Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fyi - read where head coach of Shaw resigned this week due to family issues. Wlu plays them on nov 10.

Comment

• replacing skills of seniors - Brady Arnold

I am going to miss Brady Arnold and his ability to run down a player to tap ball away from behind after opponent had broken the press. I was amazed that opponents did not know he was coming from watching film and would know to keep their head in a swivel in the open court. He generated many 4 point swings with his effort by turning a potential layup into a turnover and a fast break for West Liberty!

who might step up this year to partially fill the gap?

From watching highlights I would guess Malik and/or Patrick. They both seem to have that burst of acceleration that Brady had.

Comment

• FYI - former wlu player who arrived with dalton bolon was 6-4 clay guillozet. Now a senior at Valdosta state, he scored 27 points with 6 rebounds in 93-81 loss to Georgia bulldogs in exhibition. Georgia has a lottery pick in Anthony Edwards. Georgia committed 25 turnovers against Valdosta. Congrats clay

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          FYI - former wlu player who arrived with dalton bolon was 6-4 clay guillozet. Now a senior at Valdosta state, he scored 27 points with 6 rebounds in 93-81 loss to Georgia bulldogs in exhibition. Georgia has a lottery pick in Anthony Edwards. Georgia committed 25 turnovers against Valdosta. Congrats clay
          Clay was the forgotten man of the exodus when Crutch left...I forgot about him...He had big time minutes as a freshman and was really good...Lost David Dennis, Beau Justice, and Clay Guillozet...

WL can certainly evaluate good guards (esp from OHIO). They don't have too many recruiting "misses". Try and think of a couple players who never lived up to hype or never panned out over 4 years...Not too many...they either leave in 1-2 years or they stay 4 and end up contributing big time. Think about it..Most of their senior day kids are big contributors..You typically don't get to your senior year at WL if you're not contributing...Now that may be the coaches recommending they leave or what...but they make their mark most of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Clay was the forgotten man of the exodus when Crutch left...I forgot about him...He had big time minutes as a freshman and was really good...Lost David Dennis, Beau Justice, and Clay Guillozet...

WL can certainly evaluate good guards (esp from OHIO). They don't have too many recruiting "misses". Try and think of a couple players who never lived up to hype or never panned out over 4 years...Not too many...they either leave in 1-2 years or they stay 4 and end up contributing big time. Think about it..Most of their senior day kids are big contributors..You typically don't get to your senior year at WL if you're not contributing...Now that may be the coaches recommending they leave or what...but they make their mark most of the time.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Dennis and Guillozet sort of a "package deal?" Friends who quit WLU together and were allegedly looking to transfer to the same team together. Always found it odd that he didn't end up going to Nova with Dennis. Crutch doesn't miss on many players but I think he did with Guillozet, at least at Nova. Could probably have had him for an offer but apparently decided not to.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Dennis and Guillozet sort of a "package deal?" Friends who quit WLU together and were allegedly looking to transfer to the same team together. Always found it odd that he didn't end up going to Nova with Dennis. Crutch doesn't miss on many players but I think he did with Guillozet, at least at Nova. Could probably have had him for an offer but apparently decided not to.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Actually justice left year before crutch left. His brother played at Valdosta and had become assistant coach. I really liked his game - very complete. Became all American his junior year.

Comment

Actually justice left year before crutch left. His brother played at Valdosta and had become assistant coach. I really liked his game - very complete. Became all American his junior year.
                  Dennis was still here when Justice left. He might have understood how the starting PG job was going to be filled in the coming years (if Crutch/Dennis had stayed of course)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Dennis was still here when Justice left. He might have understood how the starting PG job was going to be filled in the coming years (if Crutch/Dennis had stayed of course)

Comment

• Which newcomers will make biggest offensive impact? I have 3 candidates in mind but I am struggling to narrow it down based on highlights: Boswell, Robinson and Butler.

Boswell has a way of drawing fouls and is fearless.
                      Robinson has some killer left hand moves. I love how he wriggles his way in traffic to get an open look.
                      Butler has an understanding of game beyond his years and has a 3 pt stroke as well as great footwork around the basket.

Comment

Which newcomers will make biggest offensive impact? I have 3 candidates in mind but I am struggling to narrow it down based on highlights: Boswell, Robinson and Butler.

Boswell has a way of drawing fouls and is fearless.
                        Robinson has some killer left hand moves. I love how he wriggles his way in traffic to get an open look.
                        Butler has an understanding of game beyond his years and has a 3 pt stroke as well as great footwork around the basket.
                        I admit that I absolutely HATED Boswell when he was a Cardinal. Just can't stand to see a guy play like that . . . until he's on your team. He will be an absolute tasmanian devil in the WLU system, and I can't imagine any newcomer having a greater impact. Fun guy to cheer against when he's playing with your rival; probably an even more fun guy to cheer FOR when he's wearing your colors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I admit that I absolutely HATED Boswell when he was a Cardinal. Just can't stand to see a guy play like that . . . until he's on your team. He will be an absolute tasmanian devil in the WLU system, and I can't imagine any newcomer having a greater impact. Fun guy to cheer against when he's playing with your rival; probably an even more fun guy to cheer FOR when he's wearing your colors.
                          I can understand your feelings. I Would prefer if no players gestured to the crowd and stayed in the moment and stayed laser focused until end of game or a timeout.

