Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points. And Elijah Watson was alpha platoon as a true freshman. When I look at this roster, everyone seems capable of contributing on day 1. Redshirts may occur, but the primary reason may be insuffient minutes for everyone, more than adjusting to level of competition.
    I left Watson out as a freshman success because he seemed to be with the first platoon primarily to take the opening jump ball. 11 games he scored 2 or fewer points and only once did he score in double digits (10 points). For an 11 game stretch mid season his minutes went up into double digits but his stat line didn't improve.

That said, he did show some potential as a rebounder and shot blocker. It's been said that the biggest improvement for a college player comes between their freshman and sophmore season. Watson needs to hit the weights and put on about 15 pounds, shoot a ton of free throws and improve his FT shooting percentage by at least .150 and improve his inside shooting to at least .550.

What I thought of the most when I watched Watson play was "out of control." Probably attribute that to youthful enthusiasm and it will mellow with age. I hope so because he has the tools to be very impactful inside and can run the court with the best of them. Don't think he will ever be a 3 point shooter and that will probably limit his minutes at WLU.

With some obvious differences, I kind of see Watson's potential career arc being like Meininger. His first on-court season you saw a player that was trying to figure it out and were he fit into WLU. His stat line wasn't terribly impressive but you saw some flashes of what he could become. He hit the off season practice court HARD and every season, you say an across the board improvement. Watson has the ability to follow a similar arc if he puts in the off season work.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-13-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I left Watson out as a freshman success because he seemed to be with the first platoon primarily to take the opening jump ball. 11 games he scored 2 or fewer points and only once did he score in double digits (10 points). For an 11 game stretch mid season his minutes went up into double digits but his stat line didn't improve.

That said, he did show some potential as a rebounder and shot blocker. It's been said that the biggest improvement for a college player comes between their freshman and sophmore season. Watson needs to hit the weights and put on about 15 pounds, shoot a ton of free throws and improve his FT shooting percentage by at least .150 and improve his inside shooting to at least .550.

What I thought of the most when I watched Watson play was "out of control." Probably attribute that to youthful enthusiasm and it will mellow with age. I hope so because he has the tools to be very impactful inside and can run the court with the best of them. Don't think he will ever be a 3 point shooter and that will probably limit his minutes at WLU.

With some obvious differences, I kind of see Watson's potential career arc being like Meininger. His first on-court season you saw a player that was trying to figure it out and were he fit into WLU. His stat line wasn't terribly impressive but you saw some flashes of what he could become. He hit the off season practice court HARD and every season, you say an across the board improvement. Watson has the ability to follow a similar arc if he puts in the off season work.
      Elijah is an unselfish, intelligent player. He deferred the scoring to Patrick, Dalton, etc. IMHO It is a huge step up for a big to play as a true freshman compared to a guard, and on occasion it showed. Foul trouble affected his minutes.

His youth showed against the grown men who were juniors and seniors. He had an outstanding offensive rebounding % at over 10%, just behind Marlon Moore Jr. and very good block % of 2.5%. Shooting is a work in progress. Malik went from 29% at Seton Hill to over 40% threes his first year at wlu by correcting his mechanics so dramatic improvement is possible.

I think you will be surprised by his growth in skills and strength this year. We saw a few glimpses last year.
      Hopefully Marlon mentors him on his outstanding defensive techniques.

Comment

Elijah is an unselfish, intelligent player. He deferred the scoring to Patrick, Dalton, etc. IMHO It is a huge step up for a big to play as a true freshman compared to a guard, and on occasion it showed. Foul trouble affected his minutes.

His youth showed against the grown men who were juniors and seniors. He had an outstanding offensive rebounding % at over 10%, just behind Marlon Moore Jr. and very good block % of 2.5%. Shooting is a work in progress. Malik went from 29% at Seton Hill to over 40% threes his first year at wlu by correcting his mechanics so dramatic improvement is possible.

