Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Going to find out soon if anybody is interested. Ben is the perfect age for somebody to poach. Obviously he's not going from WL to the P5, but I could see a mid-major being intrigued enough to roll the dice.

The Catch 22 is would it work against teams with equal depth? Ben's system would also have to be able to incorporate legit big guys. It would get blown up 'up there' without them. You can get away -- typically -- in D2 playing just small forwards. That would get you killed in D1.

And, as you said, the time factor. Mastering that system isn't going to happen in a year or two. Coaches don't get 4-5 years to implement a system in D1. They better be winning -- or showing massive gains -- by Year 2. Or, call the U-HAUL reservations line.

The hardest part may be dealing with the egos in D1. Those kids all think they are a year away from playing with Kevin Durant. Playing 18 mpg as a 'starter' isn't going to fly.
    Excellent points. I would hate to be a d1 coach now, where players listen to "advisors" more than the coach.
    I could see an ivy league school being open to the style. No athletic or academic scholarships, high iq players who have no delusions of NBA stardom, and more patience by school and alumni. One example was pete carril and his Princeton teams. No one wanted to play them in the tourney.

Comment

Going to find out soon if anybody is interested. Ben is the perfect age for somebody to poach. Obviously he's not going from WL to the P5, but I could see a mid-major being intrigued enough to roll the dice.

The Catch 22 is would it work against teams with equal depth? Ben's system would also have to be able to incorporate legit big guys. It would get blown up 'up there' without them. You can get away -- typically -- in D2 playing just small forwards. That would get you killed in D1.

And, as you said, the time factor. Mastering that system isn't going to happen in a year or two. Coaches don't get 4-5 years to implement a system in D1. They better be winning -- or showing massive gains -- by Year 2. Or, call the U-HAUL reservations line.

The hardest part may be dealing with the egos in D1. Those kids all think they are a year away from playing with Kevin Durant. Playing 18 mpg as a 'starter' isn't going to fly.
      Doesn';t seem like you can "sneak up" on the WLU style. What I mean is you cant really take a couple of years to impliment it. Its more a rip the band aid off thing. Try to impliment it gradually and you're going to struggle.

As demonstrated at times by WLU, "D1 caliber" players seem to have occasional game long lapses and on mass revert to 1v1/hero/aau/iso ball. I think that might be a bigger problem at a true D1.

Comment

• Elijah Watson has interest from D2 Wayne State College in Wayne, Nebraska.

Comment

• FYI

8 finalists for Bevo Francis Award. Butler and Robinson III made top 50.

Buzz Anthony Randolph Macon d3 national champs d3 POY
          Myles Burns loyola (LA) naia national champs
          Jack Davidson Wabash d3
          Alex gross Olivet nazarene naia
          Trevor Hudgens nwmsu 2,829 pts, 700 assists, nabc d2 national poy
          Joel Scott Jr. BHSU d2
          Sekou Sylla Nova se
          Ryan Turell Yeshiva d3

https://youtu.be/VxrARBiNlHA
          Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-04-2022, 07:07 AM. Reason: Added video link

Comment

• Congrats Bryce Butler on making 2nd team All American! Only sophomore on 1st or 2nd team!
            Well deserved and reflects his hard work!
            https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-american.aspx

Comment

• FYI

NCAA All Divisions All-Time Head Coach Win Percentage
              1. Jim Crutchfield (West Liberty/Nova Southeastern) .848 (459-82, 17 yrs.)*
              2. Mark Few (Gonzaga) .836 (658-129, 23 yrs.)*
              3. Clair Bee (Rider/LIU Brooklyn) .824 (412-88, 21 yrs.)
              4. Adolph Rupp (Kentucky) .822 (876-190, 41 yrs.)
              5. Matt Logie (Whitworth/Point Loma) .821 (247-54, 11 yrs.)*
              6. Bucky Harris (Jefferson) .811 (240-56, 13 yrs.)
              7. Dolph Stanley (Beloit) .810 (238-56, 12 yrs.)
              8. John Wooden (Indiana State/UCLA) .804 (664-162, 29 yrs.)
              9. Ben McCollum (Northwest Mo. St.) .801 (334-83, 13 yrs.)*
              10. John Kresse (Coll. of Charleston) .797 (560-143, 23 yrs.)
              11. Josh Schertz (Lincoln Memorial/Indiana State) .796 (348-89, 14 yrs.)*
              12. Dave Robbins (Virginia Union) .786 (713-194, 30 yrs.)
              13. Jerry Tarkanian (LBSU/UNLV/Fresno St.) .784 (729-201, 31 yrs.)
              14. Francis Schmidt (Tulsa/Arkansas/TCU) .782 (258-72, 17 yrs.)
              15. Dean Smith (North Carolina) .776 (879-254, 37 yrs.)
              * - active head coaches
              Source: NCAA Statistics (Minimum of 10 Years' Experience)

