Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

[QUOTE=Columbuseer;2062371]Agree that anyone (athlete or non-athlete) who receives this windfall to totally free college is POSSIBLY better off. The difference is the academic motivation and time available to devote to academics.
    Unfortunately, many kids do not graduate or are steered to deadend majors to preserve eligibility when a great trade school would provide a better ROI.
    What about the poor kid with a 3.5 who wants to major in Computer Science who gets no assistance and needs it? Who would have the greater ROI to society as a whole?
    The rapid consumption of jobs by androids will cause many of these jobs to disappear and the ROI will become even more tenuous.

I question if a football player and his football scholarship is keeping that poor kid with a 3.5 and wants to major in Computer Science from 1. getting into college and 2. from getting financial aid. As I said previously athletic scholly's in most (?) states can not utilize state funds so must be funded through private donations so I don't think the athletic aid the football player is getting is preventing the prospective Computer Scientist from getting the academic aid he so richly deserves...Of course, the tuba player that had a 4.0 GPA and was Valedictorian just might!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Columbuseer;2062374]You nailed it. Supply and demand. As long we fans continue to worship sports over academics, nothing will change.
      Friends asked me the favorite sport of folks in Taiwan. Only half-jokingly, I replied, "studying".
      Japanese kids go 240 days a year to school, while the USA goes 180 days, like the kids still need to work on the farm in the summer.
      Ultimately, the wealth of a country is tied to the intellectual achievement of its citizens.
      One reason I like West Lib is that the basketball roster averaged 3.3 GPA. Crutch said he never had the need to get tutors.
      Refreshing. Nova Southeastern had a 3.2 GPA for ALL athletes, so Crutch will fit right in there.

Hay...I'm all for the "Asian model" of education in the US. But that would represent a DRAMATIC change that would begin on the first day a child arrives at school. VERY structured and discipline oriented with parents held as equally responsible for performance as the student is. Very much based on standardized testing...for example Taiwanees students have to take and pass a test to go to High School. Don't pass...don't go...pass but don't get the highest score...You go to Vocational School. Same with college...highest scores get seats in the most prestigious colleges...pass but not at the top...technical college for you...don't pass...time to go find a job.

Comment

[QUOTE=boatcapt;2062445]
        Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Agree that anyone (athlete or non-athlete) who receives this windfall to totally free college is POSSIBLY better off. The difference is the academic motivation and time available to devote to academics.
        Unfortunately, many kids do not graduate or are steered to deadend majors to preserve eligibility when a great trade school would provide a better ROI.
        What about the poor kid with a 3.5 who wants to major in Computer Science who gets no assistance and needs it? Who would have the greater ROI to society as a whole?
        The rapid consumption of jobs by androids will cause many of these jobs to disappear and the ROI will become even more tenuous.

I question if a football player and his football scholarship is keeping that poor kid with a 3.5 and wants to major in Computer Science from 1. getting into college and 2. from getting financial aid. As I said previously athletic scholly's in most (?) states can not utilize state funds so must be funded through private donations so I don't think the athletic aid the football player is getting is preventing the prospective Computer Scientist from getting the academic aid he so richly deserves...Of course, the tuba player that had a 4.0 GPA and was Valedictorian just might!!!
        My comments are based on 4 kids I know who went to ohio d1 schools. Like u I found it hard to believe the scarcity of scholarships.it was a big surprise. The one with 4+ gpa had 1300/1600 sat and got half of tuition waived. Average subsidy for athletics at Ohio d1 schools is $819 per student per year according to Nov 2016 article. Osu is the only school that is self sufficient with no subsidy.

