Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ncaa.com has west lib #3 after NW Missouri and bellarmine. Nova se is #4.

Here's an early look at our top 25 for the 2019-20 NCAA Division II men's basketball season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Ncaa.com has west lib #3 after NW Missouri and bellarmine. Nova se is #4.
      Joe getting no love way down at No. 14

That's good.

Comment

• Was looking at the WLU roster that posted and had two questions:

1. With only 13 guys, it seems like Ben won't be able to redshirt as many guys as the WLU system usually likes to. Anyone have any notion of which 1 or 2 guys might redshirt? I was thinking Shifflett seemed like a candidate to need to bulk up a bit. But I'm not sure. What do you guys think Ben will do with those last few slots after the first-team/second-team?

2. Do we have any idea about the Hiles kid? He was never tracked by Verbal Commits (which we tend to use as our basis for discussion of rosters in the desert of the offseason). So, we've heard some thoughts on other new guys (Hazelbaker, Conley, etc.), but does anyone have info on the Hiles kid? Contributor? Walk-on? Shrug. Columbuseer, you tend to be our expert on Ohio-based recruits, do you know anything on him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          Was looking at the WLU roster that posted and had two questions:

1. With only 13 guys, it seems like Ben won't be able to redshirt as many guys as the WLU system usually likes to. Anyone have any notion of which 1 or 2 guys might redshirt? I was thinking Shifflett seemed like a candidate to need to bulk up a bit. But I'm not sure. What do you guys think Ben will do with those last few slots after the first-team/second-team?

2. Do we have any idea about the Hiles kid? He was never tracked by Verbal Commits (which we tend to use as our basis for discussion of rosters in the desert of the offseason). So, we've heard some thoughts on other new guys (Hazelbaker, Conley, etc.), but does anyone have info on the Hiles kid? Contributor? Walk-on? Shrug. Columbuseer, you tend to be our expert on Ohio-based recruits, do you know anything on him?
          No definitive info. Just imho.
          Hiles was a 1000+ point scorer, football wide receiver and versatile track guy at a small school. So definitely athletic. watched his highlights. good shooter and high basketball iq. Strong academically.

i could see redshirts for 2 or 3 unless their development over the year displaces someone in the 2 platoon rotation or they provide situational advantages. If I were a player I would leap at a redshirt. An extra year makes a big difference physically especially as a 23 yr senior. Works out well - witness bolon, yoakum, and meininger as a few examples of redshirts.

Comment

• I think the players that WLU redshirts this year will come down to how they look in pre season practice. If all three freshmen look like they can hold their own in the ultra competative WLU practices, the all could see early season play. WLU typically plays a deep bench early and then trims to the top 10 or 11 players after about 10 games or so. If any of the freshmen appear to need a season to grow (size/weight/adjustment to the WLU game) they will be redshirted. IDEALY...I'd like to see two guys redshirted but if they are performing in practice, maybe none. BOTH situations have proven successful for the Toppers in the past. Good situation to have!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              I think the players that WLU redshirts this year will come down to how they look in pre season practice. If all three freshmen look like they can hold their own in the ultra competative WLU practices, the all could see early season play. WLU typically plays a deep bench early and then trims to the top 10 or 11 players after about 10 games or so. If any of the freshmen appear to need a season to grow (size/weight/adjustment to the WLU game) they will be redshirted. IDEALY...I'd like to see two guys redshirted but if they are performing in practice, maybe none. BOTH situations have proven successful for the Toppers in the past. Good situation to have!
              I agree that wlu will play the best 10 guys regardless of class. I am just not sure if they will waste a redshirt year if the freshmen players are ranked 11-13. Just not enough minutes. Will yoakum could have played last year imho but needed time to learn the system and get stronger. But last year, players 11-13 were not freshmen so wlu could play them without penalty early in the season so they could demonstrate whether they could improve to approach the level of play of the two platoons. Also I think it is hard to convince a transfer to redshirt even if that would be the best decision long term. Could Ariel Watson have learned to play defense and pass with a redshirt year? Not sure.

Comment

I agree that wlu will play the best 10 guys regardless of class. I am just not sure if they will waste a redshirt year if the freshmen players are ranked 11-13. Just not enough minutes. Will yoakum could have played last year imho but needed time to learn the system and get stronger. But last year, players 11-13 were not freshmen so wlu could play them without penalty early in the season so they could demonstrate whether they could improve to approach the level of play of the two platoons. Also I think it is hard to convince a transfer to redshirt even if that would be the best decision long term. Could Ariel Watson have learned to play defense and pass with a redshirt year? Not sure.
                I think Watson was a "flyer" last year. Very gifted offensive player that Ben took a chance on being able to mold to play WLU's offensive and defensive style. He didn't appear to be at all interested in playing the WLU style. Don't think that would have changed if they redshirted him. I like that Ben took the chance on him...just wish Watson would have been at least a little willing to learn. Some kids just refuse to be taught...I remember when I was 19...I knew absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! I just shake my head now at how STUPID I was back then!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  I think Watson was a "flyer" last year. Very gifted offensive player that Ben took a chance on being able to mold to play WLU's offensive and defensive style. He didn't appear to be at all interested in playing the WLU style. Don't think that would have changed if they redshirted him. I like that Ben took the chance on him...just wish Watson would have been at least a little willing to learn. Some kids just refuse to be taught...I remember when I was 19...I knew absolutely EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! I just shake my head now at how STUPID I was back then!
                  I agree with you boat. Defense is very much about WANTING to play defense. He clearly had the raw athletic skills (quickness, long arms, etc.) to be a shutdown defender. But he did not have a grasp of elementary defensive and team passing concepts. It might have taken a redshirt year even he had wanted to learn to play defense. But like u I doubt it.

