Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Nice problem to have and wlu is not alone in this regard. Best players play based on performance in scrimmages. I don't think anyone will be encouraged to leave on this basis. Not wlu culture. They may decide to leave for more minutes or to be a big fish in a little pond.. However minutes are a deceiving metric. 20 mins at wlu may actually be more possessions than 30+ minutes at other schools due to the pace of play. Like an immersion language course.

For any d2 teams, I would imagine options include, but are not limited to:
    -redshirts - Dalton and will redshirted even though they could have played.
    - go with 3 rotations and dial up the pressure even more. I see this being more likely to happen when game is out of reach in second half. Bad news for wlu opponents because pressure won't relent even in 3rd rotation. This could allow wlu to turn the game of basketball more toward an anaerobic game like hockey.
    It is a good "problem" to have...but it is a problem. It's a kin to the "only one football" problem. I would imagine that a couple players will leave for greener pastures...question is, which ones? I believe college teams can only dress 13 players for games so we couldn't trot out THREE platoons (I think that would demand some sort of health related Mercy Rule!!), but we could get close! Put your #1 (Bolon) and #2 (Yoakum/Robinson?) on the floor with the #1's AND #3's...Or keep your top second 5 player out with the 3rd's and put Bolon, Yoakum or Robinson in with the 3'rd unit.

Imagine a 3rd unit consisting of a rotating group of 3 chosen from:

Sarson
    Connley
    Spadafora
    Webb
    Saterfield
    Hiles

Paired with say:

Bolon
    Butler

That would be a pretty good 5 in it's own right!

Interesting observation (at least to me!)...There will probably be a couple of transfers from WLU and a couple from Nova as well due to the "playing time/additional year of eligibility" issue. Seems like the perfect situation for a young coach at a struggling DII or low level D1 who might have thought about instituting the WLU System, to jump start the process. If you can bring in 4 or 5 players who know what the WLU Style is and have successfully delt with the pressure of WLU practices and games, you could really get a leg up over trying to build from scratch. Bring in 5 WLU/Nova transfers, recruit 3-4 all effort/coaches son/gym rat type players and a couple of hold overs that buy into the system, roll the balls out and see what you might have!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 02-04-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Ahhhh...I see, it is every one elses fault that IUP is not playing! Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

You aren't good for much, but at least you make me laugh every now and then!
      Funny thing is it's the truth. I have inside scoop but you wouldn't know that. You'd rather sit in your fantasy world down there in inbreeding country!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Funny thing is it's the truth. I have inside scoop but you wouldn't know that. You'd rather sit in your fantasy world down there in inbreeding country!
        So much wrong with your post I can't begin to unpack it. Love the "inside scoop!" If I had a dollar for everyone who said that on this board, I'd have quite the pile of cash. Fantasy world indeed...keep passing on those "inside scoops" that you create!

Comment

So much wrong with your post I can't begin to unpack it. Love the "inside scoop!" If I had a dollar for everyone who said that on this board, I'd have quite the pile of cash. Fantasy world indeed...keep passing on those "inside scoops" that you create!
          You two should box and the winner gets Jake Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

His ship has already suck...

Comment

Lol. Good one. Need a fine for wasting electrons.

Comment

We'd schedule the bout but he would cancel claiming that the governor wouldn't let him fight. Either that or he'd claim that everyone was afraid to fight him in warm up fights because he was so big and bad!!

Comment

• Wlu stats
                  FYI west lib team national d2 stat ranking, (through midnight Feb 3 unless otherwise noted)

# 1
                  Scoring 104.2

Assists per game 20
                  Offensive rebounds per game 16.33

Scoring margin 22

Steals per Game 10.3
                  Total Rebounds Per Game 45.11
                  Turnovers forced per game 19.78

Rebound Margin 9

Turnover margin 5.7

Free Throw % 80.00

Blocked shots per game 4.1

Assist to turnover ratio 1.42

Defensive Rebounds per game 28.78

FG percentage 48.03%

3 pt FG defense 30.1%

Comment

• Getting to 1.0 points per possession (PPP) places a D1 offense in the upper echelon of the competitive D1 landscape, which is dominated by 1-on-1, dribble drive and high ball screen concepts with relatively little effective passing.
                    (per Synergy Sports

The style may be why WL players have a future in Europe.
                    WEST Lib Stats 2020-2021 West Liberty 2019-2020 West Liberty 2018-2019 West Liberty 2017-2018 West Liberty 2016-2017 West Liberty 2015-2016 West Liberty 2014-2015 West Liberty 2013-2014 West Liberty
                    Points per Possession 1.22 1.27 1.27 1.28 1.25 1.25 1.28 1.26
                    The tremendous opportunity for WLU is that they have exceptional athletes, arguably more than any past WLU team. They are elite shooters and are better rebounders than past great WLU teams.

If they can continue to increase their PPP by:
                    • Lowering their turnovers per 100 possessions,
                    • Increase assists per 100 possessions through ball movement,
                    • Make the extra pass for a great shot as opposed to a difficult shot,
                    • Continue to kick out ball for threes from the lane, which ironically allows for much easier drives to the basket because the defense must defend the kickout pass from the lane; As witnessed in the A-B game, without help defense, they had no hope in stopping slashes to the rim for easy finishes,
                    • Increase their shooting % through better shot selection,
                    • Continue to hit the offensive glass hard,
                    Then

Comment

• FYI
                      preliminary rounds of d2 tourney will be hosted at pre-determined sites, independent of whether team is in tourney. Sites to be named next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                        FYI
                        preliminary rounds of d2 tourney will be hosted at pre-determined sites, independent of whether team is in tourney. Sites to be named next week.
                        I wonder why the NCAA is so reluctant to actually say how teams are going to be selected and the sites for the tourney? Almost like they are waiting until the last minute to avoid people complaining.

Comment

I wonder why the NCAA is so reluctant to actually say how teams are going to be selected and the sites for the tourney? Almost like they are waiting until the last minute to avoid people complaining.
                          Why do you care? Scared your sinking ship won't make it???

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Why do you care? Scared your sinking ship won't make it???
                            I care because my team and conference are playing. One thing for absolute sure, IUP will NOT make it. Seems like you shouldn't care at all since "the Gov" canceled IUP and the PSAC's season.

Comment

• For the record, WLU defeated WVW by 47 points, 111-64 yesterday. Bolon went for 34 and it appears whatever shooting issues he was having early in the season are behind him. Yoakum went for 17 and also appears to have his mojo back after a slow start.

Toppers are now 7-3 on the year with 6 games to play before the MEC Tourney.

Comment

For the record, WLU defeated WVW by 47 points, 111-64 yesterday. Bolon went for 34 and it appears whatever shooting issues he was having early in the season are behind him. Yoakum went for 17 and also appears to have his mojo back after a slow start.

Toppers are now 7-3 on the year with 6 games to play before the MEC Tourney.
                                Is that the local middle school they beat?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X