Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My real issue is how we are processing the game shot selection wise. Years past players who maybe weren't hitting from 3 but faced with a somewhat contested, but still makeable 3 would pass to a more open player or close the distance to the basket and pullup and take a shorter (and more makable) intermediate jumper. This year it seems like it is an all or nothing thing...either take somewhat contested 3 or take it all the way inside on the dribble. That last pass or intermediate range jumper seems to have left the Toppers inventory of things to do.

I hope we get things figured out because what I saw against Concord and in at least one of the other games will not get us very far in the NCAA tourney which is now between 12 and 14 games away.

Comment

• Great points boat. I thought we were making the extra pass against frostburg. It was beautiful basketball. If we can maintain that level of play, we could go deep in the tourney.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Great points boat. I thought we were making the extra pass against frostburg. It was beautiful basketball. If we can maintain that level of play, we could go deep in the tourney.
        When WLU plays it's game, it is beautiful. But what we forget is that everything is interconnected. Mess with one part and it has a ripple effect that effects the other parts in unintended ways. Playing dribble drive seems like a small thing, but when one of our players does that, it gives the other four defenders a moment to rest. Same with not making that extra pass or not pressuring quite as hard as you should in the press. Gives the other team a moment to rest. Seems like small, insignifigant things but when you add them up over the course of a half or game it gives the other team a little more air in their lungs and jump in their jump shot. Add in trading 2 for 2 vice 3 for 2 and it can bight you...like it did at Concord.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

When WLU plays it's game, it is beautiful. But what we forget is that everything is interconnected. Mess with one part and it has a ripple effect that effects the other parts in unintended ways. Playing dribble drive seems like a small thing, but when one of our players does that, it gives the other four defenders a moment to rest. Same with not making that extra pass or not pressuring quite as hard as you should in the press. Gives the other team a moment to rest. Seems like small, insignifigant things but when you add them up over the course of a half or game it gives the other team a little more air in their lungs and jump in their jump shot. Add in trading 2 for 2 vice 3 for 2 and it can bight you...like it did at Concord.

Comment

• I would say to othee teams, be careful what you learn from a WLU loss and duplicatcate at your own risk. WLU will have little hiccups during the year but thats usually because we vear from what bring us here. Over the years, it seems like WLU has only one real achilese heal...that being the other team having a dominant big man. We may lose a game here and a game there when we get away from the WLU style, but losing to a dominant big seems to be a constant.

Comment

I would say to othee teams, be careful what you learn from a WLU loss and duplicatcate at your own risk. WLU will have little hiccups during the year but thats usually because we vear from what bring us here. Over the years, it seems like WLU has only one real achilese heal...that being the other team having a dominant big man. We may lose a game here and a game there when we get away from the WLU style, but losing to a dominant big seems to be a constant.
              Yep, big man plus great shooting guard for kick out when we double the big... like shippensburg and sleva in the past.

however, things are changing. Just give Owen and Elijah some time... Owen is in gym at 8 am every morning with Dalton working on his own to get better. His three point shooting will cause bigs trouble.

Comment

• FYI
                looking ahead to next year- we are getting an incredible point guard in Dante Spadafora from PA. That guy has the highest, non stop motor I have seen in quite a while. 100% effort until buzzer regardless of the score.

Defeated #2 in 3A aliquippa 77-39. His team is #1 in smaller 2A.
                Dante got player of the game and is interviewed after the game.

https://olshathletics.org/sports/201...s-network.aspx

Comment

FYI
                  looking ahead to next year- we are getting an incredible point guard in Dante Spadafora from PA. That guy has the highest, non stop motor I have seen in quite a while. 100% effort until buzzer regardless of the score.

Defeated #2 in 3A aliquippa 77-39. His team is #1 in smaller 2A.
                  Dante got player of the game and is interviewed after the game.

https://olshathletics.org/sports/201...s-network.aspx
                  Let's hope he lives up to his commitment! We've been burned a couple of times by players having big senior seasons in HS decommitting believing they were bound for D1 stardom at a P5 program. Hopefully HIS advisors have more commonsense!!

