Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Yep. Should have included him even though pg is a special case. Luke leaves big shoes to fill. PG is a special case for they are naturally required to dribble and hold the ball more when guys are not spaced properly. His assists often come after the rapid ball reversal pass back to him at the top of the offense. He relies on his teammates to not let the ball stick, else it limits his ability to get the ball to the guy who is open due to distortion of the defensive spacing.
    Dyer was much like having a coach on the court. He excelled at calling the right play, making the right first pass to the right person at the right time and then becoming a part of the offense. While we have a couple of players who could take over his PG duties, probably none will be as "heady" playing the position. Hopefully one will grow into that "court general' role, but at least early in the season, PG play will probably suffer.

Comment

• From watching video of Cmont Montague at Walsh, he is an intelligent PG who can also score, as well as a shutdown defender. He will increase our defensive pressure. He may at least share the pg duties. But Luke also did so much that did not show up in the box score, which will be hard to replace.

Comment

From watching video of Cmont Montague at Walsh, he is an intelligent PG who can also score, as well as a shutdown defender. He will increase our defensive pressure. He may at least share the pg duties. But Luke also did so much that did not show up in the box score, which will be hard to replace.
        Montague may put up more measurable numbers, but he will be hard pressed to equal Dyers "unmeasurables." Dyer's defense was outstanding. He was cat quick but what seemed more important was that he knew were the dribbler was supposed to pass and was able to jump the lane. Also his unselfishness in the offensive end. SO very rare when you have a really good stroke like he had. Career .408 from beyond the arc who could have been a consistent 20 point scorer if he called his own number. He didn't shoot a lot but when he did it was almost always a dagger at a critical moment.

Comment

• What players, past or present, have a patented offensive or defensive technique that you wish they could teach to future players?

Luke Dyer had several, but one of my favorites was the "Big Man Ball Strip".
          It often occurred when an opponent was near the goal with good position for a near-certain score. As he brings the ball down to initiate the upward explosive jump to score, Luke leaves his man to provide help defense and cleanly strips the ball, generating a turnover and a loss of a near-certain 2 points for the opponent.
          If an opponent averages1.0 ppp, a turnover typically results in a loss of 1 point. But in this case, Luke prevented a near certain score, so the cost of the turnover is more like 1.8 points. In some games, Luke has stripped the ball 3 times, costing the opponent nearly 6 points! See Hillsdale game for some examples.

There is so much high IQ basketball in this move.
          1. He gets in great position to strip the ball without reaching across the defender, thus avoiding hacking the forearms and the resultant foul and potential And-one play.
          2. He often grabs the ball rather than slapping, which reduces the risk of a foul.
          3. He rapidly recognizes the scoring threat before it occurs and leaves his man to get in position. He also often gets rebounds as a side effect of this move.

Comment

What players, past or present, have a patented offensive or defensive technique that you wish they could teach to future players?

Luke Dyer had several, but one of my favorites was the "Big Man Ball Strip".
            It often occurred when an opponent was near the goal with good position for a near-certain score. As he brings the ball down to initiate the upward explosive jump to score, Luke leaves his man to provide help defense and cleanly strips the ball, generating a turnover and a loss of a near-certain 2 points for the opponent.
            If an opponent averages1.0 ppp, a turnover typically results in a loss of 1 point. But in this case, Luke prevented a near certain score, so the cost of the turnover is more like 1.8 points. In some games, Luke has stripped the ball 3 times, costing the opponent nearly 6 points! See Hillsdale game for some examples.

There is so much high IQ basketball in this move.
            1. He gets in great position to strip the ball without reaching across the defender, thus avoiding hacking the forearms and the resultant foul and potential And-one play.
            2. He often grabs the ball rather than slapping, which reduces the risk of a foul.
            3. He rapidly recognizes the scoring threat before it occurs and leaves his man to get in position. He also often gets rebounds as a side effect of this move.
            Cedric Harris - SILKY smooth ball handler who excelled at the drive and kick and was a very accurate outside sniper.
            Keene Cockburn - Career utility player who in one season blossomed into a consistent shot blocker who's 99 blocked shots in 13/14 stands as the WLU record. Often overlooked in that season of blocked shots was his again unforseen skill as a rebounder. Rebounds and put backs aren't nearly as sexy as a 3 pointer or a blocked shot, but I recall Cockburn, time and time again being well positioned inside, grabbing the offensive rebound and putting it back in..
            Seger Bonifant - No more needs to be said. An outside sniper who came in as a true freshman and shot .545 from beyond the arc. Not just a spot shooter, Seger could get his own shot and was a threat anywhere on the court. Like a fine wine he got better each year.
            Last edited by boatcapt; 08-17-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Keene Cockburn - He could teach:
              1. Perserverance - after playing 17 mins. a game as a soph., his minutes dropped to 7 mins. a game as a junior, which was the same as his frosh year. But he stayed and kept improving his understanding of the game. As a result he played 25+ minutes a game as a senior.
              2. He blocked 99 shots his Sr. Season, with 10 in wheeling game alone. He could teach timing and how to redirect a blocked shot to a teammate to start a transition scoring opportunity. Too many players smack blocked shots out of bounds, thinking they are intimidating the opponent, when in fact they just committed the equivalent of a selfish turnover by not redirecting the ball to a teammate.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure it couldn't be taught, but one of the "skills" I was always most in awe of was Alex Falk's body control when finishing at the rim. He had an uncanny ability to redirect all his energy to a different finishing point after already leaving the floor. He would recognize where the block was coming from and change his body position midair to avoid the contact and get the ball up on the glass. Unbelievable. He still might be my favorite all-time Hilltopper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                  I'm pretty sure it couldn't be taught, but one of the "skills" I was always most in awe of was Alex Falk's body control when finishing at the rim. He had an uncanny ability to redirect all his energy to a different finishing point after already leaving the floor. He would recognize where the block was coming from and change his body position midair to avoid the contact and get the ball up on the glass. Unbelievable. He still might be my favorite all-time Hilltopper.
                  Good points. Alex's motor and IQ was off the charts. National player of the year. Would be interesting to study how he did it.

