Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Duncan Robinson went from D3 to Michigan a few years back on scholarship and now on the Miami Heat, quite the story

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      If you go straight from D2 to D1 you have to sit a year. He could have done that had he had an offer and it would essentially been his redshirt season.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
        Duncan Robinson went from D3 to Michigan a few years back on scholarship and now on the Miami Heat, quite the story
        Great story. 6-8 who played for former beilein assistant at Williams college. Deadly 3 point shooter (but not as good as bonifant). Beilein originally offered walk on role but gave him scholarship after seeing him play during recruiting visit. Other power 5 schools were very interested too so Robinson had leverage.

I could be wrong but since there are no athletic scholarships in d3 there are no transfer restrictions. Robinson did redshirt his first year at Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Great story. 6-8 who played for former beilein assistant at Williams college. Deadly 3 point shooter (but not as good as bonifant). Beilein originally offered walk on role but gave him scholarship after seeing him play during recruiting visit. Other power 5 schools were very interested too so Robinson had leverage.

I could be wrong but since there are no athletic scholarships in d3 there are no transfer restrictions. Robinson did redshirt his first year at Michigan.

This is the opposite side of the Yahel Hill discussion. Had that kid stayed down in the bush leagues of D3 (or even D2) he very likely would not be on the Miami Heat right now. He'd have been stereotyped as just a star player in a low-talent level (NBA-wise). Once he proved he could do it at Michigan that changed the whole outlook and caught the attention of the big leagues.

Obviously Hill isn't going anywhere near a Michigan level school, but you see the theory that moving up can work for some of these guys.

Amir Hinton would have benefited greatly from moving up and playing one year at the D1 level (not bush leagues D1).

Comment

This is the opposite side of the Yahel Hill discussion. Had that kid stayed down in the bush leagues of D3 (or even D2) he very likely would not be on the Miami Heat right now. He'd have been stereotyped as just a star player in a low-talent level (NBA-wise). Once he proved he could do it at Michigan that changed the whole outlook and caught the attention of the big leagues.

Obviously Hill isn't going anywhere near a Michigan level school, but you see the theory that moving up can work for some of these guys.

Amir Hinton would have benefited greatly from moving up and playing one year at the D1 level (not bush leagues D1).
            Yes...true for so many players! Of course, that is assuming he performed at the big time D1 level. Quite a few players that play D1 that never get a sniff from the NBA OR the G-League.

Comment

I would not be surprised if Hill shot better than Robinson of Michigan from 3.

Unfortunately,mid to high major D1 (and NBA) puts a significant value on size and strength. NBA players are first determined by DNA, then they are made through hard work. A 5-10, 150 lb guard just does not fit the DNA profile.

Robinson was 6-8 with very high basketball IQ, which is required (and further developed in Beilein's system). Despite playing at Michigan, he was not drafted, but was a free agent. What helped him was his size and the recent emphasis on 3 pt shooting in the NBA. Robinson is only making 1.3M and was guaranteed that just late in the summer. What also helped him is that his team needs bodies and they have no cap money.

IMHO, Hill's pro feature is overseas (and perhaps Robinson too). WL would have given him experience in the non-dribble drive, team based game of Europe. I hope it works out for him to play overseas.

Comment

I would not be surprised if Hill shot better than Robinson of Michigan from 3.

Unfortunately,mid to high major D1 (and NBA) puts a significant value on size and strength. NBA players are first determined by DNA, then they are made through hard work. A 5-10, 150 lb guard just does not fit the DNA profile.

Robinson was 6-8 with very high basketball IQ, which is required (and further developed in Beilein's system). Despite playing at Michigan, he was not drafted, but was a free agent. What helped him was his size and the recent emphasis on 3 pt shooting in the NBA. Robinson is only making 1.3M and was guaranteed that just late in the summer. What also helped him is that his team needs bodies and they have no cap money.

IMHO, Hill's pro feature is overseas (and perhaps Robinson too). WL would have given him experience in the non-dribble drive, team based game of Europe. I hope it works out for him to play overseas.
                Hill may be a better shooter when he's wide open but at just 5'10" he would struggle getting shots off at the high D1 level. The 6'8" guys who can launch are a nightmare to defend. By the time he gets to Albany he'll probably put on 20 pounds and maybe grow an inch (it's possible). But, yes, his frame as of now is way to fragile to play at a high level. In the P5 the guards will be more talented and faster in addition to being physically superior. Not a good combination.

