Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    What's up with Yoakum? Sub'ed out with 18:23 left in the second half vs Frostburg Saturday and then didn't play at all vs D&E.
    Don't want him hurt against the High School schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      NDC beats fairmont 96-85!
      And Fairmont turns around and plays AT WLU tomorrow and then AT Glenville (if they are back playing) the following night. Very tough stretch!

Comment

What's up with Yoakum? Sub'ed out with 18:23 left in the second half vs Frostburg Saturday and then didn't play at all vs D&E.
        Came up gimpy in the second half of the Frostburg game (rolled ankle, buckled knee, something like that). So either: a) his injury is serious enough to warrant holding him out, or b) they didn't want to risk re-rolling the ankle (or whatever it was) in a game against D&E with FSU looming. I would guess the latter. But saying so essentially means I'm agreeing with IUPalum (what is this world coming to?)! ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Came up gimpy in the second half of the Frostburg game (rolled ankle, buckled knee, something like that). So either: a) his injury is serious enough to warrant holding him out, or b) they didn't want to risk re-rolling the ankle (or whatever it was) in a game against D&E with FSU looming. I would guess the latter. But saying so essentially means I'm agreeing with IUPalum (what is this world coming to?)! ; )
          Now you're getting it!!!

Comment

• Atrocious shooting from three, from two and from the FT line; An effective shooting % of only 44%, when a typical game is 60%.
            • Only a 5-possession margin in turnovers and forcing 30% fewer turnovers (13) than their average.
            • They have the athletes to play tight half-court defense for the whole shot clock against shot creators, keeping pressure on the opponent on both defense and offense.
            • The are an amazing rebounding team, especially on the offensive glass, where they rebounded an incredible 43% of their missed shots.
            • They handled the ball incredibly well and refused to panic against the slow-down tactics, committing only 8 turnovers.
            • They used rapid passing and ball rotation to spread the defense and create openings for slashes to the rim to get and-ones or get fouled. We have several great finishers at the rim who only need a sliver of an opening and who can make shots after significant contact.
            • The great three-point shooters continued to take the wide-open three that D&E was giving them; in the second half they started dropping, which got the lead to double digits. Also, to their credit, lesser shooters passed up open threes to get the ball to a great three-point shooter, even though everyone has the green light to shoot at WLU. Very unselfish and IMHO the right decision against a slow-down team.
            • Despite the shooting woes, WLU averaged a very good 1.13 Points Per Possession (PPP). Only 7% of D1 schools average over 1.0 PPP.
            Given the open looks D&E was conceding to WLU, if WLU had been shooting their typical %, they would have scored 100 points and had at least 1.3 PPP.
            These are the type of games that complete, championship-caliber teams find a way to win. Very impressive.

Areas for Improvement
            1. Still crashing into motionless defenders at the rim and getting called for offensive foul, instead of taking an 8-foot jumper. We are not doing it as much, but it can be reduced further. To me, it seems like officials are siding with defender if he is motionless, even if he made some contact.
            Statistic West Liberty at Davis & Elkins
            POINTS 77 59
            FGM 26 21
            FGA 71 54
            FGPCT 36.6% 38.9%
            3FGM 11 4
            3FGA 42 22
            3FGPCT 26.2% 18.2%
            FTM 14 13
            FTA 22 18
            FTPCT 63.6% 72.2%
            REBOUND OFFENSIVE 21 8
            REBOUND DEFENSIVE 28 28
            REBOUND TOTAL 49 36
            ASSISTS 17 13
            TURNOVERS 8 13
            BLOCKS 2 3
            STEALS 7 5
            Num Possessions 68 67
            Points per Possession 1.13 0.88
            Assists per 100 Possessions 25.0 19.4
            Assists / FG Made % 65.38% 61.90%
            Assist to Turnover Ratio 2.13 1.00
            Turnovers per 100 Possessions
            (< better)
            11.8 19.4
            Opponent Defensive Rebounds 28 28
            Offensive Rebound Efficiency % 42.9% 22.2%
            Effective FG % 44.4% 42.6%
            Effective FG% Difference (team - Opp.) 1.8% -1.8%
            FGA % Diff ((team FGA - Opp. FGA) / Opp. FGA) 31.5% -23.9%

Comment

• Austin Webb Sighting #1

I have only been able to find highlights of his games this year. They are having a great season and are close to the top of their conference.
              Austin was injured early in the season and is wearing a leg brace from thigh to shin, but he is still very effective. Great shooter, aggressive player who can finish at the rim, but is very unselfish. Started out as a post player early in his career, so he is comfortable with his back to the basket too.