His offense was a gift many would have loved to have had. Had he developed the rest of his game he would been playing in Europe after wlu.

Comment

• Which freshmen might see significant playing time? I think the key for freshmen is how well they make decisions in a very dynamic free flowing style that is West Liberty.

My guesses are Bryce Butler and Evan Conley, based on highlights. Bryce seemed to have a very high basketball IQ.

i watched Evan play 3 games. Always under control and rarely makes a bad decision or turnover. 270hoops considers him a legend for an unusual reason: while on the bench in an all star game showcase and losing by 36 in the first half, he calls timeout and says we are going to a 1-3-1 zone and here is how u play the 1-3-1. They came back and won the game! What leadership! He needs to get stronger but I could see him getting time at PG in the second platoon.

Comment

• What skills in our departed 2019 players will we miss the most? Who might provide this skill this year?
                      ?????I'll get it started.
                      Passing - Eric Meininger. He was fearless in passing. Very quick trigger to launch a 30 ft bullet while on the move into tight windows. High risk taker but some of those passes for layups just broke the other team's spirit. He was at home on the point or in transition. He could have made a video on passing in traffic Tough to replace.

Replacement? If Will Yoakum could develop this area of his game he would be a matchup nightmare. My newcomer choice is Malik McKinney. He sees the whole court and will give up the ball based on highlights.

Comment

What skills in our departed 2019 players will we miss the most? Who might provide this skill this year?
                        ?????I'll get it started.
                        Passing - Eric Meininger. He was fearless in passing. Very quick trigger to launch a 30 ft bullet while on the move into tight windows. High risk taker but some of those passes for layups just broke the other team's spirit. He was at home on the point or in transition. He could have made a video on passing in traffic Tough to replace.

Replacement? If Will Yoakum could develop this area of his game he would be a matchup nightmare. My newcomer choice is Malik McKinney. He sees the whole court and will give up the ball based on highlights.
                        Half serious response to your question:

Who's the middle-of-the-circle guy during the pre-game breakdown now that Primmer is out? Last year Primmer was the rah-rah guy. Who's the "face of intensity" this year? And typically, it's been a second-5 guy (like Lamberti during his time here) who sorta rallies the first-5. Wonder who that guy is this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Half serious response to your question:

Who's the middle-of-the-circle guy during the pre-game breakdown now that Primmer is out? Last year Primmer was the rah-rah guy. Who's the "face of intensity" this year? And typically, it's been a second-5 guy (like Lamberti during his time here) who sorta rallies the first-5. Wonder who that guy is this year.
                          Jesus ... I saw WL three times last year in person. If anybody is more intense than Bolon ... I'd love to see it.

He's not fake cheerleader rah-rah intense. He's legit intense.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Jesus ... I saw WL three times last year in person. If anybody is more intense than Bolon ... I'd love to see it.

Oh you're absolutely right, IUPbig. That's why I prefaced it with admission that it was only "half serious." As part of WLU's pre-game ritual they usually "elect" a second-teamer to "fire up" the team (recent memory says it was guys like Primmer, Lamberti, Hausfeld, etc.). But if we're being honest, there was never a need to get guys like Bolon, Monteroso, or Bonifant fired up. Those guys couldn't get any more fire if they tried.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

AHHHH HAAAA!!! I KNEW you secretly LOVED you some Topper Basketball! Hahahahaha!!

Comment

Ncaa.com has west lib #3 after NW Missouri and bellarmine. Nova se is #4.
                                Here's an offseason sort of question. Saint Crutch has turned Nova SE into a power in two short years. Cardinal Howlett is the primary acolyte of Crutch and given how WLU did not miss a beat after Crutch left, clearly Ben is almost (99.99%) as "good" as Crutch in recruiting to, implementing and running the "WLU System."

Soooooo, given Crutch's success at Nova, would Ben be able to do the same and turn a different down trodden DII program into a Top 5 program within two years??

As you move up the Crutch coaching tree, who among the current crop of assistants would be able to be successful implementing the WLU System if given the chance after this coming year? Tree's main branch obviously is Ben but it also includes:

Cardinal Aaron Huffman
                                Cardinal Jordan Fee
                                Cardinal Devin Hoehn
                                Bishop Mike Lamberti (Howlett branch of the Crutch tree)
                                Bishop Brett Ervin (Howlett branch of the Crutch tree)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X