In my opinion, I've seen very few players (I'll just use the past decade for reference) in the Atlantic who could have been legitimate contributors at the P5 level. And, this is based on the player they became by their senior season.

Seger Bonifant (although it would likely have been as a guard)
                Cobo Diaz
                Brandon Norfleet
                Thomas Wimbush
                Haywood Highsmith
                Dustin Sleva
                Amir Hinton
                Darryl Webb
                Patrick Smith

There are others who could have made the team and been deep bench guys, but I think those guys were all legit D1 players (and all had the coveted size, etc.). Many of them were 'late bloomers' per say and got overlooked coming out of high school.

And, I'm sure I missed a few so hold off on the attacks !!!! LOL

Comment

Hill may be a better shooter when he's wide open but at just 5'10" he would struggle getting shots off at the high D1 level. The 6'8" guys who can launch are a nightmare to defend. By the time he gets to Albany he'll probably put on 20 pounds and maybe grow an inch (it's possible). But, yes, his frame as of now is way to fragile to play at a high level. In the P5 the guards will be more talented and faster in addition to being physically superior. Not a good combination.

In my opinion, I've seen very few players (I'll just use the past decade for reference) in the Atlantic who could have been legitimate contributors at the P5 level. And, this is based on the player they became by their senior season.

Cobo Diaz
                  Brandon Norfleet
                  Thomas Wimbush
                  Haywood Highsmith
                  Dustin Sleva
                  Amir Hinton
                  Darryl Webb
                  Patrick Smith

There are others who could have made the team and been deep bench guys, but I think those guys were all legit D1 players (and all had the coveted size, etc.). Many of them were 'late bloomers' per say and got overlooked coming out of high school.

And, I'm sure I missed a few so hold off on the attacks !!!! LOL
                  Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Add a PG to my list and that could be the All-Atlantic, All-Decade team. Imagine THAT as a D2 team all together. Wow.

Comment

Maybe tyree gaiter from notre Dame or chance from iup? No one could handle tyree in the summer league. Big reason they won the championship

Comment

Maybe tyree gaiter from notre Dame or chance from iup? No one could handle tyree in the summer league. Big reason they won the championship
                        Tough question. They'd be both on the short list for sure. Adam Blazek from Gannon was real good.

We get so in to a particular season and as years go by things get foggy.

Comment

Cobo Diaz
                          Brandon Norfleet
                          Thomas Wimbush
                          Haywood Highsmith
                          Dustin Sleva
                          Amir Hinton
                          Darryl Webb
                          Patrick Smith
                          Maybe Monteroso as a d1 hoop player...he played d1 football, not sure his jumper is D1 worthy, his athleticism was easily thpugh.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                            Maybe Monteroso as a d1 hoop player...he played d1 football, not sure his jumper is D1 worthy, his athleticism was easily thpugh.
                            I read a news article from Monteroso's football days at Perdue. It was an interview of players on the basketball team. One of the questions asked was who is the best basketball player not on the team. To a man they all said Monteroso. They said he would practice with the team sometimes and just light them up!! Hard to say he would have started (didn't follow the team so I don't know who they had) but it seems like the players thought that if he was on the team, he would have contributed quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              I read a news article from Monteroso's football days at Perdue. It was an interview of players on the basketball team. One of the questions asked was who is the best basketball player not on the team. To a man they all said Monteroso. They said he would practice with the team sometimes and just light them up!! Hard to say he would have started (didn't follow the team so I don't know who they had) but it seems like the players thought that if he was on the team, he would have contributed quite a bit.
                              Scored over 2000 pts in high school.
                              At wl he once played basketball game on Friday, played football on Saturday afternoon, and then played second basketball game Saturday night. Incredible athlete!

Comment

• I wanted to try out a post on the new board and bump the WL thread...Can't let it get buried.

Also, where does everyone think WL will be ranked in the preseason top 20? I'm saying top 4...They'll be good, but typically the national folks inflate WL in the rankings, just a hair...

And better question- Will IUP or WL be higher in the preseason rankings? (I know, I know, each team would rather be ranked higher at the END of the year...)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X