I think you will be surprised by his growth in skills and strength this year. We saw a few glimpses last year.
        Hopefully Marlon mentors him on his outstanding defensive techniques.
        I agree. He showed flashes and has the potential to be a good (very good?) WLU player if he puts in the off season work. Just didn't think you could look at his freshman body of work and call him a "freshman success."

Comment

I agree. He showed flashes and has the potential to be a good (very good?) WLU player if he puts in the off season work. Just didn't think you could look at his freshman body of work and call him a "freshman success."
          I just had a much lower bar - if you don't redshirt that is a big accomplishment for a freshman, for Dalton, Luke, Eric, and Will all redshirted. Of course, need plays a role as much as readiness to play in the redshirt decision.
          Don't envy coaches' redshirt decisions this year. The payoff for redshirting is their senior year. But we don't know impact of the transfer portal on redshirting decisions.

Hmm, 15 ready players = 3 platoons? LOL

Comment

• Coach Howlett preaches about not letting the ball stick. The video below is Seger Bonifant's team in the Akron Canton pro am league showing how it is done to break down a defense. All wlu players should watch and aspire to this level of play in order to beat NWMSU.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1405932060993376256

Comment

I just had a much lower bar - if you don't redshirt that is a big accomplishment for a freshman, for Dalton, Luke, Eric, and Will all redshirted. Of course, need plays a role as much as readiness to play in the redshirt decision.
              Don't envy coaches' redshirt decisions this year. The payoff for redshirting is their senior year. But we don't know impact of the transfer portal on redshirting decisions.

Hmm, 15 ready players = 3 platoons? LOL
              Fair enough. I just put the bar higher.

3 platoons is REALLY scary for opponents! You weather the first two...then an entire third team of fresh gifted players come out on the court! Imagine a "third platoon" of Sarson, Hiles, Denbow, Kovacevic and Webb. I remember UNC doing similar back in the Dean Smith days. He'd bring in a 3rd team with instructions to amp up the defense to 11 and run, run, run. They would only play for a couple of minutes but by the end of that time, the other team was completely out of gas...Then Dean would bring back his starting 5 and cut their hearts out.

Comment

Fair enough. I just put the bar higher.

3 platoons is REALLY scary for opponents! You weather the first two...then an entire third team of fresh gifted players come out on the court! Imagine a "third platoon" of Sarson, Hiles, Denbow, Kovacevic and Webb. I remember UNC doing similar back in the Dean Smith days. He'd bring in a 3rd team with instructions to amp up the defense to 11 and run, run, run. They would only play for a couple of minutes but by the end of that time, the other team was completely out of gas...Then Dean would bring back his starting 5 and cut their hearts out.
                That is an interesting concept! Not sure of the platoon members. The advantage of that limited minutes approach is that it does not take significant minutes away from Patrick and Will and Viktor (who could be a big surprise). I just can't imagine trying to guard them when my legs are heavy with fatigue. Dante could wear guards out for Patrick, for he is a cross between the Energizer Bunny and Roadrunner! Lol

Comment

That is an interesting concept! Not sure of the platoon members. The advantage of that limited minutes approach is that it does not take significant minutes away from Patrick and Will and Viktor (who could be a big surprise). I just can't imagine trying to guard them when my legs are heavy with fatigue. Dante could wear guards out for Patrick, for he is a cross between the Energizer Bunny and Roadrunner! Lol
                  The particular players were just notional and provided to give an idea of the quality. Also helped UNC that this group operated a completely different style than the "normal" first and second team units...In the words of Monty Python, "Now for somthing completely different!" Since WLU plays pressure the whole game anyway, only option would be to crank up the intensity to Kamakazi levels! In the offensive end, seemed like everyone was driving and kicking. I recall one play against Md when the PG flew up the court and drove, kicked out to the wing who immediately drove and kicked out to the opposite wing, who immediately drove to the basket and kicked to the PG at the top of the circle who immediately drove and kicked to the wing for a wide open jumper entire play took MAYBE 10 seconds and Md ended up with all five defensive players packed within three feet of the basket looking at each other as if saying, what the he11 just happened? Md coach called an IMMEDIATE timeout!!

