Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    So what does WLU's thumping of Fairmont, in Fairmont mean in the scheme of this season mean? Coming into this game, Fairmont was one of the hotter teams in the Atlantic posting a 9-1 record over the last 10 games and six straight W's. They also had an early season W over the #2 team in the region Shippensburg.

Was it simply a W over a good team or does it indicate more than that?
    I thought WL played exceptionally well and Fairmont played exceptionally poor. The end result was actually closer than the game felt. It felt like WL won by 40 points.

Fairmont's post players were very weak. As a whole they didn't look like a polished team at all -- temper tantrums, horrible ball-handling, no inside game, etc. I've watched FSU three times this year and have no idea what its identity is. Yesterday they just looked lost.

It could be just one game. They may look different in Round 3. But, yesterday, they didn't look at all like an NCAA team.

WL looked night and day better. BTW, I think WL is much better with Boswell not in the lineup.

I was suprised FSU tried to get in that 100 mph game yesterday. They don't have the horses.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

WL looked night and day better. BTW, I think WL is much better with Boswell not in the lineup.
      I might agree with this point. But I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. Do you have a sense of why that might be the case, IUPbig?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I might agree with this point. But I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. Do you have a sense of why that might be the case, IUPbig?
        No clue. But, something looks different (better).

That said, when you plays teams that will force WL in to a slower pace (IUP or Mercyhurst), Boswell may be better in those types of games).

Comment

• I agree with you that FSU looked pretty scattered yesterday. In the first match-up, Kenzie Melko had the game of his life, so the "bigs" looked a lot more organized by virtue of his having a big day. I do think FSU played pretty good on-ball defense--i.e., they seemed to make it a bit uncomfortable on WLU's guards, but that high pressure also left backdoors open without Kenzie's post presence making much of an impact yesterday. We'll see which version shows up in the conference tourney!

Comment

I agree with you that FSU looked pretty scattered yesterday. In the first match-up, Kenzie Melko had the game of his life, so the "bigs" looked a lot more organized by virtue of his having a big day. I do think FSU played pretty good on-ball defense--i.e., they seemed to make it a bit uncomfortable on WLU's guards, but that high pressure also left backdoors open without Kenzie's post presence making much of an impact yesterday. We'll see which version shows up in the conference tourney!
            Lol ... I thought Kenzie was a guard. He's pretty small to be a post player?

Comment

• WL can be dangerous in March. They are getting better and better, as many predicted. New players have internalized the style. We now have at least 3 players who can beat many players off the dribble, but will share the ball. So when the defense spreads to stop the three there is no help defense and we take them inside for layups.

We now are getting more points in the paint than from three. But they are layups by our guards not traditional post moves.

WL would have 6 players in top 70 nationally in 3 pt % if they had enough attempts, and two in the top five nationally. So pick your poison. Bolon is averaging a double double the last 10 games. WL averaged 1.40 pts per possession against fairmont who is a good defensive team.

The constant pressure gets inside your head and disrupts team play as opponents get frustrated and quit thinking team. Dyer was driving Bonner nuts. Dyer now has 5.95 assist to turnover ratio.

Comment

Lol ... I thought Kenzie was a guard. He's pretty small to be a post player?
                He's an "MEC big." And as you know, "MEC bigs" would play the 2 spot in the PSAC. : )

Well, unless you count Shawndale guarding the post earlier this year. Maybe he was warming up to transfer to the MEC!

Comment

He's an "MEC big." And as you know, "MEC bigs" would play the 2 spot in the PSAC. : )

Well, unless you count Shawndale guarding the post earlier this year. Maybe he was warming up to transfer to the MEC!
                  Joe was one more injury away from signing Columbuseer to play power forward.

Comment

Joe was one more injury away from signing Columbuseer to play power forward.
                    Columbuseer would certainly be a "heady" player! (But I'm not sure how well he could box out)

Comment

Columbuseer would certainly be a "heady" player! (But I'm not sure how well he could box out)
                      Joe would run the "picket fence" with Columbusser doing his best Merel Webb imitation and popping from the corner of the key to claim a PSAC offensive avalanch like 60-58 victory!

Comment

• Anybody know why McKinney was in streets tonight? With Boswell's departure and Howlett's reluctance to use Hiles in anything other garbage time, McKinney being out really shortened the bench tonight and extended minutes for the starters significantly.

Hopefully it's not a long-term issue.

Comment

Anybody know why McKinney was in streets tonight? With Boswell's departure and Howlett's reluctance to use Hiles in anything other garbage time, McKinney being out really shortened the bench tonight and extended minutes for the starters significantly.

Hopefully it's not a long-term issue.
                          Ankle in practice. Hoping to have him back for Saturday. On the bench in street clothes at Notre Dame (and limping noticeably)

Comment

• Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

Ankle in practice. Hoping to have him back for Saturday. On the bench in street clothes at Notre Dame (and limping noticeably)
                            I would have liked to see how McKinney (with his length and quick hands) would have hounded the Owens kid. Admittedly, Yoakum had a bit of trouble keeping Owens out of the lane, but I think it would have been a fun matchup to see McKinney D him up.

But it's a match-up we never got to see--Owens was out the first time WLU played NDC, and McKinney was out last night.

Comment

I would have liked to see how McKinney (with his length and quick hands) would have hounded the Owens kid. Admittedly, Yoakum had a bit of trouble keeping Owens out of the lane, but I think it would have been a fun matchup to see McKinney D him up.

But it's a match-up we never got to see--Owens was out the first time WLU played NDC, and McKinney was out last night.
                              If NDC beats Urbana and/or Frostburg loses to Fairmont, you could get your wish in the second round of the MEC Tourney.

Comment

• Log this under interesting. After going through most of the season clearly ahead of WLU in the national polls and in the W/L column, Nova Southeastern and St Crutch fell to four losses on the season and as a result, have fallen behind WLU in both national polls (13 and 14 in the NABC and 12 and 14 in the D2SIDA). Like the Toppers, Nova is ranked #2 in their region.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X