Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'm interested in Watson but from the prespective of how WLU uses him. He is a bit unique for a WLU player. Do they treat him as just another shooter who plays largly from the outside? Do they put him primarily in the low blocks and focus him on rebounds and put backs? If they do focus him down low, do they run any plays through him? this is kind of like having a commuter car your whole life then getting a truck...do you treat it like a less efficient commuter or do you figure out things to do with it that better meet what it is?
    Will be interesting to see what they tweak.
    From watching highlights I see him as a bigger version of Marlon Moore, and probably playing a similar role. He is 6-7 and 205 so he has the frame to play an up-and-down game.He might not be as good a 3 point shooter as Marlon (over 50%) at this point in his career, but he could be lethal in the open court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Will be interesting to see what they tweak.
      From watching highlights I see him as a bigger version of Marlon Moore, and probably playing a similar role. He is 6-7 and 205 so he has the frame to play an up-and-down game.He might not be as good a 3 point shooter as Marlon (over 50%) at this point in his career, but he could be lethal in the open court.
      50%+ from 3 point land...that's CRAZY!

I hope WLU doesn't use him as just a big outside shooter/slasher. He has the size to be so much more than "just" that. Imagine the current team with an inside game to compliment the through the roof outside shooting! Imagine him facing up at the elbow and hitting the jumper, driving down the lane or kicking out to one of WLU's many 3pt snipers!!

Comment

50%+ from 3 point land...that's CRAZY!
        Yep. Few would have guessed that Marlon was #1 on team with 21-41 for 51.2%. Will was 2nd with 63-125 for 50.4%. Marlon uses very good judgment when choosing to shoot the three. Also near perfect arc and rotation.

Comment

Yep. Few would have guessed that Marlon was #1 on team with 21-41 for 51.2%. Will was 2nd with 63-125 for 50.4%. Marlon uses very good judgment when choosing to shoot the three. Also near perfect arc and rotation.
          As a team, when the Toppers shoot north of 40% from 3, they are hard to beat!

Comment

• Glenville has tried to implement some wl concepts, with limited success. This has led to wl scoring 120+ and 150+ points in the last two games at the hilltop.
            Now i see that almost the whole roster from last year is gone. Would not seem to be the ideal way to teach a new system. Anyone know the details? Have they given up on Wl concepts?

Comment

Glenville has tried to implement some wl concepts, with limited success. This has led to wl scoring 120+ and 150+ points in the last two games at the hilltop.
              Now i see that almost the whole roster from last year is gone. Would not seem to be the ideal way to teach a new system. Anyone know the details? Have they given up on Wl concepts?
              Give up 150 in a game and even the President of the university should be fired. LOL.

That's beyond pathetic. It's hard to comprehend.

Comment

Glenville has tried to implement some wl concepts, with limited success. This has led to wl scoring 120+ and 150+ points in the last two games at the hilltop.
                Beg to disagree a little. I know I'm preaching to the choir but WLU's style is not just running and chucking up 3's. Defensively it's about full court pressure to force turnovers and then getting the ball into the offensive end as quickly as possible. While some of the passes are lightning fast, there are typically 3-4 passes in the offensive end before a shot is taken...Those passes make take place in a 5 second period, but they are there. This "offensive pressure" contributes almost as much as the 'defensive pressure."

Comment

Beg to disagree a little. I know I'm preaching to the choir but WLU's style is not just running and chucking up 3's. Defensively it's about full court pressure to force turnovers and then getting the ball into the offensive end as quickly as possible. While some of the passes are lightning fast, there are typically 3-4 passes in the offensive end before a shot is taken...Those passes make take place in a 5 second period, but they are there. This "offensive pressure" contributes almost as much as the 'defensive pressure."

Comment

• In a nutshell, two things define the WLU style...Constant offensive and defensive pressure and trading 3's for 2's. If I had a dollar for every time a team "broke" WLU's press and scored a layup and WLU quickly inbounded and three quick passes later hit a pull-up 3, then applied pressure, stole the ball and pulled up for another 3, I'd have a nice piece of change in the bank! Can't remember the game but I recall seeing WLU's opponent break the press on three consecutive occasions and get lay-ups...and WLU ran the ball up and drained three consecutive 3's. It was like a 30 second span that saw WLU surge from a tie to a 3 point lead. WLU's opponent called a TO and they were GASSED but WLU's players were fresh and went on to extend the lead and coast to a 20 point W.

