Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Jeremiah moore of wvsu made Alston disappear, playing 1v1. Had no impact before wvsu ran out of gas.

Have watched multiple games of Nova se. I suspect SIDs judged the whole body of work and it was awarded before this game. Their loss today was a team effort of bad shooting and shot selection. His conference is much better competition than any conference in atlantic region. Respect your opinion, but SIDs don't concur. I think Hudgens might win nabc player of year.
    Nova 'shot bad' but they were crushed near the glass. They looked very soft.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Nova 'shot bad' but they were crushed near the glass. They looked very soft.
      It's a good point about rebounding. A lot of people think the "Crutch system" (whether it's at Nova or WLU) is built entirely on shooting. Yes, good shooters are key to making the system work. But crashing the glass hard is also a prerequisite for making the system work. I haven't done the deep dive into the stats, but I would guess that being outrebounded (or being "soft on the glass" if that's your preferred way of seeing it) is as much responsible for losses in this system as anything else. It was clear that WVSU owned the glass (again, going by recollection not looking at box scores) in the WLU regional loss. The couple of times WLU managed to win despite a bad shooting performance (Daemen, Charleston & Wheeling in the MEC tourney, etc.) it was because they were more aggressive in the paint. So, you're absolutely right that keeping a team like Nova off the glass is as key to beating them as is defending the 3 point line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It's a good point about rebounding. A lot of people think the "Crutch system" (whether it's at Nova or WLU) is built entirely on shooting. Yes, good shooters are key to making the system work. But crashing the glass hard is also a prerequisite for making the system work. I haven't done the deep dive into the stats, but I would guess that being outrebounded (or being "soft on the glass" if that's your preferred way of seeing it) is as much responsible for losses in this system as anything else. It was clear that WVSU owned the glass (again, going by recollection not looking at box scores) in the WLU regional loss. The couple of times WLU managed to win despite a bad shooting performance (Daemen, Charleston & Wheeling in the MEC tourney, etc.) it was because they were more aggressive in the paint. So, you're absolutely right that keeping a team like Nova off the glass is as key to beating them as is defending the 3 point line.
        Black Hills won the glass, 55-35. That's a crushing. No other way to say it.

And, that includes the one possession that Nova got 5 offensive rebounds and missed all the shots.

A physical Atlantic Region team would have pushed them around all day.

Comment

Jeremiah moore of wvsu made Alston disappear, playing 1v1. Had no impact before wvsu ran out of gas.

Have watched multiple games of Nova se. I suspect SIDs judged the whole body of work and it was awarded before this game. Their loss today was a team effort of bad shooting and shot selection. His conference is much better competition than any conference in atlantic region. Respect your opinion, but SIDs don't concur. I think Hudgens might win nabc player of year.

Most years, perhaps. But, not this year. The Atlantic Region was loaded this year.

Comment

Comment

• You can't argue with the St. Crutch lovers!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

That anyone other than Hudgins at NW MO ST would win NPOY is a joke in its own right. He should have a shot for 3 straight national championships on Saturday. Kind of unfathomable when you think about it.
                If it weren't for COVID in 2020 it's possible (likely?) he already has 3 straight national championships and is going for his fourth this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

If it weren't for COVID in 2020 it's possible (likely?) he already has 3 straight national championships and is going for his fourth this week.
                  He has my vote for poy.
                  Every aspiring guard should emulate his play
                  • no out of control drives to the rim that pick up charging fouls
                  • When he gets inside and is faced with a difficult shot, he kicks out for an open three.
                  • Totally unselfish. All he cares about is winning
                  • Great defender
                  • He keeps his prodigious skills under wraps until needed. displayed them in last 3 minutes when burning clock. Destroyed his opponent 1v1
                  • Big factor in 1.23 ppp for nwmsu.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

You can't argue with the St. Crutch lovers!
                    Having a week to prepare for Nova surely helped. I think those teams are the toughest when you only have a day to prep.

Comment

He has my vote for poy.
                      Every aspiring guard should emulate his play
                      • no out of control drives to the rim that pick up charging fouls
                      • When he gets inside and is faced with a difficult shot, he kicks out for an open three.
                      • Totally unselfish. All he cares about is winning
                      • Great defender
                      • He keeps his prodigious skills under wraps until needed. displayed them in last 3 minutes when burning clock. Destroyed his opponent 1v1
                      • Big factor in 1.23 ppp for nwmsu.
                      You can say those things about quite a few players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Good points. Imho key to winning games is to best your opponent in as many of the following areas as possible:
                        • shooting %
                        • Offensive rebounding
                        • Turnovers forced
                        • FTs both number and %
                        For example, if you are having a horrific shooting night, you must dominate in at least two of the other areas to have a chance of winning. Nova only dominated in turnovers forced.
                        bhsu dominated them in off. Rebounding and FT to get the win.

Comment

• Looked at college charleston roster.
                          have 2 10+ pts guards returning. Patrick will have competition.

Comment

Looked at college charleston roster.
                            have 2 10+ pts guards returning. Patrick will have competition.
                            They are also in the Philip Alston sweepstakes although I think he will land in the P5.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are also in the Philip Alston sweepstakes although I think he will land in the P5.
                              Don't envy his decision-making process. Could go to a great player development coach, but talented incumbents could keep him from starting. Could go P5 for bragging rights,, but risk of not playing.. If you don't start, nba looks dwindle. On the other hand, you don't want to aim too low. Tough call.

Comment

Don't envy his decision-making process. Could go to a great player development coach, but talented incumbents could keep him from starting. Could go P5 for bragging rights,, but risk of not playing.. If you don't start, nba looks dwindle. On the other hand, you don't want to aim too low. Tough call.
                                I think he's a Day 1 starter at Pitt. However, he may want to go to a more established program. Pitt is a mess right now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X