Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

It will be interesting to see if it is a commit-able offer. Yahel is a fine young man and a great offensive player. The open issue for me is whether he can defend the physically stronger and bigger guards that are prevalent in d1. Imho defense was his biggest area for improvement at wl.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      His new team would likely lose to his old team. But ... his Twitter handle can now say he's D1. That's what it's all about.
      And he'll never let anyone forget it! 10 years from now he'll still be dropping that "fact" on the girls at the local bar! He'll probably blur the line between his D1 and DII experience..."I lead the nation in 3 point shooting and was a big time D1 star."

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        And he'll never let anyone forget it! 10 years from now he'll still be dropping that "fact" on the girls at the local bar! He'll probably blur the line between his D1 and DII experience..."I lead the nation in 3 point shooting and was a big time D1 star."

I just hope it doesn't become a trend on this level.

Comment

I just hope it doesn't become a trend on this level.
          One limiting factor to this trend is that one has to sit a year to go from D2 to D1. Not many D1 schools are going to invest a scholarship in that scenario and wait a year for their return on investment.
          Just speculating, but I wonder if the Albany offer is contingent on a successful season at Tallahassee Community College, which would involve Hill earning a starting position from among the plethora of D1 transfers that they have recruited.

Comment

• Last edited by Layton; 08-14-2019, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              One limiting factor to this trend is that one has to sit a year to go from D2 to D1. Not many D1 schools are going to invest a scholarship in that scenario and wait a year for their return on investment.
              Just speculating, but I wonder if the Albany offer is contingent on a successful season at Tallahassee Community College, which would involve Hill earning a starting position from among the plethora of D1 transfers that they have recruited.
              I don't know how JUCO recruiting works but I find it a bit odd that a player can be on a JUCO team while at the same time having an offer from a D1...or DII for that matter. If that can happen, what would prevent a D1 program from "stockpiling" future recruits at a JUCO? Say for example that Duke had an AA caliber senior PG and a top tier Junior backup this coming year but there is a REALLY good PG coming out who want's to go to Duke. Instead of having him come in and get splinters on the bench, Duke could "encourage" him to go to a particular JUCO that just happens to run an offense/defense similar to Duke, stocked with Duke friendly coaches and other potential Duke players in the same situation as him while at the same time promising this player a scholly the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                I don't know how JUCO recruiting works but I find it a bit odd that a player can be on a JUCO team while at the same time having an offer from a D1...or DII for that matter. If that can happen, what would prevent a D1 program from "stockpiling" future recruits at a JUCO? Say for example that Duke had an AA caliber senior PG and a top tier Junior backup this coming year but there is a REALLY good PG coming out who want's to go to Duke. Instead of having him come in and get splinters on the bench, Duke could "encourage" him to go to a particular JUCO that just happens to run an offense/defense similar to Duke, stocked with Duke friendly coaches and other potential Duke players in the same situation as him while at the same time promising this player a scholly the following year.
                Most JUCO programs are two year deals. So, as a sophomore there would be many committed to schools for their junior year. A lot go JUCO just for their first year and then leave.

Think of schools like Harcum, Lackawanna, etc.

Tallahassee isn't going to be a cakewalk for Hill. They have lots of players.

Comment

Most JUCO programs are two year deals. So, as a sophomore there would be many committed to schools for their junior year. A lot go JUCO just for their first year and then leave.

Tallahassee is just as u said. Very few sophomores. Place to play while sitting out transfer year.
                  I share your concern regarding hill. Roster loaded with bigger, stronger ex d1 guards.

Comment

They may get offers during their final season. What I'm talking about is a player who hasn't even started his first school year at a JUCO having an actual D1 offer. Don't think I've ever heard of a player having an actual D1 offer before they even step through the door at their new JUCO program! Probably more likely one of the Albany coaches said, we like you, give us a call after the season. Guess if you see yourself as a D1 player, that counts as an "offer"...Offer to talk!!

Comment

The year at the juco uses a year of eligibility...yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
                        The year at the juco uses a year of eligibility...yes or no?
                        Yes, he would have 3 years to play 2 at the new school

Comment

So maybe he is pocketing that offer and seeing if he gets a better one playing at the juco. One way to look at it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
                            Yes, he would have 3 years to play 2 at the new school
                            If you go straight from D2 to D1 you have to sit a year. He could have done that had he had an offer and it would essentially been his redshirt season.

Comment

If you go straight from D2 to D1 you have to sit a year. He could have done that had he had an offer and it would essentially been his redshirt season.
                              I would imagine that he still could go...that is if he has an actual offer from Albany. Somthing tells me the offer is more in his head than an actual real thing!!

Comment

A coach had better have a long term contract if they give a scholarship to a D2 player and also pay for him to sit out during his transfer year. I think the risk is just too great. I just cannot see that happening, especially in this case, where a player's ability to succeed at D1 level is not guaranteed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X