Comment

Let's hope he lives up to his commitment! We've been burned a couple of times by players having big senior seasons in HS decommitting believing they were bound for D1 stardom at a P5 program. Hopefully HIS advisors have more commonsense!!
                    He has stated in interviews that he turned down d1 offers to sign with west liberty. In the post game interview he said he wants to lead wlu to a national title. Announcers said we are getting an even better person than a basketball player.

Comment

He has stated in interviews that he turned down d1 offers to sign with west liberty. In the post game interview he said he wants to lead wlu to a national title. Announcers said we are getting an even better person than a basketball player.
                      Hope he shows at WLU...Just a little gun shy after a couple of highly touted players decommitted.

Comment

Hope he shows at WLU...Just a little gun shy after a couple of highly touted players decommitted.
                        He has signed loi so I would be very surprised if he reneged. Integrity appears to be very strong. I can only think of one player who did AFTER SIGNING LOI - Sincere Carry. Had a great state tourney and somehow gets info that Duquesne is interested. Leader of team and pre season all atlantic 10 when he decides to transfer two weeks ago to Kent state. Dukes fans screaming where is the loyalty! Mr. Duquesne - meet Mr. Karma. LOL
                        Last edited by Columbuseer; 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

He has signed loi so I would be very surprised if he reneged. Integrity appears to be very strong. I can only think of one player who did AFTER SIGNING LOI - Sincere Carry. Had a great state tourney and somehow gets info that Duquesne is interested. Leader of team and pre season all atlantic 10 when he decides to transfer two weeks ago to Kent state. Dukes fans screaming where is the loyalty! Mr. Duquesne - meet Mr. Karma. LOL
                          Carry and Bekelja, meanwhile, heard the Dukes might be interested, if Carry could get his release from West Liberty.

They were aware of Dambrot because of his background at Akron, a close-to-home mid-major. So when the release came through, Bekelja called Dambrot and set up a visit for the same day. Carry came and committed immediately.

So much for a signed LOI preventing coaches from recruting players!!!

I think Chucky Humphries actually signed with WLU before decomitting. A Twitter post from him on Nov 11, 2015 said Officially a Hilltopper!! Proud to sign with West Liberty University! #3 in the country!! And includes two pics of him pen in hand signing his letter of intent. From what I could find about 2015, Nov 11 was the NSD for basketball.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Now THAT'S funny!

I think Chucky Humphries actually signed with WLU before decomitting...
                            forgot about him. Crutch actually spoke at the aliquippa sports banquet that year. Have a friend who grew up in aliquippa and still has family there. A lot more factors in the decision than the carry situation but he did not volunteer details. I was happy when he landed at iup. By all accounts a good young man.

Comment

forgot about him. Crutch actually spoke at the aliquippa sports banquet that year. Have a friend who grew up in aliquippa and still has family there. A lot more factors in the decision than the carry situation but he did not volunteer details. I was happy when he landed at iup. By all accounts a good young man.
                              Beyond a family situation, can't really think of one that would have prevented him from fulfilling his obligation to WLU. Guess he could have been academically inelligible but if I remember, there were a number of comments/stories about him being a good student. The un-volunteered other "factors in the decision" could have just as easily been, he really wanted to go D1 but didn't think he would get an offer.

Comment

• FYI west lib team national d2 stat ranking, (through Jan 24 unless otherwise noted)

# 1
                                Scoring 106.8

Steals per Game 11

Turnovers forced per game 21.40

Total Rebounds Per Game 46

Scoring margin 24
                                Turnover margin 7.6
                                Rebound Margin 10

Offensive rebounds per game 17.6

Assists per game 18.8

Free Throw % 81.56%

Defensive Rebounds per game 28.4