Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Perfect way to christen the new thread--with a Sporting News Pre-season #1 ranking.

Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Good to be tapped as #1 but there are quite a few questions about the 16-17 Toppers. Losing the National POY is but one of a laundry list of concerns I have going into the season. I think we get it worked out and end up strong again but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose an early game or maybe two.

What surprises me most is that there are NO other Atlantic schools in the top 10!

Comment

Is that broken record skipping again down there already? Yawn. It's still September! But, it seems like Benedict Arnold up there is excited.

I'm just messing. I do think Fairmont is pretty loaded this year. What's the deal on Wheeling? Anybody else look good? Dennis is going to be a terror.

That WL football team burnt me 3 straight in the MEC poll so last week I took Urbana. Go figure.

But hoops will be here before we know it. Can't wait. What was the story with the WVU vs WL exhibition? I thought it was finally a done deal?

It's a shame that Fairmont at IUP game is over break. It's nice to see some basketball posts again ...
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-27-2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Agree with both you guys...There are some questions about the toppers, but if you just look at who's returning, NOT who they lost...It's a top 10 team...
        Dennis: West Liberty's next AA. Will be even better this year....Hope he added a more consistent Jumper, but if not, no one can stay in front of him anyway.
        Hoehn: Very steady sidekick to Dennis, who is a very good 3 pt shooter who has been overshadowed a bit by Seger the past 2 years. More touches and attempts for him.
        Grossenbacher: Athletic big man who can shoot, block, and rebound. Personally I think he is the key.
        Griffin: Transfer from Marist. On the surface, general public gets excited about D-1 transfers, so we'll see...6'5" shooter.
        Monteroso: Transfer from Purdue. (Football). But one of top 15 scorers in OH HS basketball history...I think he will be an excellent pickup.
        Brady Arnold: Athletic small guard, capable of big three's. Expect him to take a step this year.
        Brandon Smith: RS last year, but big guard...will compete for solid mins.
        Kirkbride: Does everything, but nothing spectacular...Has been 2 yr starter...
        Evan French: Good shooter, may be the same player as Brandon Smith..we'll see how it sorts out...

They're deep. They can shoot. They are missing one interior piece--Where are you Chucky Humphries? (his d2 board reputation is probably what's fueling his belief that he can play d1 ;))

I do think Wheeling and Fairmont and IUP and UPJ will be solid in the region...But since we lost all the archives, you can cue this up from me all year, Fairmont loses games they shouldn't...can't shoot and too many turnovers..but always athletic and tough...

Comment

No doubt WL will be very strong this year. It's hard to say they'll be better than last year minus Seger but that will play itself out over the next several months.

I don't really see the lack of big men being an issue for WL -- at least probably not until the Regional. Then it could play a factor depending on the match-up. Dennis is a D1 player.

It's hard to get take the preseason polls too seriously. I think both years IUP went to the national championship game it wasn't even ranked in the preseason Top 25. Same with preseason football polls. There are just far too many unknowns and a general lack of research.

UPJ has a really nice starting five this year. The problem up there is they never have enough depth or speed. They are going to be a tough out, regardless. Leahy, Vescovi and Clancy are players. We'll see what else turns up.

IUP is pretty entrenched in football right now as it should be ... that's quite a team this year. But basketball is right around the corner.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-28-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

VC posted Chase Conner leaving Fairmont for WV Wesleyan.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              VC posted Chase Conner leaving Fairmont for WV Wesleyan.
              Fairmont becomes even less of a threat from outside. Conner made 81 3's last year.

Comment

Strange transfer ... leaving Fairmont for the offensive and defensive style of the PSAC West down at WVW.

Isn't this his third transfer?

My biggest beef with D2 is the inter-conference transfer.

Comment

Strange transfer ... leaving Fairmont for the offensive and defensive style of the PSAC West down at WVW.

Isn't this his third transfer?

My biggest beef with D2 is the inter-conference transfer.
                  They benefited - 2 time all MEC Jamel Morris transferred to Fairmont from Glenville...Now they must PAY!

Comment

Speaking of HILLTOPPER BB the women's team gets the '16-'17 season off to a quick start at the MERCYHUST CONFERENCE CHALLENGE against ....who else but the regional rival CALU VULCAN WBB!! Saturday, Nov. 12, at 3 pm. Both teams came up just short of the ELITE EIGHT last year and I'm sure both would like to correct that this year. It all gets started in 6+ weeks.

Comment

And ... not a sole will get to see it unless you make the drive because Mercyhurst's cheap a-double-s still doesn't have Web feeds.

Comment

Is that broken record skipping again down there already? Yawn. It's still September! But, it seems like Benedict Arnold up there is excited.

I'm just messing. I do think Fairmont is pretty loaded this year. What's the deal on Wheeling? Anybody else look good? Dennis is going to be a terror.

That WL football team burnt me 3 straight in the MEC poll so last week I took Urbana. Go figure.

But hoops will be here before we know it. Can't wait. What was the story with the WVU vs WL exhibition? I thought it was finally a done deal?

It's a shame that Fairmont at IUP game is over break. It's nice to see some basketball posts again ...
                        WVU had some facilities issues with the Coliseum so they're playing a scrimmage vs. WVU Tech (NAIA) in Beckley at the end of the month.

My understanding is that West Liberty and WVU will play a preseason exhibition at the Coliseum prior to next season.

Comment

WLU players should show up at WesBanco Arena tonight in their uniforms and challenge toe Mountineer's to an "unofficial" scrimmage! Wonder what excuse Huggins would come up with for not playing the Toppers if that happened????

http://www.weirtondailytimes.com/spo...s-in-wheeling/

Comment

That is funny they can't get that game scheduled.

Bobby lost a lot from last year. He's not taking that game unless he's damn sure he can win by a decent enough margin.

They could come up and play Pitt. Pitt has been very open to scheduling D2 scrimmage games for the past decade. Easy bus ride.

Slippery Rock, believe it or not, is opening down at Tennessee in a couple weeks.

Comment

I'm laughing as well that Huggins is ducking West Liberty at this point. It really would be funny if WestLib showed up at WesBanco in their uniforms and say we got next. It's like going to someone's neighborhood to play basketball when you know that the best players in that area are on vacation, so you show off like look at what we can do.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X