Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    WOW...If I were the coach and I had players that weren't following my instructions, they would be getting a large amount of game time sitting next to me while I "explained" the importance of playing the way I wanted them to play and how further inability to grasp the importance of team play might result in them playing on another team.

--- copied from vc transfer thread ---------------------------------
    That is certainly one approach. The risk is that one wins the battle, but loses the war.
    Almost every coach is probably facing this challenge. I have heard Huggins complain that they are not running the plays he calls or doing what they practice. He realizes that an autocratic approach could result in 6 guys in the portal.

The players had good intentions. I think it takes a while for elite players, who are driven to win, to resist the temptation to take matters into their own hands. What if you had gotten very high accolades, and had been successful playing against pro and D1 players in the summer, are now facing some flunkie who can't hold a candle to you? You might see that trying to split two defenders is no big deal. Except you go stumbling, bumbling as a result of a no-call and turn the ball over. Or you mistakenly believe that you can finish in the low post against 3 guys and it is a higher percentage shot than kicking it out for an open three. In a system that allows players the freedom to make decisions, they were making decisions that did not maximize the team's chances of winning.

In the 3 losses, the WLU PPP was between 1.00 and 1.09, which is very good for a D1 team, for WLU was playing D1 style ball. But it is not good enough to win a high % of games against hot-shooting D2 teams that present matchup issues for WLU. WLU needs to be in the 1.25 PPP range.

Sometimes experience is the best teacher. I think the Coach showed long-term thinking and great leadership in having a meeting to get buy in after the three losses. According to his interview (think it was on sportline on wvmetronews.com), he told them that if we revert to WLU basketball, we can win most of our remaining games. If we keep playing the way we have these last 3 games, we stand a good chance of not making the NCAA tournament. It worked.

Some great leaders have the same approach. Some quotes follow (google Eisenhower quotes and Patton Quotes and there are some gems).

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gen. George Patton

Comment

• Wlu finishes #8 in final poll. Three MEC teams in top 25

D2SIDA Men's Top 25 (Final - 3/31)
      1. Northwest Missouri State (16) (28-2)
      2. West Texas A&M (19-3)
      3. Lincoln Memorial (19-4)
      4. Flagler (18-3)
      5. Northern State (19-2)
      6. Truman State (20-3)
      7. Colorado School of Mines (18-3)
      8. West Liberty State (18-5)
      9. Daemen (10-6)
      10. Hillsdale (21-3)
      11. Lubbock Christian (18-3)
      12. Alabama-Huntsville (15-4)
      13. St. Thomas Aquinas (14-2)
      14. Colorado Mesa (21-2)
      15. Michigan Tech (15-8)
      16. Washburn (20-7)
      17. Lee (15-6)
      18. Northwest Nazarene (13-5)
      19. Dallas Baptist (17-5)
      20. Charleston (14-3)
      21. Belmont Abbey (18-5)
      22. Emmanuel (17-7)
      23. Mercyhurst (12-1)
      24. Valdosta State (17-5)
      25. Fairmont State (15-5)

Comment

• FYI
        West Liberty Players mentioned 24 times in the top 50 nationally in various individual statistics

Top 50 Nationally in Individual Statistics 2020-2021 Season
        Stat Player Rank Value Notes
        Assist to Turnover Ratio Luke Dyer 4 3.39 All ranked higher played < 15 games; luke played 23 games and lower FG % affected stats
        Three-Point Field Goal Made Dalton Bolon 6 68
        Total Field Goal Attempts Dalton Bolon 7 334
        Total Steals Luke Dyer 7 51
        Three-Point Field Goal Attempts Dalton Bolon 10 133
        Total Points Dalton Bolon 10 490
        Total Field Goal Made Dalton Bolon 10 171 tie
        Total Field Goal Made Patrick Robinson III 10 171 tie
        Double Doubles Dalton Bolon 19 7 tie
        Steals Per Game Luke Dyer 19 2.22
        Three-Point Field Goal Percentage Dalton Bolon 21 44.44
        Total Rebounds Dalton Bolon 21 176
        Points Per Game Dalton Bolon 24 21.3
        Free Throw Percentage Dalton Bolon 25 89.89
        Three-Point Field Goals Per Game Dalton Bolon 25 2.96
        Free Throw Attempts Patrick Robinson III 25 118
        Free Throw Made Patrick Robinson III 25 90 tie
        Total Assists Luke Dyer 28 95
        Total Blocks Marlon Moore, Jr. 38 24 tie
        Total Rebounds Marlon Moore, Jr. 41 161
        Points Per Game Patrick Robinson III 41 20.4
        Free Throw Made Dalton Bolon 45 80
        Total Points Patrick Robinson III 49 469 tie
        Total Field Goal Attempts Patrick Robinson III 50 319 tie
        Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM. Reason: corrected player name