If I had to guess, I would suspect he saw the block coming and slightly changed the vector or angle of his jump ever so slightly as he lifted off the floor. This would enable him to change his flight vector to give him room to shift his body and gain sufficient clearance to avoid the block.

Although more relevant for avoiding charges, I once had problems stopping my forward momentum when running on a fast break and doing a jump stop in the lane. I discovered that if I landed leaning backward at a 45 degree angle on the jump stop and then exploded off the floor in that direction, it offset the forward momentum, resulting in my body being stationary and my body was perpendicular to the floor as if I had been taking an on balance, stationary jump shot. Avoided many charging calls and bad, off balance shots. Later I learned that it was just Newtonian physics.

Comment

• I wish Corey Pelle could teach his unique ability to score from behind the backboard and also facing toward the opponent's basket. He was very comfortable scoring from that unusual location. Most folks have to turn and face their goal.

At halftime at charleston civic center maybe 4 years ago, a program number was called for a half court shot for a chance to win a resort vacation.
                    this guy comes out in jeans, a lumberjack shirt and work boots. I thought "no chance" that he even comes close... he calmly walked up and let it fly... nothing but net for the win!
                    found out later it was Corey Pelle lol!
                    Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-19-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Seger Bonifant - all time d2 career leader in 3pt % at 52.5, which is incredible and much better than 46% all time leader in d1. Two-time national player of the year.

By his soph. year, he knew he had to expand his offensive game, for defenses were keying on him. Starting in his junior year, he displayed a great back to the basket inside game. It culminated in his senior year against Lincoln Memorial in the final four, where he got 44 points against a future NBA invitee, most of them inside the paint. One of the best games by two teams that I have seen.

Future players should watch replays and study his technique.
                      Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-20-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Seger Bonifant - all time d2 career leader in 3pt % at 52.5, which is incredible and much better than 46% all time leader in d1. Two-time national player of the year.

By his soph. year, he knew he had to expand his offensive game, for defenses were keying on him. Starting in his junior year, he displayed a great back to the basket inside game. It culminated in his senior year against Lincoln Memorial in the final four, where he got 44 points against a future NBA invitee, most of them inside the paint. One of the best games by two teams that I have seen.

Future players should watch replays and study his technique.
                        He must have violated coach's directions??!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          He must have violated coach's directions??!!
                          LOL. Good one.

All kidding aside, the wlu offense spreads the defense, which opens up myriad options, because the lane is not congested. It makes effective help defense problematic, for the player spacing makes it vulnerable for the kickout pass for an open three.
                          On the current team, Bryce and Marlon have great footwork in the lane and Bryce is honing that soft jump hook, ala Seger.

Comment

• Wlu roster is out.
                            Patrick has been doing some serious lifting, based on his arms.
                            Elijah looks much stronger too.
                            Viktor appears to be a legit 6-8.

Aiden Satterfield is #5.
                            May be just a coincidence, but
                            Seger #5 - all american
                            Dalton #5 - all american

Could this be starting a tradition, like wearing #44 in football at Syracuse?

Aiden is ultra talented, per Coach. Have to wait and see. Was not a guarantee of stardom at Syracuse, either.

Comment

Wlu roster is out.
                              Patrick has been doing some serious lifting, based on his arms.
                              Elijah looks much stronger too.
                              Viktor appears to be a legit 6-8.

Aiden Satterfield is #5.
                              May be just a coincidence, but
                              Seger #5 - all american
                              Dalton #5 - all american

Could this be starting a tradition, like wearing #44 in football at Syracuse?

Aiden is ultra talented, per Coach. Have to wait and see. Was not a guarantee of stardom at Syracuse, either.

Impressive in it's own right is the #3. Only worn by two players since 2009...Dave Dennis and Will Yoakum (current). Both won national All-Freshman honors.

Number factoid...WLU had no players sporting single digit uniform numbers in 2010-11. Don't see that very often if ever now days.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Impressive in it's own right is the #3. Only worn by two players since 2009...Dave Dennis and Will Yoakum (current). Both won national All-Freshman honors.

Number factoid...WLU had no players sporting single digit uniform numbers in 2010-11. Don't see that very often if ever now days.
                                Great find!
                                I continue to be impressed that we made Elite 8 without Will. Speaks volumes about team depth and interchangeability of wlu players.
                                Reasonable to think that NWMSU might have been closer, as he is near/at the top in 3 point shooting on the team.

Number factoid made me wonder about which numbers are more popular than others and how it evolves over time. Obviously 23 is quite popular, starting with jordan.

Based on NBA MVPS, here are three notable jersey numbers: 33, 6, and 13.
                                MVP Awards by number
                                No. Total MVPs Winners
                                6 8 Bill Russell (5), LeBron James (2), Julius Erving
                                13 7 Wilt Chamberlain (4), Steve Nash (2), James Harden
                                21 3 Tim Duncan (2), Kevin Garnett
                                23 7 Michael Jordan (5), LeBron James (2)
                                24 3 Moses Malone (2), Kobe Bryant
                                32 6 Magic Johnson (3), Karl Malone (2), Bill Walton
                                33 9 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (6), Larry Bird (3)
                                34 5 Giannis Antetokounmpo (2), Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon
                                41 2 Dirk Nowitzki, Wes Unseld
                                Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-24-2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X