Comment

Re education changes.
          U are right. Most dramatic improvements in quality in anything require radically new processes. As u mentioned it requires parents to emphasize education achievement. People live up or down to expectations known as Pygmalion effect. Unfortunately many parents think alligator arm son Johnny is the next all pro defensive end. Lol
          Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-10-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Im sure dennis was following crutch regardless and guillozet after being highly recruited by fairmont met crutch and went to the hilltop. I heard he wanted to follow crutch or stay at west lib initially but was asked by the new coach to follow him somewhere if he didnt get the west lib job. But when he and dennis were both blocked and appealed neither intended to stay. Dennis obviously got his release after appeal guillozet did not. He might have stayed i heard but after he was bullied not to be able to visit nova he visited several other schools. Valdosta apparently got the most votes of his visits taken. I bet if crutch had not left neither would have those two. Next up!!

Comment

I think Dennis was going to go regardless. He had too many people whispering D1 in his ears. Guillozet...maybe he goes even if Crutch stayed...maybe not. As for blocking Guillozet, why should WLU give Crutch the easy button and allow him to cherry pick good players off their roster? He got Dennis so he should be happy...now go out and recruit your own players!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                I think Dennis was going to go regardless. He had too many people whispering D1 in his ears. Guillozet...maybe he goes even if Crutch stayed...maybe not. As for blocking Guillozet, why should WLU give Crutch the easy button and allow him to cherry pick good players off their roster? He got Dennis so he should be happy...now go out and recruit your own players!!
                Agree 100%.

Comment

Does make me curious what was different about the respective appeals of Dennis and Guillozet. Maybe it set a dangerous precedence that was unique to Guillozet and not Dennis , or maybe they thought they could sway him to stay? Probably never know.

Comment

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
                    Agree 100%.
                    From Nova signings so far, Crutch does not seem to be having too much trouble in recruiting players - Two time member of Pittsburgh Fab 5. Leading scorer in Ashland Ohio history who played d1 as a frosh and hit 94% FTs.
                    He has a 6 ft 9 guy already on the roster who got 19 against WLU last year and hit 40% of 3s (he is a senior). Glad I have two teams now that play a style that I like - WLU and Nova.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      Does make me curious what was different about the respective appeals of Dennis and Guillozet. Maybe it set a dangerous precedence that was unique to Guillozet and not Dennis , or maybe they thought they could sway him to stay? Probably never know.
                      With all due respect...why is it so important to keep talking about two players that are no longer Hilltoppers? Talk about a clinic in how to beat a dead horse! I would rather be informed about the players that are still at WL, stayed committed to their team, and want to be Hilltoppers. And yes I realize it's the offseason..........but geesh!

Comment

With all due respect...why is it so important to keep talking about two players that are no longer Hilltoppers? Talk about a clinic in how to beat a dead horse! I would rather be informed about the players that are still at WL, stayed committed to their team, and want to be Hilltoppers. And yes I realize it's the offseason..........but geesh!
                        It's like Francis of Assisi asking to leave heaven!
                        A lottery winner turning down the jackpot! What were they thinking! Lol
                        Summer doldrums. But there is hope if we can hang on for 4 more months!

Comment

It's the off season and nothing is really going on in football or basketball. We can always go back and talk about concussions, the true cost of starting a football program, trial lawyers or maybe changing the US education system to resemble Taiwan if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            It's the off season and nothing is really going on in football or basketball. We can always go back and talk about concussions, the true cost of starting a football program, trial lawyers or maybe changing the US education system to resemble Taiwan if you like.
                            Lol. Good one! We have covered some ground haven't we?

Comment

It's actually a good point...they're gone...it's fortunate or unfortunate or maybe a little of both...but let's rev up the talk about your 17-18 running hilltoppers...

I think this version of the Hilltoppers will surprise in a lot of ways....new coach, lost dennis, lost clay, lost grossenbacher, lost hoehn, etc, etc...Most will think they will be down...but Arnold, Monty, Griff, is a solid start...And I predict Saban as my freshman to watch...and don't forget about the RS freshman...much has been said of Bolon...There are always gems on that roster...Hoehn was RS freshman, and pretty much played starter mins his Frosh year, and started afterwards...we'll see...

Comment

Just guessing but I predict that several incoming freshmen will contribute more than some of the bench guys coming back. Maybe not at the first of the season but towards the end. Wonder who will be redshirted?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X