Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I feel pretty good about WLU through their starting 5. Much will depend on their depth. If French can perform the way we started seeing from him the season before last and Primmer is able to step up and score close to 10 per game, we should be OK. I'm a bit confused by Primmer...from a shooting and all around game stand point, he seems to be a prototypical WLU "guy"...Shoots .400+ from 3...good FT shooter...can handle the ball...etc. But for some reason, he's just never gotten consistent minutes.

Biggest question in most peoples mind is probably weather Howlett is up to replacing Crutch as the head man. I'm not terribly concerned about that. Unless you believe there is only one coach in the nation that can run the WLU style, Howlett is probably the person that is in the best position to continue WLU's successful run. Probably the biggest question I have about Howlett is how his stamp on the game will differ from Crutch's. Yea...he's going to run the WLU style that he learned from Crutch, but he is a different guy who is probably going to manage a game a little differently.
    At times, last year crutch utilized whole lineup substitutions, which said much about his confidence in his depth. Be interesting to see if howlett continues that trend or is more surgical in his subs with one or two guys. If Allen gets on board quickly along with the folks you mentioned they might have the depth to do mass subs. Anyone heard how dyer and bolon are doing?

Comment

Don't know about Bolon and Dyer but the roster has Bolon an inch taller and 20 lbs heavier and has Dyer 15 lbs heavier. If those #'s are accurate then it indicates they have at least spent time in the weight room! If Howlett continues to run the season the way Crutch did, both will get ample opportunity early in the season to show if they are up to the task. If they perform, they will stay in the main rotation but even if they are not quite ready, they may still get heavy minutes due to our depth problems. They came into WLU with plenty of scoring ability...It will be interesting to see of that translates over from HS to college.

Comment

Wheeling Jesuit is going to be very good. Tham was a really big loss for them -- maybe not glaring on the stat sheet but he is a nice D2 player and gave them some nice muscle underneath.

Pat Moseh and Hayward Highsmith may be the best 1-2 punch in the country this year. Boswell and Goddard are solid. It appears they brought in some size.

I'd probably rank them No. 1 in the Atlantic Region in the preseason (slightly ahead of Shippensburg) followed closely by the other usual suspects.

I know Fairmont lost a ton of talent but that cupboard isn't bare. What's the outlook down there?

Comment

I feel pretty good about WLU through their starting 5. Much will depend on their depth. If French can perform the way we started seeing from him the season before last and Primmer is able to step up and score close to 10 per game, we should be OK. I'm a bit confused by Primmer...from a shooting and all around game stand point, he seems to be a prototypical WLU "guy"...Shoots .400+ from 3...good FT shooter...can handle the ball...etc. But for some reason, he's just never gotten consistent minutes.

Biggest question in most peoples mind is probably weather Howlett is up to replacing Crutch as the head man. I'm not terribly concerned about that. Unless you believe there is only one coach in the nation that can run the WLU style, Howlett is probably the person that is in the best position to continue WLU's successful run. Probably the biggest question I have about Howlett is how his stamp on the game will differ from Crutch's. Yea...he's going to run the WLU style that he learned from Crutch, but he is a different guy who is probably going to manage a game a little differently.
          Crutch had a great way of quickly righting the ship during a game with a great shot or layup after a time out, also subbing patterns and knowing when to call time out. Sign of experienced, great coach. Often made the difference in a w or l. Asking a lot for a 30 yr old to match that on day 1. Hope we are patient with ben until he gains experience. Know he has the smarts.

Comment

My worry is will the players slack off with him since he is so young and how will he handle it. Recruiting wise and bench game calling I think he will be find. I've heard nothing but good things about Bolon and how he has handled being redshirted and he is a much improved player. Just hope all the commitments show up next month, at least the ones not there now!

Comment

That's going to be his biggest challenge. Going from the 'one of the guys' assistant to being the head man is a big role change. Most assistants are the friendly buffer between player and head coach. Was Crutch the strict type or more players' coach?

You guys have pretty high character players. I don't see it being a big issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                My worry is will the players slack off with him since he is so young and how will he handle it. Recruiting wise and bench game calling I think he will be find. I've heard nothing but good things about Bolon and how he has handled being redshirted and he is a much improved player. Just hope all the commitments show up next month, at least the ones not there now!
                I am a bolon fan. At Ohio all star game in May 2016 he switched off guarding guillozet and lined up at the start of 2nd half against Seth Townes who was 5 inches taller and dominant player on court. Really impressed me to want to take on the challenge.

I hope that the balance of west lib might reduce risk of slackers. Don't hustle then next man up. I can't see Monterosa and Arnold putting up with slackers.
                They are intense imho.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  That's going to be his biggest challenge. Going from the 'one of the guys' assistant to being the head man is a big role change. Most assistants are the friendly buffer between player and head coach. Was Crutch the strict type or more players' coach?

You guys have pretty high character players. I don't see it being a big issue.
                  Seems like to a man Crutch's former players love him. You find a very occasional former player who seems to not have liked him because Crutch didn't recognize the players "greatness" but you can count those guys on less than one hand.

Comment

Re: Chucky Humphrey alert
                    He has landed at another JR college in PA - Harcum JC in Bryn Mawr, PA.
                    His coach at Polk retired. he average 9 pts a game at Polk.
                    Does he still have the dream of D1?

Comment

For a time it sounded like he was headed to Clarion. He must or he missed the window by holding out and scholarships filled up at the D2 schools he possibly wanted to attend.

He's delusional if he wants to play underneath in D1. He'd be eaten alive. He's in the strange range. Too small to play under the basket (even in D2) but not a true guard. I never bought his listed height, either.

He can play ... Just not sure what position would fit him best. I'd be shocked if he's not somewhere in the PSAC next (18-19) season.

I don't get too excited over JUCO stats. That's glorified playground ball with very little structure. He also played with a legit D1 teammate who liked to shoot about 300 times a game.

Comment

My view of juco matches yours. In terms of stats I got the impression Chucky did not improve at Polk even ignoring a meager 9 pt per game average.

Comment

Wonder if Chucky is still listening to the people who whispered D1 fantasies in his ear? Had the chance to be heading into his second season on a pretty good WLU team that probably would have found a way to use his talents to their max. Instead he will be spending his season on his second JUCO team.

This should be a required story for all HS recruits and anyone who thinks they are giving good advice to "their guy."

Comment

Wonder if Chucky is still listening to the people who whispered D1 fantasies in his ear? Had the chance to be heading into his second season on a pretty good WLU team that probably would have found a way to use his talents to their max. Instead he will be spending his season on his second JUCO team.

This should be a required story for all HS recruits and anyone who thinks they are giving good advice to "their guy."
                            Humphries went to Polk State for a reason..... but I don't think the driving force was to get a D1 scholly.

Comment

Originally posted by DownLow55 View Post
                              Humphries went to Polk State for a reason..... but I don't think the driving force was to get a D1 scholly.
                              Hmm...maybe they have great history courses in the study of famous dead presidents that was of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                                Hmm...maybe they have great history courses in the study of famous dead presidents that was of interest?
                                The reason is contained somewhat in your humor (I think it was humorous)... but why do most athletes go the JC route?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X