and playing in Switzerland. Some played MAC level, others played D2 or D3. Looks like D3 can have entire teams in the league.

FYI A few members from Toddy Bs:
                  Todd Brown played for Wright State - Has played overseas for 9 years - currently in canadian NBL
                  Jamil Dudley played at Lake Erie. Not sure if he is playing anywhere.
                  Jason Pitts played last two years for Akron Aviators of ABA?

Comment

Wayne Holmes beat #1 seed and undefeated Jumpman 104-103 in OT to win 2nd straight canton akron am pro championship
                    Here are the highlights. Wayne holmes in gray - 8 is bolon, #6 is bonifant and #1 is Tyree Gaiter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNlR...ature=youtu.be

Some players from this league are supposed to be coming (unconfirmed) to the Kingdom Summer league at 330 PM this Sunday at South HIgh School in Columbus. I think this league has some current or former pro players in it.

Jumpman had some great players - One would naturally think that Wayne Holmes did not have the athletic depth to play with these guys...
                    Partial List of Jumpman players

Nick Harney - Fairmont State - 6-8 has played last two years overseas
                    Cristen Debo Wilson = 6-5 played Lewis University 2018 grad - averaged 21 pts a game overseas
                    Christian Covile - 6-4 shooting guard last 3 yrs overseas averaging > 20 pts per game in iceland league
                    Alex Heath - 2018 grad of Garfield heights; 5-8 PG , 5.5 assists per game - playing at Lincoln Trail College

Comment

Soooo...Bolon and Yocum are probably going to be our top 2 scorers, but who is going to be our biggest surprise this coming season? Obviously a lot of hype for Boswell and he should be a shoe in for major contributions, but who is the under the radar guy that will either step up or come in and contribute larger than expected?

My money is on either Patrick Robinson the xfer from Holly Family or redshirt freshman Jon Alessandro.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Soooo...Bolon and Yocum are probably going to be our top 2 scorers, but who is going to be our biggest surprise this coming season? Obviously a lot of hype for Boswell and he should be a shoe in for major contributions, but who is the under the radar guy that will either step up or come in and contribute larger than expected?

My money is on either Patrick Robinson the xfer from Holly Family or redshirt freshman Jon Alessandro.
                        Really tough question, Boat. Like you said, we expect some folks to be good. Frankly, in the past, players that I thought were career role players have stepped up and totally impressed me with their contributions.

You have some strong candidates. What is hard to predict is to know how quickly transfers as well as frosh adjust to rapid decision making required by the WL style and the tremendous effort that is required, regardless of of how much talent and athletic ability they have.

In terms of surprise factor, I would think that having a freshman make a significant contribution would be a big surprise, just like Yahel Hill last year. Using this criterion and based on high school highlights, I think Bryce Butler might be a significant surprise. In high school he seemed to have very good decision making skills and a high basketball IQ. Ditto for Evan Conley, but I wonder if he might need a redshirt year to get stronger, as did Yoakum in his freshman year.

This seems strange to say this, but I think Bolon is going to take his game to the next level on defense as well as his increased strength in his nside offensive game. He was nominated for MVP of the summer league (won by a pro), after being more of a sixth man last year.I think his ability to dominate a game in many facets besides offensive rebounding and 3 pt shooting will surprise many fans. Becoming a very complete, dominant player.

Comment

Alessondro and Butler as this years version of Yocum and Hill?? I like it!!!

Bolton with two eyes being twice as good a last year's one eye version?? That's kind of scary for WLUs opponents!!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

His new team would likely lose to his old team. But ... his Twitter handle can now say he's D1. That's what it's all about.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X