Comment

• FYI
                    interesting article on new wlu players by Michael Hughes

https://ledenews.com/hilltoppers-haul-incluone that has talented players across the region and beyond seeking out West Liberty.

Comment

FYI
                      interesting article on new wlu players by Michael Hughes

https://ledenews.com/hilltoppers-haul-inclu[B]
                      "
                      I would add to Ben's quote that the goal is to get more quality possessions. I wonder what the delta is between WLU quality possessions (possesions were we score or get a quality shot minus turn overs, "forced" shots and offensive fouls) and opponent quality possessions? Given WLUs ability to force turn overs/violations and not turn the ball over ourselves, I would imagine that number would be large.
                      Last edited by boatcapt; 07-16-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I would add to Ben's quote that the goal is to get more quality possessions. I wonder what the delta is between WLU quality possessions (possesions were we score or get a quality shot minus turn overs, "forced" shots and offensive fouls) and opponent quality possessions? Given WLUs ability to force turn overs/violations and not turn the ball over ourselves, I would imagine that number would be large.
                        Good point. Would be interested to hear what other folks think are important factors in getting a quality possession.

IMHO A quality possession is one in which the shot closely mimics a warmup practice shot (on balance, good follow through, layup, jump stop, etc.) AND one that is anticipated by teammates who can get in position for an offensive rebound.

1. Rapid Ball movement seems to play a role by distorting a defense, which results in late close outs of shooters, resulting in an open look or getting a rim run. For example, if Patrick or Will gets an open look, the shot is going up so teammates can crash the boards early and get in rebounding position. If one watches Dalton when his teammates shoot, he anticipates the shot and crashes the boards before the shot is released, thus getting inside position in the most likely location for the rebound (e.g., high % of missed corner shots bounce toward opposite corner).
                        Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-17-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Comment

• All good stats but my point was getting MORE quality possessions through defense. If we get 10 more quality possessions per game than our opponents through our defense, and convert on just 50% of those, that's 10-15 "extra" points per game which is almost impossible to overcome.

Comment

• Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-18-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Tactics for increasing opponent fatigue - comments welcome

Minimizing frequency and duration of opponent rest periods and maximizing uninterrupted duration of anaerobic activity (e.g., sprints) without even short rest breaks is key to building up residual oxygen debt and lactic acid buildup ("heavy legs") in well conditioned athletes.

One can see it in opponents after half time. Opponent plays fast for about the first 5 mins and then fades, for the threshold of fatigue onset is lower, due to the incomplete muscle recovery from the first half.

How can wlu increase the rate of return on investment of the incredible effort wlu expends in pressuring opponents?

Some ideas in no particular order -

1. Don't let opponent rest on offense by letting the ball stick. Rapid ball movement and movement without ball does not allow players to rest. Excessive dribbling allows 4 opponents not guarding the ball to rest on defense.

2. Minimize time between wlu committing a foul and the resumption of play. Don't talk to refs. Just get the ball asap to ref and get in position for the free throw or out of bounds play. Never saw a ref change a call based on your words so it is a waste of time. Stay in the moment.

3. On wlu score don't let ball roll around before opponent starts in bounds play. Ask ref asap if u can pick up the ball and pass it to ref. Opponent is buying time by not getting the ball.

4. when wiping up sweat off the floor, the floor crew should move like a Nascar pit crew during a pit stop rather than senior citizens tending a garden. Time them and give them free food and recognition as rewards for beating time objectives.

5. opponents have only 10 secs to shoot a free throw. Asrc fans should start counting when player receives ball, to distract shooter rhythm if nothing else.

6. I heard that media timeout may now coincide with first time out before its scheduled time. If true, one could call time out 5 seconds into the second half, which would eliminate the under 16:00 media timeout. This could provide at least 7:55 minutes of pressure before getting media time out and might force opponent to use time outs early.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 07-19-2021, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X