Comment

In a nutshell, two things define the WLU style...Constant offensive and defensive pressure and trading 3's for 2's. If I had a dollar for every time a team "broke" WLU's press and scored a layup and WLU quickly inbounded and three quick passes later hit a pull-up 3, then applied pressure, stole the ball and pulled up for another 3, I'd have a nice piece of change in the bank! Can't remember the game but I recall seeing WLU's opponent break the press on three consecutive occasions and get lay-ups...and WLU ran the ball up and drained three consecutive 3's. It was like a 30 second span that saw WLU surge from a tie to a 3 point lead. WLU's opponent called a TO and they were GASSED but WLU's players were fresh and went on to extend the lead and coast to a 20 point W.
                      What I've observed over the years is you simply cannot under any circumstances fall in to that WL pace. The teams that beat them slow the game way down. Why the Glenville State's of the world continually want to get in to a sprint with them is beyond mind boggling.

Far too many MEC teams tried to 'roster up' like West Liberty. That doesn't work. You aren't going to beat them playing their pace. I always thought Sancomb's teams were built more like upper-level PSAC teams as opposed to MEC teams.

You've seen Mercyhurst, Ship and IUP control the tempo of the game against them - and give the defense right back. You get in a track meet and goodnight. Break the press and hold the ball. Taking those easy layups is what they want you to do. Slow it to a PSAC pace and you can see if frustrates WL players. Add in a dominant big and that's the recipe. Granted, you need strong guards to pull this off. A typical PSAC team -- Clarion, Edinboro, etc., -- cannot.

It seems Charleston is going in that direction roster-wise.

But, it is funny year after year to watch several of those MEC teams want to outscore WL -- and lose by 45.

I'm interested to see what kind of roster Konig builds at Fairmont.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What I've observed over the years is you simply cannot under any circumstances fall in to that WL pace. The teams that beat them slow the game way down. Why the Glenville State's of the world continually want to get in to a sprint with them is beyond mind boggling.

Far too many MEC teams tried to 'roster up' like West Liberty. That doesn't work. You aren't going to beat them playing their pace. I always thought Sancomb's teams were built more like upper-level PSAC teams as opposed to MEC teams.

You've seen Mercyhurst, Ship and IUP control the tempo of the game against them - and give the defense right back. You get in a track meet and goodnight. Break the press and hold the ball. Taking those easy layups is what they want you to do. Slow it to a PSAC pace and you can see if frustrates WL players. Add in a dominant big and that's the recipe. Granted, you need strong guards to pull this off. A typical PSAC team -- Clarion, Edinboro, etc., -- cannot.

It seems Charleston is going in that direction roster-wise.

But, it is funny year after year to watch several of those MEC teams want to outscore WL -- and lose by 45.

I'm interested to see what kind of roster Konig builds at Fairmont.
                        Building a WLU roster and playing the WLU style is tantalizing easy...At least on the surface. But for some reason coaches at other schools seem either unable or unwilling to do it. Coaches at other schools, particularly within the region, see and know the "level" and type of player WLU recruits year after year, there is PLENTY written and on video about the plays WLU runs, likewise plenty has been written about WLU's "practiceless practice" and constant competition. Also ample proof of the quick turnaround that can be accomplished (WLU and now Nova Southeastern). The blueprint is there for any coach that wants to follow...but they don't follow.

While WLU has stepped up the "quality" of players it has been bringing in the last several years, it's not like you have to have players like them to run the WLU system. You look at the players WLU brought in back in the day. Basically players that no one wanted...the scrappers, the gym rats, the coaches sons, the 100% heart guys who were not the stars on their HS teams. As Crutch famously said, we've never won a pregame warm-up. That was 100% true...You'd watch them and then the other team in warm-up and think, my god, it's going to be a blood bath and it often was...just not the blood bath you were expecting. Those players are STILL out there for any coach to grab-up...but they just are unwilling to do it.

