Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryce Butler named Atlantic Region Player of the year!
    Patrick Robinson III also named to first team.
    Congrats!

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...gion-team.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Bryce Butler named Atlantic Region Player of the year!
      Patrick Robinson III also named to first team.
      Congrats!

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...gion-team.aspx
      Who?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Who?

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I actually think I agree with you. Foster or Alston probably has a stronger claim to that honor this season. (Heck, from a sheer individual stat-stuffing performance standpoint, guys like Isaiah Sanders and John Williams have reasonable claims to the crown as well). Butler certainly had a nice season, but not the kind of season in which your opponent has to game plan you (whereas every team in the PSAC has to ask themselves "what are we gonna do about Alston?" when they play Cal). That, to me, is the mark of a regional POY. In the past, when WLU guys like Bonifant, Falk, Monteroso, etc. won that honor, I think they passed that "game plan test" a bit more than Butler. Butler is still just a Soph, so I expect he'll get to that level in the coming years, but the award seems a year or two early in this case. But congrats to the young man nonetheless. He has certainly worked hard to add aspects to his game that weren't there a year or two ago. And if he keeps developing, he could be scary good in two years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I actually think I agree with you. Foster or Alston probably has a stronger claim to that honor this season. (Heck, from a sheer individual stat-stuffing performance standpoint, guys like Isaiah Sanders and John Williams have reasonable claims to the crown as well). Butler certainly had a nice season, but not the kind of season in which your opponent has to game plan you (whereas every team in the PSAC has to ask themselves "what are we gonna do about Alston?" when they play Cal). That, to me, is the mark of a regional POY. In the past, when WLU guys like Bonifant, Falk, Monteroso, etc. won that honor, I think they passed that "game plan test" a bit more than Butler. Butler is still just a Soph, so I expect he'll get to that level in the coming years, but the award seems a year or two early in this case. But congrats to the young man nonetheless. He has certainly worked hard to add aspects to his game that weren't there a year or two ago. And if he keeps developing, he could be scary good in two years.
                Both Foster and Alston were first team. I am sure it was a difficult call.
                If NBA combine measurables were a factor, Alston would be the runaway winner over Bryce.

However, although I respect Alston's talent, watching the CAL Fairmont game, he takes plays off, especially on defense.
                Have not watched Foster.

Bryce had the following stats for the entire season averaging 26 minutes per game:
                7.3 rebounds
                68% overall FG %
                43% from three
                67% effective FG %
                1.67 Assist to TO ratio
                3.1 assists per game
                Very good defender - he drew two charging calls on McManus in the low post in the MEC tourney
                9 double doubles
                His motor does not stop.

Those numbers are somewhat misleading. In January, he started to dominate, much like Patrick Robinson, but in a different way.
                Some of those games in 2022, Bryce had incredible high effective shooting % (70% to 80+% in some games).
                He started dominating in close games when the game was on the line.

Coaches did start to worry about how to game plan for Bryce, in addition to Patrick.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-12-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• The old saying goes: hard to beat a good team three times in one season. Needed to bring the A game today and didn't do it.

Comment

• Congrats to WVSU. They played extremely hard.

IMHO Difference in game (have not seen stats)
                    • WLU lost the rebounding battle
                    • WLU attempted too many difficult passes, resulting in turnovers
                    • WLU did not turn enough forced turnovers into points
                    IMHO, there are no sweeping changes needed in the roster. Players just need to learn to move with purpose without the ball and not let the ball stick. The coaches exhort them to do that, but they have relapses. When a team does that, it distorts the defense and creates openings for three-point snipers and much easier shots inside too that won't get blocked.

The players need to watch NWMSU move the ball. Hudgens, the national player of the year will drive but refuse to take a difficult, contested shot. Instead he kicks it out to a teammate for a three. They wear down opponents offensively with their passing and movement without the ball.

Comment

Congrats to WVSU. They played extremely hard.

IMHO, there are no sweeping changes needed in the roster. Players just need to learn to move with purpose without the ball and not let the ball stick. The coaches exhort them to do that, but they have relapses. When a team does that, it distorts the defense and creates openings for three-point snipers and much easier shots inside too that won't get blocked.

The players need to watch NWMSU move the ball. Hudgens, the national player of the year will drive but refuse to take a difficult, contested shot. Instead he kicks it out to a teammate for a three. They wear down opponents offensively with their passing and movement without the ball.
                      This. Thanks for bringing the voice of reason and talking the other Hilltopper faithful off the ledge, Columbus.

Comment

Congrats to WVSU. They played extremely hard.

I note that if the players don't get it, don't listen to their coaches and on mass have relapses after a year of having the coaches in their ear on a daily basis, MAYBE they never will.

Ben will not do ANY retooling because he doesn't think any needs to be done. I believe Watson transfers...While he shot .429 from 3, he didn't take NEARLY enough 3 tries (only 7 in 17 games) to warrant a roster spot. Coupled with Kovacavic leaving, MAYBE Ben is forced to bring in a transfer "big"...but just as likely he'll bring in another 6'3" "silky shooter" type with a "high basketball IQ." We love them and can never seem to get enough (why limit yourself to 10 on your roster when you can have 11...or even 12!!). Heck, Satterfield is 6'7" so we probably don't really need to bring in a big...I mean, the only thing they are good for is the opening jump ball! As long as Satterfield can make, and is willing to take, 3's, he'll be fine...he's a little light at 185 pounds but that just means he'll be quicker on the perimeter!

Other transfer candidates include Powell and Web...Also think there will be one surprise transfer.
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 03-12-2022, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Love your take Boat...I can guarantee you Ben is not staying put with this roster, he will be bringing in a few different pieces. I've spoken to Ben numerous times and he is not one to stay put as he knows that getting knocked out in round one is not going to cut it. West Liberty will have atleast 2 players leave and be replaced. I just saw Ben's comments after the game and he already stated he is changing the roster!

Comment

• Originally posted by TopperNation View Post
                            Love your take Boat...I can guarantee you Ben is not staying put with this roster, he will be bringing in a few different pieces. I've spoken to Ben numerous times and he is not one to stay put as he knows that getting knocked out in round one is not going to cut it. West Liberty will have atleast 2 players leave and be replaced. I just saw Ben's comments after the game and he already stated he is changing the roster!
                            There's changing and there's rearanging the deck chairs. If he gets rid of some underperforming pieces and simply replaces them with newer versions of the same, that's not really changing. If he replaces the under performing pieces and brings in players with an intent on installing a different or secondary style, that's a true change. Guess we'll see.

Comment

• The Boat capsized! Down goes the Titanic!

Comment

• The one constant that comes with losing is the reappearance of the secondary style argument. Lol

wlu has highest % wins of any d1 or d2 team over the last 13 years.
                                Ben has highest % of wins of any coach with 5 years or more experience.
                                st. Crutch has proven that the wlu philosophy is not a fluke at nova se.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X