Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI
    offensive highlights for commit Finley.
    born in Bury St. Edmund, near Suffolk England.

Note his passing for assists and open court ball handling. Typical euro skills.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1488290553791926274

Comment

• All these 6-7 players whose advisors are saying you are too good for wlu need to just look in the mirror.
      Forget your basketball skills. Are you built like Phil Alston? That is the requisite body type for d1 interest. That is reality. It does not matter if you shoot better or dribble better. Just watch March madness and watch the knucklehead plays by players whose physical stature is off the charts.

Comment

• Powell to the portal

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
          Powell to the portal
          Sorry to see him go. Would love to know the inside story as to why he was never required to learn to play defense in high school. That put him behind the 8 ball. Great athletic and shooting skills. Could have blossomed with another year of hard work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

All these 6-7 players whose advisors are saying you are too good for wlu need to just look in the mirror.
            Forget your basketball skills. Are you built like Phil Alston? That is the requisite body type for d1 interest. That is reality. It does not matter if you shoot better or dribble better. Just watch March madness and watch the knucklehead plays by players whose physical stature is off the charts.
            The down side of bring in "athletes" (read, players who were big deals in HS). Many are going to leave if they don't get playing time their freshman year...or if coach asks them to do somthing they don't want to do (like play defense in this case).

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

The down side of bring in "athletes" (read, players who were big deals in HS). Many are going to leave if they don't get playing time their freshman year...or if coach asks them to do somthing they don't want to do (like play defense in this case).
              Happens all too often, especially those that were a big fish in a little pond.
              But there is hope. Dante Spadafora was a Fab 5 player in Pittsburgh, Co-wpial player of the year. Big fish in a big pond. He recognized the huge jump in talent, speed and strength from HS to college. He understood the benefit of a redshirt. Mature young man who will have great success.

Comment

Happens all too often, especially those that were a big fish in a little pond.
                But there is hope. Dante Spadafora was a Fab 5 player in Pittsburgh, Co-wpial player of the year. Big fish in a big pond. He recognized the huge jump in talent, speed and strength from HS to college. He understood the benefit of a redshirt. Mature young man who will have great success.
                Spadafora also played for a tiny Catholic school notorious for bringing in ringers - thus having completely loaded teams playing in a dinky classification against small rural schools.

I know he's a good player, bit that discussion could be its own thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Spadafora also played for a tiny Catholic school notorious for bringing in ringers - thus having completely loaded teams playing in a dinky classification against small rural schools.

I know he's a good player, bit that discussion could be its own thread.

That may account for their large margins of victory and 60+ game winning streak.
                  However, another factor is that they press the whole game (or until the game is out of reach), like WLU.
                  In 20-21 season, they played Aliquippa and Highland. In fact Aliquippa was the last team to beat them two years ago. They also played constitution in state finals, who was far more athletic.

Like WLU, I suspect they have problems scheduling out of conference games.

I would separate the school from the player. Dante had lower D1 offers.
                  In watching OLSH games online, Dante never took plays off, regardless of the score. Great shooter, great passer, unselfish, great quickness.
                  One example: Up by 30 with 30 seconds left, Dante misses a 3 from the corner. Opponent gets long rebound past the top of the key with a clear path for a meaningless layup. Dante takes off from the corner, running past teammates and opponents until he catches the guy at the rim and stops the layup. Amazing effort.

Another example: In a pre season scrimmage, Montague got a turnover around mid court and had an open court to score. Despite being 20 feet behind him and not being his man, Dante caught Montague from behind and kept him from a layup.

He is really fast, with long arms for his size.

Comment

• OT (somewhat)
                    Nova SE Sikou Sylla is national player of the year.
                    I guess not everyone outside the PSAC thought Alston was a much better player. LOL
                    Chosen by College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA),

https://nsusharks.com/news/2022/3/21...-the-year.aspx

Oh, what might have been...

Comment

OT (somewhat)
                      Nova SE Sikou Sylla is national player of the year.
                      I guess not everyone outside the PSAC thought Alston was a much better player. LOL
                      Chosen by College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA),

https://nsusharks.com/news/2022/3/21...-the-year.aspx

Oh, what might have been...
                      Alston didn't win PSAC West Player of the Year. If you don't do that, you aren't likely winning National POY.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Alston didn't win PSAC West Player of the Year. If you don't do that, you aren't likely winning National POY.
                        I agree. I did not know that he was not crowned POY. In an earlier post, when I said Alston reminded me somewhat of Sylla, a poster responded saying Alston was a much better player than Sylla.
                        Good to hear that opinion was not shared by the rest of the PSAC, because I certainly did not see him as better than Sylla.

Comment

I agree. I did not know that he was not crowned POY. In an earlier post, when I said Alston reminded me somewhat of Sylla, a poster responded saying Alston was a much better player than Sylla.
                          Good to hear that opinion was not shared by the rest of the PSAC, because I certainly did not see him as better than Sylla.
                          Armoni Foster was voted PSAC West POY.

Comment

• Robinson to College of Charleston, starting a pipeline

Comment

Comment

• Jeremiah moore of wvsu made Alston disappear, playing 1v1. Had no impact before wvsu ran out of gas.

Have watched multiple games of Nova se. I suspect SIDs judged the whole body of work and it was awarded before this game. Their loss today was a team effort of bad shooting and shot selection. His conference is much better competition than any conference in atlantic region. Respect your opinion, but SIDs don't concur. I think Hudgens might win nabc player of year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X