• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Moyne offered him today.

Comment

• And Stonehill and AB.

Comment

• What smart, unselfish basketball is all about. One of my favorite wlu highlights...
        https://youtu.be/sbZ8cScCnxg

Young players: notice how the guy who blocked the shot kept the ball in play and did not gesticulate to the crowd. He stayed in the moment and instantly went from defense to offense and sprinted down the court. As a result, he got an assist after his block.
        Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-11-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          What smart, unselfish basketball is all about. One of my favorite wlu highlights...
          https://youtu.be/sbZ8cScCnxg

Young players: notice how the guy who blocked the shot kept the ball in play and did not gesticulate to the crowd. He stayed in the moment and instantly went from defense to offense and sprinted down the court. As a result, he got an assist after his block.
          WOW!! Five pass fast break from the baseline to the basket! I'm sure it's happened, but I don't recall ever seeing a fast break with that many passes were the ball never touched the floor!

Comment

• Incredible passing and all 5 players touched the ball in the sequence.Might have been in the regional.
            This year WLU had a sequence where it did not touch the floor (can't recall the game) but not as spectacular as this.

Comment

• Allessondro offers from AB, Georgian Court, OK Baptist, Tiffin, Walsh, Stonehill, Le Moyne
              Shiflett offers from Fresno Pacific, Biola, Montevallo, Slipper Rock, Coker, KY Wesleyan

Comment

• Originally posted by wheelingtopper62 View Post
                Allessondro offers from AB, Georgian Court, OK Baptist, Tiffin, Walsh, Stonehill, Le Moyne
                Shiflett offers from Fresno Pacific, Biola, Montevallo, Slipper Rock, Coker, KY Wesleyan
                Some good schools! I could see them being successful at many of those schools. Hope they do due diligence on academic and financial footing. Several are on shaky ground.
                Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-15-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Verbal Commits shows that the Satterfield kid (long, athletic, good shooter) from Charleston Catholic has officially received an offer from Charleston. I know Satterfield did visit WLU--I saw him in attendance at the Glenville game where WLU dropped about 86 on the Pioneers in the first half. I'll be interested to see if Howlett counters with an offer of his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                    Verbal Commits shows that the Satterfield kid (long, athletic, good shooter) from Charleston Catholic has officially received an offer from Charleston. I know Satterfield did visit WLU--I saw him in attendance at the Glenville game where WLU dropped about 86 on the Pioneers in the first half. I'll be interested to see if Howlett counters with an offer of his own.
                    Just a jr and captain of class A all state team. Impressive!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                      Verbal Commits shows that the Satterfield kid (long, athletic, good shooter) from Charleston Catholic has officially received an offer from Charleston. I know Satterfield did visit WLU--I saw him in attendance at the Glenville game where WLU dropped about 86 on the Pioneers in the first half. I'll be interested to see if Howlett counters with an offer of his own.
                      Satterfield is extremely talented!! Would be great in the pressin Hilltopper system. Imagine him on ball with butler hazelbaker McKinney and Robinson

Comment

• I noticed the Mansfield transfer everybody (many, anyway) wanted picked Walsh. He had 8 offers -- including West Liberty.

Many -- myself included -- thought he was headed for IUP. Joe never offered despite initial interest on both sides. On private messages I called him coming to Indiana on the day he announced his transfer. Good thing I didn't be any money.

Walsh may be pretty loaded this upcoming season.

Comment

• Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-17-2020, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Luke dyer is national stat champion in assist to Turnover ratio. Second all time at 5.90 and so close to 6.00 which has never been done. Congrats Luke!
                            from hilltoppersports.com.

Men's Basketball | 4/18/2020 12:28:00 PM Story Links

WEST LIBERTY, W.Va. - It's official! West Liberty University backcourt ace Luke Dyer is a national stat champion.
                            The Hilltoppers' junior point guard led all NCAA men's basketball players - regardless of division - with a 5.90 Assist/Turnover Ratio, handing out 124 assists while committing just 21 turnovers for the entire 2019-20 season. Dyer will receive a commemorative plaque from the NCAA Office of Media Coordination and Statistics and the Hilltopper athletic department will also receive a plaque to put on permanent display.
                            "Luke had a stellar season for us at both ends of the floor," WLU head coach Ben Howlett said, "but those assist/turnover numbers were just off the chart. Luke is the definition of a fighter and was a big factor in every one of our 27 wins. He's an incredibly important piece of the puzzle for us and we will be relying on him heavily when we get back on the court next season."
                            While Dyer's assist/turnover numbers may not have technically been "off the charts," they came pretty close.
                            His 5.90 Assist/Turnover Ratio is the second-highest ratio in NCAA basketball history. According to the 2019-20 NCAA Record Book, it's just the seventh time an NCAA men's basketball player has finished a season with an Assist/Turnover Ratio above 5.00.
                            How close did Dyer come to setting an all-time NCAA record? Very close.
                            The record of 5.96 was set just last year by Devin Whitelow of NCAA Division II Winona State. Had Dyer picked up just two more assists or been charted with one fewer turnover in his 775 minutes of game action this season, he would have become the first player ever to break the 6.00 barrier.
                            But those aren't the numbers that draw the soft-spoken junior's competitive focus.
                            "I like to see us win," Dyer said during a late-season interview. "I like it when Coach Howlett comes into the locker room all excited after a win. We emphasize that a lot. Every practice is about winning drills, winning the day and I love that! The best part of the game is winning."
                            He certainly landed in the right place. The West Liberty men led NCAA Division II in wins over the past decade and have the best home winning percentage of any NCAA men's basketball program over that span.
                            Now in his third season as WLU's starting point guard, Dyer has done his part to help build on that tradition. The Black and Gold have won three straight Mountain East Conference championships and posted a sparkling 81-13 (.862) record with the West Virginia native at the helm.
                            Dyer was at his best this season as West Liberty came roaring down the stretch, winning 21 of its last 22 games to run away with another MEC championship before sweeping its way to an MEC Tournament title at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling. During a nine-game run from Jan. 22 to Feb. 19, Dyer handed out 39 assists while committing just one turnover in 231 minutes of game action.
                            Putting that into perspective, no NCAA men's basketball player has ever finished with an Assist/Turnover Ratio of 6.00 or better but West Liberty's junior point guard had a 39.00 Assist/Turnover Ratio for nearly a month.
                            Dyer checked off a lot of boxes on a nightly basis throughout the season. He led the Hilltoppers and ranked among the MEC leaders in assists and steals while also being charted with 5 or more rebounds on nine separate occasions.
                            A 1,000-point scorer who drained just under 200 3-point field goals as a first-team All-West Virginia selection at Robert C. Byrd High School, Dyer averaged just under 6 points a game this season. He shot over 44 percent from the 3-point arc and hit double-figures four times but is more than willing to pass up a good shot to create a great shot for one of his teammates.
                            "We have a bunch of really talented scorers on this team," Dyer said. "All I have to do is take care of the basketball and do my job."
                            There were more than 1,100 starting point guards running NCAA offenses this season. Going by the numbers, it's hard to imagine any of them did their job better than Luke Dyer.

Comment

• Pretty cool that they send you a plaque for it (even though it's not, like, POY or "Scoring Champion" or something). Nice gesture that the NCAA does that.

Comment

• Found this picture on their website from a couple of years ago. They have a display on the wall outside the basketball offices with all their national stat championship plaques over the years. The amazing thing to me, considering all the great players they've had, I think this is only the second individual stat championship for a West Liberty player (Seger led the nation in 3FG% as a junior). All those other plaques are team plaques.

MBB_Plaques_wall1.jpg

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X