X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• That was a really impressive win. This one had all the makings of a problem for WLU:

-- A disciplined slow-down team.
          -- A talented big in Kromka.
          -- A cold start shooting the basketball for WLU (couldn't hit for anything in the first 15 minutes of the game)
          -- A great press break plan from Coach Ruk that led to layup after layup.

In the past, this is a game WLU loses. That recipe used to automatically spell disaster for the Toppers.

But tonight, WLU played the entire second half at UPJ's pace. The idea used to be that whichever team dictated the pace in a fast vs. slow game, won the game. WLU said, nah, we'll just beat UPJ playing UPJ's way. They called off the press and locked down on half-court D in the second half and beat the Cats at their own game. REALLY impressive stuff from the Hilltoppers.

And as always, when matched up with an elite big, Marlon Moore played great.

(And, yikes, is that a tough announcing crew. By the end of the night, they were calling Kovacevic something that sounded a lot like Gorbachev. And the referred to the Hilltoppers as Western Liberty all night. Yikes.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
            That was a really impressive win. This one had all the makings of a problem for WLU:

-- A disciplined slow-down team.
            -- A talented big in Kromka.
            -- A cold start shooting the basketball for WLU (couldn't hit for anything in the first 15 minutes of the game)
            -- A great press break plan from Coach Ruk that led to layup after layup.

In the past, this is a game WLU loses. That recipe used to automatically spell disaster for the Toppers.

But tonight, WLU played the entire second half at UPJ's pace. The idea used to be that whichever team dictated the pace in a fast vs. slow game, won the game. WLU said, nah, we'll just beat UPJ playing UPJ's way. They called off the press and locked down on half-court D in the second half and beat the Cats at their own game. REALLY impressive stuff from the Hilltoppers.

And as always, when matched up with an elite big, Marlon Moore played great.

(And, yikes, is that a tough announcing crew. By the end of the night, they were calling Kovacevic something that sounded a lot like Gorbachev. And the referred to the Hilltoppers as Western Liberty all night. Yikes.)
            When Western Union or West Virginia or Western Liberty called off the press it was a brilliant move. I thought it really caught UPJ off guard and stunted them.

I thought UPJ's only shot was to keep Kromka and Landis clean. Then they both got in foul trouble at the same time. That stretch they came out was exactly when WL pulled away for the first time.

UPJ fought pretty hard. They have a nice team. Good coach. Just need a couple more dudes. They handled the press very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

UPJ fought pretty hard. They have a nice team. Good coach. Just need a couple more dudes. They handled the press very well.
              This. They're one or two guys away from being a real big headache to the top teams in the West.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

When Western Union or West Virginia or Western Liberty called off the press it was a brilliant move. I thought it really caught UPJ off guard and stunted them.

I thought UPJ's only shot was to keep Kromka and Landis clean. Then they both got in foul trouble at the same time. That stretch they came out was exactly when WL pulled away for the first time.

Pretty sure I heard a Western Michigan thrown in there too. Quite the duo those two students were

Comment

• PA announcer was embarrassing for upj. said Elijah Wilson and totally butchered Victor's name. Only takes 2 mins before game to write out names phonetically. Fundamental fail.

Wlu dropped platooning in 2nd half after 1st rotation. Went with selective subbing with emphasis on their best experienced athletes. Wlu now has the athletes to play lock down half court defense.

Weirdly and poorly officiated game both sides.

thought ipj was very well coached and i liked their players' basketball iq. Effects of 1st half press became apparent in second half at the foul line for upj.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                    Pretty sure I heard a Western Michigan thrown in there too. Quite the duo those two students were
                    Really does make you appreciate when a school is able to find/train a good student announcer. We're lucky to have Isaac Basinger here at WLU. He does a really nice, professional job considering he's a college Junior.

I watched the women play @ Mercyhurst over the weekend, and their student announcer is excellent (and the camera crew did a nice job with production).

The difference between the haves and have-nots when it comes to the production value of the live feeds is stark. And it really does speak well of the university when they do it right--good publicity to the outside world.

Watching these different feeds, you come away with a very different perspective on a Mercyhurst vs. a UPJ. Makes a difference to those of us looking in from the outside. Mercy comes off looking like they have their s#%* together, and UPJ not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      PA announcer was embarrassing for upj. said Elijah Wilson and totally butchered Victor's name. Only takes 2 mins before game to write out names phonetically. Fundamental fail.

Wlu dropped platooning in 2nd half after 1st rotation. Went with selective subbing with emphasis on their best experienced athletes. Wlu now has the athletes to play lock down half court defense.

Weirdly and poorly officiated game both sides.

thought ipj was very well coached and i liked their players' basketball iq. Effects of 1st half press became apparent in second half at the foul line for upj.
                      Just be glad there was a broadcast!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Just be glad there was a broadcast!
                        I get your point.
                        But from an academic image perspective, the fundamental pronunciation mistakes sullied the recognition of academic excellence during halftime - at least in journalism and communication majors. If one cannot do
                        a good job, probably best to not do it at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I get your point.
                          But from an academic image perspective, the fundamental pronunciation mistakes sullied the recognition of academic excellence during halftime - at least in journalism and communication majors. If one cannot do
                          a good job, probably best to not do it at all.
                          West Lib announcers do the same thing. I've heard it in the past. Just saying...

Comment

• I would blame their professors more than them. They should be taught better than that. My high school announcers which are students do a better job

Comment

• UPJ has had an awful broadcast for years. Appears at least they increased the bandwidth. I just turned volume off after first 2 mins.

It is so dark, too. I always thought Fairmont played in the dark until I went there. In person it is blinding bright. Online looks like a bat cave.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                                I would blame their professors more than them. They should be taught better than that. My high school announcers which are students do a better job
                                I agree that blame falls predominantly on the admin/ professors. They are students after all. Reminds me of the wlu tourney last weekend. They had students working the clock with insufficient training. It was very embarrassing. Officials had to stop play numerous times. Wheeling coach got frustrated and yelled at them. Official put him in his place. Something to the effect that "were YOU perfect the first time you did something?". Wheeling coach sheepishly went back to the bench. As a fan it was very embarrassing that wlu would have inexperienced and probably untrained personnel in such an important position. Not a good optic for administration.. Should have had them do the two scrimmages first and evaluate if they were ready.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X