Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      From my experience with big D1 schools, I got the impression that the number of full academic rides (Tuition and Room and Board and books and fees) are scarce as hen's teeth, where qualified and deserving recipients far exceed the number of available scholarships, and are much less in number than the total athletic full-rides. A great student who qualifies for this extremely competitive scholarship and also is a great athlete would be rare indeed (Dalton was #1 in his high school class, I think. Hazelbaker had a 4.25 GPA in high school due to college classes).

The style that WLU plays seems to be positively correlated with high performing students, which probably helps them in qualifying for some partial academic help. WLU also ensures that they don't recruit players that they have to baby-sit to go to class.
      The last couple of years, the published team GPA was over 3.0. Don't know about this year.
      I don't think big D1 programs want their players on academic schollys (maybe a couple of walk ons to keep the team GPA up or that they can do a story on that imply the importance the HC puts on academics, but not a "real" player). They want their player beholden to the athletic department and committed 100% to their sport. Cant have their QB1 or starting PG focusing on studying for a big exam when the team is installing a new play for the big game Saturday. Need them focused on what the REAL priority is!!

Comment

• Article on Ben Sarson https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202005200007

Comment

• FYI
          Perusing the NCAA all time records, I found WLU mentioned 82 times.
          Some highlights:
          #1 all time career 3 pt % - Segar Bonifant 2016 over 52%
          #1 all time Most points scored in a season - WLU in 2011 (actually they occupy the top four positions)
          #1 the for most 100 pt. games in a season - 25 by WLU in 2011. The year they averaged 111+ pts. over 34 games

Comment

• Way too early speculation on 2020-2021 Hilltoppers There is so much balance in the top 10 Hilltoppers. The coaches may utilize them like jigsaw pieces, with starters depending on the skills of the opponent. As a result, I ranked them based on minimum expected minutes.

I would not surprised to see three bigs play during the season - my guess is: Moore Jr., Hazelbaker and Watson.
            Moore's and Hazelbaker's minutes will be influenced by their foul situation. Total Speculation. Anyhow, here goes. Note that player order within same number of minutes is not important.

Player Estimated Minimum Minutes
            Bolon 24
            Dyer 22
            Yoakum 22
            Butler 19
            Robinson III 19
            Moore, Jr. 19
            McKinney 19
            Conley 13
            Hazelbaker 13
            Rasile 13
            Watson 13
            Hiles 4
            Powell 0 (redshirt?)
            Sarson 0 (redshirt?)
            Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-27-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• FYI
              Zach Rasile workout with clockwork athletics.
              Note the superb balance on the jump stop and the rapid release with flawless mechanics, which enables him to have incredible range... He had 140 threes this year and over 400 in his career, two records that may never be broken.
              if he gets stronger and is adequate on defense, it may be hard to kept him off the floor.
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pxmrCOmt9dU

Comment

• Comment

• FYI
                  wlu basketball and all summer camps are cancelled. Players used to work camps and play in open gym. How will it affect acclimation of new players?

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    FYI
                    wlu basketball and all summer camps are cancelled. Players used to work camps and play in open gym. How will it affect acclimation of new players?
                    Don't know about TOPPERS players but a number of VULCANS have been working out at DMV BASKETBALL ACADEMY in DC. Pictured below are BRENT PEGRAM, DYLIN BORDEN and JERMAINE HALL but DS has a number of signees from the Tidewater region and most have spent some time here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMVBBAcad...418176/photo/1

Comment

• That's likely the cover-your-a$$ approach. That means no 'official' workouts.

Just about the whole IUP team has been on campus for weeks now.

Comment

• I would imagine that the players will get plenty of basketball work in over the summer regardless of wether it is at WLU or some other place. Dont think many of the Topper players are the kind that need to be forced to tend to their off season work.

I would imagine Ben has been in contact with each player and has provided them with a daily workout schedule. Those who do their work will be in better shape once practice begins.

Worst case scenario is that WLU isn't quite as polished the first couple of games.
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 06-15-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          I would imagine that the players will get plenty of basketball work in over the summer regardless of wether it is at WLU or some other place. Dont think many of the Topper players are the kind that need to be forced to tend to their off season work.

I would imagine Ben has been in contact with each player and has provided them with a daily workout schedule. Those who do their work will be in better shape once practice begins.

Worst case scenario is that WLU isn't quite as polished the first couple of games.
                          And without an OOC schedule, there won't be an Andrew Sischo lurking in those first few games. Let's just hope those first few include a Frostburg or a Glenville instead of a WVSU or a Fairmont.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

And without an OOC schedule, there won't be an Andrew Sischo lurking in those first few games. Let's just hope those first few include a Frostburg or a Glenville instead of a WVSU or a Fairmont.
                            Soooo...are you advocating for easier games to start the season???? Hahahahaha!!!

Comment

I would imagine that the players will get plenty of basketball work in over the summer regardless of wether it is at WLU or some other place. Dont think many of the Topper players are the kind that need to be forced to tend to their off season work.

Good points Boat. To compete at WLU one has to be a gym rat and abhor losing. However the open gym games to 100 are so important to the WLU success where players become so familiar with each other that they can predict each other's movements in real time. Coach said he would love to have games where he never had to call a play. The intensity and pressure of these games to 100 is a sight to behold, with pileups as multiple bodies dive for loose balls. Can't get that in the high ball screen dribble drive playground games. Also they track wins and losses of each player. Losing has consequences too where they might have to run some wind sprints.

Comment

Soooo...are you advocating for easier games to start the season???? Hahahahaha!!!
                                In a season with an abnormal preseason? You bet!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X