Comment

• Assuming worst case: existing players in portal do indeed transfer and no seniors return to WLU, who do you think will be in the two platoons?
          I would guess that several starting spots would be obvious, Here is one guess in no particular order:

Platoon A

Robinson III
          Yoakum
          Butler
          Watson
          McKinney

Platoon B

Sarson
          Rasile
          Powell or Hiles
          Spadafora
          Satterfield

Redshirt maybe to get stronger, ala Yoakum?
          Webb?

Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-12-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Assuming worst case: existing players in portal do indeed transfer and no seniors return to WLU, who do you think will be in the two platoons?
            I would guess that several starting spots would be obvious, Here is one guess in no particular order:

Platoon A

Robinson III
            Yoakum
            Butler
            Watson
            McKinney

Platoon B

Sarson
            Rasile
            Powell or Hiles
            Spadafora
            Satterfield

Webb?

Did your PG say he wasn't coming back? I must have missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Did your PG say he wasn't coming back? I must have missed it.
              No announcement other than Dalton from among seniors. I was just assuming the worst case scenario that no seniors return. Hope Marlon and Luke decide to return. They could teach the younger players a lot,
              Impressed that Dalton does not care about individual accolades. He would have become #1 in career scoring by game 5 next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

No announcement other than Dalton from among seniors. I was just assuming the worst case scenario that no seniors return. Hope Marlon and Luke decide to return. They could teach the younger players a lot,
                Impressed that Dalton does not care about individual accolades. He would have become #1 in career scoring by game 5 next season.
                Add Yoakum to the worst case list. I don't see him leaving but this year was his 4th in the program and in college so, it is a possibility.

Comment

• Quincy F Viktor Kova?evi? and Walsh G Christian Montague are transferring to West Lib. Both have good stats. Walsh plays great defense so Montague can play on the defensive end as well.

Comment

• Bolon to College of Charleston

Comment

• Comment

• Don't know if we have ever had a true Euro. Think we have a couple of players from Australia.

Comment

• Christian made GMAC 2nd team all conference; he played for ohio power Dayton Chaminade.
                          From his highlights, his style is similar to malik. He was a pg at walsh

Montague averaged 13.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.3 steals (T-7th in G-MAC) per game while shooting .406 overall from the floor. The Dayton, Ohio native made 33.3% of his three point tries and knocked down 77.8% of his free throw attempts. For the season, Montague had 11 (out of 16 games) double-figure scoring games, including four 20+ point contests. When Montague had six steals against Lake Erie on February 28th, he set the second-highest mark of all conference players this season.

Here are some highlights

https://twitter.com/i/status/1256739453839835136

???????

Comment

• Viktor only played one year in high school. Smart guy and computer science major at quincy.
                            last year shot 56% fg, 48.5% from three and 67% FT. 2nd leading scorer at 15.3 And played 30 mins a game.
                            Euro players have the complete fundamental skill set that makes them a good match for wlu.
                            He played in a slow, deliberate style at quincy, so this may be liberating for him.
                            if so, he could be a matchup nightmare at 6-8.
                            I would love to see wlu establish a pipeline to Eastern Europe.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-13-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Since Montague was injured his first two years, I think he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. Was listed as RS sophomore at walsh

Comment

• Well the roster changes present interesting fodder for conjecture on the platoons
                                Given we got a pg transfer, does that mean Luke is retiring?

Platoon A

Robinson III
                                Yoakum
                                Butler
                                Watson
                                McKinney

Platoon B

Moore, Jr. ( assuming he returns)
                                Sarson
                                Rasile/Powell/Hiles
                                kovacevic
                                montague

Webb?
                                Satterfield?
                                Spadafora?

Imho those are two+ starting fives.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X