• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI
    WLU picked to finish first in MEC

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...n-at-no-1.aspx

Comment

• FYI
      Tuesday nov 9 Tony Caridi sportsline has interview with WLU coach Ben Howlett starting at 33:50.
      Here is main podcast page.
      https://wvmetronews.com/podcast/

He talked about the difficulty of getting non conference teams to play them due to their unique style. He said he has reached out to numerous D1 schools with no success.
      D1 teams say it is a no win situation for them:
      1 no one on their d1 schedule plays the WLU style
      2 should wlu beat them, it would not be good.
      3. If they win, they are supposed to defeat d2 teams.

Comment

• Great news!
        Luke Denbow from Ashland has signed his LOI with West Liberty, joining his brother Garrett.
        is this the first brother combo playing together at wlu?

Comment

• Can you buy season tickets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
            Can you buy season tickets?
            Yes at gate on Friday. Check for approx. $65 or $55 for seniors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Yes at gate on Friday. Check for approx. $65 or $55 for seniors.
              They should give me lifetime tickets for making their broadcast graphics for free lol

Just kidding, kind of

Comment

• So it begins tomorrow with a real barn burner. WLU plays defending CIAA Champ Winston-Salem (picked #2 this year in the CIAA) followed Saturday evening with a game vs East Stroud (#2 pick in the PSAC East). Four days later, they travel to Johnstown PA to play Pitt-Johnstown who is the #3 preseason pick in the PSAC West.

So how will WLU finish its first week?

A. 3-0. Hitting on all cylanders.
                B. 2-1. Minor issues that can be cleaned up rather easily.
                C. 1-2. Didn't see that coming.
                D. 0-3. Wow...Chance at hosting the Regionals is gone and need to basically run the table to insure we even make the NCAA field.

I pick C.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  So it begins tomorrow with a real barn burner. WLU plays defending CIAA Champ Winston-Salem (picked #2 this year in the CIAA) followed Saturday evening with a game vs East Stroud (#2 pick in the PSAC East). Four days later, they travel to Johnstown PA to play Pitt-Johnstown who is the #3 preseason pick in the PSAC West.

D. 0-3. Wow...Chance at hosting the Regionals is gone and need to basically run the table to insure we even make the NCAA field.

I pick C.
                  It's a tad ironic that you're predicting that you won't see something coming. ; )

All kidding aside, I think I would lean B. I wouldn't be surprised if they run the table in the first 3; they've certainly done that before. But in other years when they've scheduled tough OOC games to start, they've sometimes picked up a loss in there that helped them reveal some things in need of cleaning up. So if I had to pick, I guess I'd lean B. But don't forget that all three opponents played 0 meaningful games last year, and the Hilltoppers went to the Elite 8. Meaning WSSU/ESU/UPJ Freshmen and Sophomores and really green, and Elijah Watson, Ben Sarson, and company got serious minutes in serious games last year. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they're clicking on all cylinders. But I'll hedge and pick B.

Comment

So it begins tomorrow with a real barn burner. WLU plays defending CIAA Champ Winston-Salem (picked #2 this year in the CIAA) followed Saturday evening with a game vs East Stroud (#2 pick in the PSAC East). Four days later, they travel to Johnstown PA to play Pitt-Johnstown who is the #3 preseason pick in the PSAC West.

I pick C.
                    I'd take 'A' or 'B'.

They'll beat both ESU and UPJ. Good teams but not great teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It's a tad ironic that you're predicting that you won't see something coming. ; )

All kidding aside, I think I would lean B. I wouldn't be surprised if they run the table in the first 3; they've certainly done that before. But in other years when they've scheduled tough OOC games to start, they've sometimes picked up a loss in there that helped them reveal some things in need of cleaning up. So if I had to pick, I guess I'd lean B. But don't forget that all three opponents played 0 meaningful games last year, and the Hilltoppers went to the Elite 8. Meaning WSSU/ESU/UPJ Freshmen and Sophomores and really green, and Elijah Watson, Ben Sarson, and company got serious minutes in serious games last year. So, it wouldn't surprise me if they're clicking on all cylinders. But I'll hedge and pick B.
                      Isn't it ironic...don't you think?

I don't have an issue with them playing a tough team in the first few games, but I'd rather it not be right out of the gate and then not THREE in a row! This has the potential to be a totally self inflicted wound in the same manner that IUP's 2017-18 1-3 start was self inflicted. Finished the rest of the regular season 21-4 and sitting on the couch come NCAA Tourney time. The opening opponent's for IUP the next two years? Concord and WVW.

Comment

Isn't it ironic...don't you think?

I don't have an issue with them playing a tough team in the first few games, but I'd rather it not be right out of the gate and then not THREE in a row! This has the potential to be a totally self inflicted wound in the same manner that IUP's 2017-18 1-3 start was self inflicted. Finished the rest of the regular season 21-4 and sitting on the couch come NCAA Tourney time. The opening opponent's for IUP the next two years? Concord and WVW.
                        Concord isn't a 'gimme' non-conference game. They aren't an elite program but usually pretty solid. They did get wins against Charleston and West Liberty last year. They've played IUP tough both trips up here. Their last full season fell apart when their big guy went back overseas in December.

I suspect they will put up a battle tomorrow night. Lot of experienced upperclassmen, good guard play and some nice size. I also think Todd May is a very good coach. They also seem to have a habit under May of winning a couple big games a year. Just hoping it doesn't happen this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Concord isn't a 'gimme' non-conference game. They aren't an elite program but usually pretty solid. They did get wins against Charleston and West Liberty last year. They've played IUP tough both trips up here. Their last full season fell apart when their big guy went back overseas in December.

I suspect they will put up a battle tomorrow night. Lot of experienced upperclassmen, good guard play and some nice size. I also think Todd May is a very good coach. They also seem to have a habit under May of winning a couple big games a year. Just hoping it doesn't happen this weekend.
                          They are a decent program, but not picked to be among the teams projected to compete for a conference championship or NCAA Tourney bid. They are in the middle of the second tier of MEC teams. If you are a good team, this is the kind of team you want to start the season with...not a tomato can, but not really a threat either. If the reports on IUP are true, this should be a pretty easy W for them.

Comment

• Comment

• Yoakum is on crutches again, sheesh

Comment

• Satterfield is not dressed

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X