I'm certainly not a basketball expert, but if I were to somehow get a HC gig at a down trodden DII, I'm implamenting the WLU style right down to the color of the team socks!

Just checked the WLU web-site for the history against the three teams you mention as having "great success" against WLU. Since the 2010, the record in head-to-head matchups is:

vs IUP, WLU is ahead 3-1
                        vs Hurst, WLU is tied 1-1
                        vs Ship, WLU is behind 0-1

Comment

Building a WLU roster and playing the WLU style is tantalizing easy...At least on the surface. But for some reason coaches at other schools seem either unable or unwilling to do it. Coaches at other schools, particularly within the region, see and know the "level" and type of player WLU recruits year after year, there is PLENTY written and on video about the plays WLU runs, likewise plenty has been written about WLU's "practiceless practice" and constant competition. Also ample proof of the quick turnaround that can be accomplished (WLU and now Nova Southeastern). The blueprint is there for any coach that wants to follow...but they don't follow.

While WLU has stepped up the "quality" of players it has been bringing in the last several years, it's not like you have to have players like them to run the WLU system. You look at the players WLU brought in back in the day. Basically players that no one wanted...the scrappers, the gym rats, the coaches sons, the 100% heart guys who were not the stars on their HS teams. As Crutch famously said, we've never won a pregame warm-up. That was 100% true...You'd watch them and then the other team in warm-up and think, my god, it's going to be a blood bath and it often was...just not the blood bath you were expecting. Those players are STILL out there for any coach to grab-up...but they just are unwilling to do it.

I'm certainly not a basketball expert, but if I were to somehow get a HC gig at a down trodden DII, I'm implamenting the WLU style right down to the color of the team socks!

Just checked the WLU web-site for the history against the three teams you mention as having "great success" against WLU. Since the 2010, the record in head-to-head matchups is:

vs IUP, WLU is ahead 3-1
                          vs Hurst, WLU is tied 1-1
                          vs Ship, WLU is behind 0-1
                          Right, but if you go back one more year it's 3-2 vs. IUP and the tie-breaker game was in Double OT (and neither cracked 100). Those games were a long time ago ... talking more recently 5-6 years.

Point was more recently the PSAC teams have had success. And, I'm not counting the Clarion's and Seton Hill's. I think WL is like 4-4 in its last 8 meetings against top PSAC teams. They have losses to Kutztown, (blowout loss) Ship, (blowout loss) Mercy and IUP and two wins against WCU, one against East Stroudsburg (OT) and Kutztown.

Over the past 5-6 years the PSAC has done a much better job of slowing the game down.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Right, but if you go back one more year it's 3-2 vs. IUP and the tie-breaker game was in Double OT (and neither cracked 100). Those games were a long time ago ... talking more recently 5-6 years.

Point was more recently the PSAC teams have had success. And, I'm not counting the Clarion's and Seton Hill's. I think WL is like 4-4 in its last 8 meetings against top PSAC teams. They have losses to Kutztown, (blowout loss) Ship, (blowout loss) Mercy and IUP and two wins against WCU, one against East Stroudsburg (OT) and Kutztown.

Over the past 5-6 years the PSAC has done a much better job of slowing the game down.
                            https://topperstation.com/watch/mens...vember-17-2018
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 10-21-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• D2 basketball gets an extra year.
                              as i understand it, those who have used up eligibility (i.e., seniors) could come back and retain aid but would not count against scholarship limit. However any transfers would count against scholarship limit, Which is 10 in d2.
                              if Dalton, Luke And Marlon return, wlu could be lethal, especially with the underclassmen.

Comment

• Basketball Times Pre-Season rankings just dropped. WLU checks in at #4 behind NW Missouri, W TX A&M and Lincoln Memorial and one slot ahead of #5 IUP. Other Atlantic Region teams making the poll are Charleston at #18 and Fairmont at #20.

WLU placed two on the Pre-Season All-American list with Bolon and Yoakum making the list.

For those interested, the "other" team playing the WLU-Style, Nova Southeastern, checked in at #8

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...preseason.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X