IMHO In the wl system there is no time for that as one must switch from offense to/from defense instantly.

Several years ago at glenville they had wlu on the ropes. Late in the game # 15 hit a deep 3 from the top of the key. He pumped his fists in the air in celebration for only one or 2 seconds - instead of getting back on defense. Wl grabbed the ball after the score and threw a long pass over his head to grossenbacher who was sprinting down the floor in transition for a layup. Glenville lost in OT.

I love how wlu instantly transitions. Your man just dunked over you? No pouting or slamming ball in frustration. They grab the ball and go on offense. They stay in the moment!

Comment

• Has NWMSU demonstrated that it is not a pipe dream that an elite D2 team that can shoot threes can hang with elite D1 teams ON A GIVEN NIGHT? They lost 69-63 at Duke.

Last year, NWMSU hit over 40% from three (but less than west Lib).

I think it shows that basketball is more complex than the vertical jump, size, and athletic ability of individuals.

On a given night, a top level D2 school can hang with a high major D1 school, if the stars align correctly.
                            Duke has elite coaching and elite future NBA players. NWMSU has great coaching and great D2 players.
                            To offset the athetic talent, IMHO a D2 school has to accompish the following objectives:
                            1. be able to have a good night shooting threes relative to the D1 team.
                            NWMSU hit 15-34 or 44%. Duke shot terriblly from three. (2-16) or 12 %
                            2. Keep turnovers close. However, Duke caused 21 turnovers to committing 14.
                            3. Keep FTs somewhat close, although D2 would likely commit more fouls due to size disadvantage. NWMSU only shot 4 FTs (2-4). Duke hit 13-22 FTs.
                            4. D1 team must have a sub-par shooting night overall Duke FT% (59% versus 50% for NWSU) , Duke FG % 4(2% versus 39% for NWMSU) , Duke 3 pt% (12% versus 44% for NWSU)
                            5. Catch the D1 team early in the season, espcially if they are young. Helps if the D2 team is experienced.

NWMSU achieved Objectives 1 and 5 above, but Duke helped with sub-par shooting (Objective 4 above).

West Lib definitely has the shooters. The open issue for me regarding the WL style, is whether the press would generate turnovers against a Duke or would it be broken easily for easy points.

BTW, Mercyhurst came the closest to defeating NWMSU last year., at least in NCAA toruney.

Comment

• I go back to what I've been saying, quite a bit of difference between an exebition game than a "real" game on so many levels. The result would probably be quite a bit different at Cameron if NWMSU was playing Duke "for realz!"

Does Coach K want to lose to NWMSU in an exebition game? No, not really. But is he willing to pull out all the stops to win? Probably not. A close game vs a DII like this probably gives Coach K a lot MORE than a blow out...Imagine what Duke's practices will be like for the next week! You THOUGHT you were the #6 team in the NATION? You BARELY beat a DII team...Now get out there and show me somthing in practice or you'll be riding the bench!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                I go back to what I've been saying, quite a bit of difference between an exebition game than a "real" game on so many levels. The result would probably be quite a bit different at Cameron if NWMSU was playing Duke "for realz!"

Does Coach K want to lose to NWMSU in an exebition game? No, not really. But is he willing to pull out all the stops to win? Probably not. A close game vs a DII like this probably gives Coach K a lot MORE than a blow out...Imagine what Duke's practices will be like for the next week! You THOUGHT you were the #6 team in the NATION? You BARELY beat a DII team...Now get out there and show me somthing in practice!!!
                                My experience is that great athletes or others driven to success are ultra-competitive - they don't want to lose at ANYTHING. How many great athletes don't want to win a pick-up game and stay on the court? I would agree that at the beginning of a game, they might not take a team seriously. But then the drive to win takes over, especially if the other team proves to be competitive. Coach K alluded to this in his press conference.

I found Coach K's comments after the game. . Very informative press conference. Many of the things he said about NWMSU, one could apply to WLU. One advantage he mentioned is that the Duke bigs are not used to playing far away from basket against 5-out offsense. NWMSU seems to have players like WL - everyone can handle the ball, shoot, pass, unselfish, etc.

"they are not used to playing 5-out. we do not see it in Power 5.... more common in D2"
                                "NWMS is very unselfish...".
                                "Thought Duke played very good defense in forcing 21 turnovers. Offense was bad."
                                "NWSU very very good and can play with anyone... and beat most of them"
                                "I wanted to win" - he was not holding back.
                                https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-m...ener/18724979/

Maybe someone can find a replay and see if in their opinion Duke was holding back or playing to win.Coach K. says they were definitely trying to win. I got the impression the reporters were incredulous that D2 could hang with Duke and were looking for a rationalization.
                                Last edited by Columbuseer; 10-27-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X