On target to be valedictorian of his class.

Of the current players, he reminds me most of Will Yoakum, and like Will, Austin will need to get stronger for the college game.
              ???????Another gym rat who is always putting in extra time to improve his game. Future is bright for him.

???????--------------------------------------------
              Another signee, Aiden Satterfield, has just started practicing for the start of the WV season in March. I can't wait to see how much he has progressed since his junior year.

Comment

• FYI
                Unconfirmed rumor is that a 6-10 player from Japan is considering WLU. His is strong, without an ounce of fat. His parents work for Toyota. He a great 3 point shooter now, but is constantly improving. Holds school record for consecutive free throws made, so you would not want to foul him. But he needs to work on improving his mobility.

But he would placate the folks who think we need a big on the WLU team.

Where Americans say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", the Japanese philosophy is, "If it is not perfect, improve it."

So I expect him to continuously improve his game.
                Purportedly, he plans on announcing his decision by the first of April.

Name is Koofor-san (don't know his first name)

I found some highlights.
                https://autojosh.com/toyotas-basketb...oting-contest/

Comment

FYI
                  Unconfirmed rumor is that a 6-10 player from Japan is considering WLU. His is strong, without an ounce of fat. His parents work for Toyota. He a great 3 point shooter now, but is constantly improving. Holds school record for consecutive free throws made, so you would not want to foul him. But he needs to work on improving his mobility.

But he would placate the folks who think we need a big on the WLU team.

Where Americans say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", the Japanese philosophy is, "If it is not perfect, improve it."

So I expect him to continuously improve his game.
                  Purportedly, he plans on announcing his decision by the first of April.

Name is Koofor-san (don't know his first name)

I found some highlights.
                  https://autojosh.com/toyotas-basketb...oting-contest/
                  Indeed, mobility seems to be the Achilles heel. Can't argue with the accuracy. And he has an incredibly repeatable motion--no wasted movements there!

Comment

• Absolute massacre tonight, getting hot right before the tourney

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                      Absolute massacre tonight, getting hot right before the tourney
                      DESTROYED Fairmont 126-96. WLU claims the MEC North crown!

Comment

• We were wrong, IUPalum. Will Yoakum was seen on crutches at tonight's game.

Comment

DESTROYED Fairmont 126-96. WLU claims the MEC North crown!
                          Still three losses in that High School league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                            We were wrong, IUPalum. Will Yoakum was seen on crutches at tonight's game.
                            That's worse than what I was thinking then. I was just thinking holding him out for precaution.

Comment

• Quiz:
                              you are a top 25 team.
                              You have the following stats:
                              48% FG, 41% three FG, 91% FT, 12 turnovers, 15 assists and 7 steals.

Do you win by:
                              a) 12
                              b) 20
                              c) 30
                              d). Other

if you answered c, you are incorrect.

The correct answer is YOU LOSE BY THIRTY!

That is, when you are playing against WLU basketball, composed of elite athletes playing unselfishly at 100% effort.

That was a 40 minute display of the highest level of basketball against a top 25 opponent that i have ever seen.

Even if you follow another team, it might be enjoyable to watch on mountaineast.tv replay.

Comment

Quiz:
                                you are a top 25 team.
                                You have the following stats:
                                48% FG, 41% three FG, 91% FT, 12 turnovers, 15 assists and 7 steals.

Do you win by:
                                a) 12
                                b) 20
                                c) 30
                                d). Other

if you answered c, you are incorrect.

The correct answer is YOU LOSE BY THIRTY!

That is, when you are playing against WLU basketball, composed of elite athletes playing unselfishly at 100% effort.

That was a 40 minute display of the highest level of basketball against a top 25 opponent that i have ever seen.

Even if you follow another team, it might be enjoyable to watch on mountaineast.tv replay.

Close to perfect example of the WLU style of play...crisp passing to find the open man who takes and makes the 3...moving inside and taking/making the intermediate jumper...driving and kicking out to an open player...and when appropriate, finishing at the rim. Trading 2s for 3s...constant harassing pressure

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X