Comment

• Looks like WLU and Nova SE have another member of the positionless basketball coaching ranks- new wvu women's coach Dawn Plitzuweit. Her South Dakota team upset Baylor.

from wvmetrobews.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                  Looks like WLU and Nova SE have another member of the positionless basketball coaching ranks- new wvu women's coach Dawn Plitzuweit. Her South Dakota team upset Baylor.

from wvmetrobews.com

That would be #4. Devin Hoehn at Bluefield being #3. After opening the season 2-10, they finished the year on an 8-4 run. #3 offense in the country after WLU and Nova. They exceded the century mark 8 times during the season with 6 of the 8 coming in the second half of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

That would be #4. Devin Hoehn at Bluefield being #3. After opening the season 2-10, they finished the year on an 8-4 run. #3 offense in the country after WLU and Nova. They exceded the century mark 8 times during the season with 6 of the 8 coming in the second half of the season.

That No. 3 offense scored 90.8 ppg but gave up 92.8 ppg against a very weak schedule. Edinboro somehow hung 113 on them. The two best teams they played (Charleston and Virginia Union) both ran them out of the building and held them in the low 60s. No doubt they could score against the competition they played but their defense was horrendous.

I suspect his 10-14 record will improve to the 14-10 range this season. At that point, he'll be a candidate to get out of there. I would think he'll be sought after for any lower-level MEC/PSAC jobs that open after next season.

Comment

That No. 3 offense scored 90.8 ppg but gave up 92.8 ppg against a very weak schedule. Edinboro somehow hung 113 on them. The two best teams they played (Charleston and Virginia Union) both ran them out of the building and held them in the low 60s. No doubt they could score against the competition they played but their defense was horrendous.

I suspect his 10-14 record will improve to the 14-10 range this season. At that point, he'll be a candidate to get out of there. I would think he'll be sought after for any lower-level MEC/PSAC jobs that open after next season.
                      Devin picked a tough place for a first head coaching gig. Back when Northfork Blue Demons were winning 7 straight AA titles and pressing like wlu, many wound up at bsc. But that was when when coal was king and there were 100K population in McDowell County, not 18.6k (2019). Fairly decent 1st season all things considered. Wish him well and hope he can squeeze 20 wins in a couple of years

Comment

All true. Young 1st year HC who came into an unsettled situation at a school that was struggling. Dealt with some issues (covid?) that caused a few games to be canceled. And yes, the schedule wasn't tough by any stretch of the imagination. But they did start to come around the second part of the year. They are also super young.

If they sched mostly lower tier DII's next year, I believe they will be around 500...if they sched similar quality as this past year, i could see them well above 500.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Devin picked a tough place for a first head coaching gig. Back when Northfork Blue Demons were winning 7 straight AA titles and pressing like wlu, many wound up at bsc. But that was when when coal was king and there were 100K population in McDowell County, not 18.6k (2019). Fairly decent 1st season all things considered. Wish him well and hope he can squeeze 20 wins in a couple of years
                          It appears that Bluefield is banking their recovery on being a HBCU as opposed to being a state school in the mountains of West Virginia. Being an HBCU is a pretty "hot ticket" right now. EARLY returns seem to show that this might be a successful strategy (enrollment appears to be up considerably). I wouldn't put it past Robin Capehart to be able to make Bluefield his second WV success story.

Comment

It appears that Bluefield is banking their recovery on being a HBCU as opposed to being a state school in the mountains of West Virginia. Being an HBCU is a pretty "hot ticket" right now. EARLY returns seem to show that this might be a successful strategy (enrollment appears to be up considerably). I wouldn't put it past Robin Capehart to be able to make Bluefield his second WV success story.
                            Which conference do you think will go after them ... the CIAA or MEC?

Comment

Which conference do you think will go after them ... the CIAA or MEC?
                              Building on the "Bluefield HBCU brand," they have asked to join the CIAA. Don't know if the CIAA has taken any action to bring them on board. I think they probably do join the CIAA but have said in the past, the MEC needs to take immediate steps to bring Bluefield in as an Associate member in several sports with a promise to bring them in as full members if they meet several institutional metrics (continued increase in enrollment, financial stability, continued improvements in athletics, etc).

But it seems pretty clear that the MEC has zero interest in going beyond 12 members and right now, that is were they are at.

Comment

Building on the "Bluefield HBCU brand," they have asked to join the CIAA. Don't know if the CIAA has taken any action to bring them on board. I think they probably do join the CIAA but have said in the past, the MEC needs to take immediate steps to bring Bluefield in as an Associate member in several sports with a promise to bring them in as full members if they meet several institutional metrics (continued increase in enrollment, financial stability, continued improvements in athletics, etc).

But it seems pretty clear that the MEC has zero interest in going beyond 12 members and right now, that is were they are at.

I'm curious who the PSAC will target when Mercyhurst allegedly joins the Big 10.

My guess is they'd make a big push with Frostburg State. They'd go in the East and perhaps Ship comes back to the West.

Because, you known, we need 97 teams in the league.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X