Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI
    olsh plays portage at 630 tonight in piaa semis.
    Dante Spadafora is PG recruit.

olshathletics.org

Comment

• Leading 39-37 in 3rd quarter, olsh starts pressing and defeats portage 75-50.
      Dante hit 13 fts for a total of 15 points. Next is finals in Hershey on Friday afternoon.

Comment

• Coach Howlett emphasizes how important it is for players to move without the ball and for the ball not to stick...
        When WLU players internalize that philosophy, then they will play like this (and contend for a national championship)
        see the video of the offensive possession in the tweet below:
        https://twitter.com/i/status/1375271694793850882

Comment

• Fyi olsh chargers with dante spadafora defeated philly city league power Constitution 62-49 to win 2a state title

Comment

• Conley hit portal

Comment

• WLU was definitely seeded too low. They were much better than Flagler and Truman. At 7-0 I already had a good feeling NW would win. Congrats again on a great season

Comment

• Comment

• Just my opinion here, but WLU needs to develop a "secondary" style. Seems like almost every season ends when we face a team that can handle what we do. In those games, it seems like our only answer is trying to fight our way through hoping the other team will succumb. Problem is, good teams that have our number rarely crack. Given how we beat teams by often large numbers in the regular season, we would have plenty of opportunities to "practice" this secondary style during games. Sure, we may not score 125 points and win by 40 points, but beating a team by 20 and scoring "only" 95 points while we hone a secondary style is still a W and could benefit us when very good teams figure us out come tourney time.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Just my opinion here, but WLU needs to develop a "secondary" style. Seems like almost every season ends when we face a team that can handle what we do. In those games, it seems like our only answer is trying to fight our way through hoping the other team will succumb. Problem is, good teams that have our number rarely crack. Given how we beat teams by often large numbers in the regular season, we would have plenty of opportunities to "practice" this secondary style during games. Sure, we may not score 125 points and win by 40 points, but beating a team by 20 and scoring "only" 95 points while we hone a secondary style is still a W and could benefit us when very good teams figure us out come tourney time.
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nca...-college%3Famp

Comment

• There are many types of press styles that WLU could incorporate beyond the match up trap we utalize almost all the time just as there are many types 1/2 court defense beyond the man/man we almost exclusively use. Same in the offensive end, there are many types/styles of 1/2 court offense that have proven very succcessful over the years. Many of them are high ball and player movement that would keep the pressure on the defenders almost as well as what we currently run on almost every 1/2 court set. I know with Cedric Harris back a number of years, we ran a good amount of drive and kick...still remember him driving down the lane, pulling the D to him then kicking outside to Segar or another Topper at the 3 line for uncontested shots...then when the D stopped colapsing and defended the 3, him finishing at the rim

Point is that as we play deeper in tourneys, we face teams that are just better than who we might play in-conf and OOC during the regular season. These teams are better able to match what we do offensively and defensively. Because of that, I think we need a practiced alternative "style" that we can use when the opponent is consistenlty beating our tried and true press, has figured out how to defend our regular offensive set (or our 3 shots aren't falling) and they are slowly creaping their lead from 10 to 15 and perhaps 20.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

There are many types of press styles that WLU could incorporate beyond the match up trap we utalize almost all the time just as there are many types 1/2 court defense beyond the man/man we almost exclusively use. Same in the offensive end, there are many types/styles of 1/2 court offense that have proven very succcessful over the years...
                          Just as there are myriad defenses and offenses, there are corresponding vulnerabilities to each of them. It takes time to play any style well. For example, a player does not master the syracuse zone defense in one year. Practice time is limited; whatever style one chooses, one must play it well, which takes time.

The kick out pass for a three is a fundamental tactic of all inside attacks that collapse the defense; it is not a unique style per se.

I trust in the judgment of the coaches. i am not ashamed to admit that they know far more about the game than i do.

Comment

• FYI
                            highlights of olsh victory state finals.
                            Dante was battling plantar fasciitis, which is debilitating in its pain.
                            Amazing that he even played; to have dominated the game was unbelievable!

What a warrior!

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202103260141

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Just as there are myriad defenses and offenses, there are corresponding vulnerabilities to each of them. It takes time to play any style well. For example, a player does not master the syracuse zone defense in one year. Practice time is limited; whatever style one chooses, one must play it well, which takes time.

The kick out pass for a three is a fundamental tactic of all inside attacks that collapse the defense; it is not a unique style per se.

I trust in the judgment of the coaches. i am not ashamed to admit that they know far more about the game than i do.
                              I think our players and coaches are smart enough to play two styles, particularly if they are complimentary. I'm not talking about a complete level of mastery like our primary style. I'm talking about a level of competency that allows us to at least have something to try when the other team has the ability to shut our primary style. When your only option when faced with an opponent who can handle your pressure and is keeping your scoring in check is to "try harder," there's a pretty good chance you are going to come up short.

Comment

• The big issue is there was a D1 team in the D2 tournament this year. Three straight complete blowout wins in the E8 -- the later two down a key rotation guy. That's just sick.

If that whole team comes back next year and they add some more ... everybody else is already just playing for second next year.

You guys just ran into the one team you had no chance to beat. I think WL probably beats the other six in the E8 this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X