Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    West Liberty playing in Las Vegas tourney!
    Lubbock Christian sat dec 17
    Missouri S and T sun Dec 18

Great reward for their hard work!
    Definitely not ducking anybody with that schedule they released--non-con games against Cal, UPJ, Lubbock Christian, and @ Bowie. The new rotation isn't going to have a lot of time to jell with 3 quality PSAC opponents coming in week 1 (Shepherd, Cal, & UPJ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Definitely not ducking anybody with that schedule they released--non-con games against Cal, UPJ, Lubbock Christian, and @ Bowie. The new rotation isn't going to have a lot of time to jell with 3 quality PSAC opponents coming in week 1 (Shepherd, Cal, & UPJ).
      I am optimistic that they will jell very quickly. Despite just open gym with 7 new players and no practices:
      - they share the ball readily and make the extra pass
      - several of their new players play above the rim on a routine basis
      - returning players have transformed their bodies
      - every player is quick and athletic for their size
      - great experience at college level for transfers

Comment

• New wlu verbal for 2023
        Terrance Pankey, Jr. of Youngstown Ursiline has verbally committed to West Liberty, according to his twiitter.
        Rare combination of maturity, basketball iq, unselfishness and great athletic ability. Perfect fit for the hilltoppers! He will thrive in this system.

Highlights:
        https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1335843...b31b13cc3611e0

Comment

• The Serbian pipeline has opened up https://twitter.com/wlathletics/stat...INypviFp2t2X9Q

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
            Hope this is a precursor to a long line of Eastern European players. They are great fits for the wlu style and it matches well with the euro pro game.

Comment

• Imho, I would be very surprised if Terrance Pankey does not see significant time in 2023-2024. His skills and judgment are so advanced for his age.

Comment

• Comment

Imho, I would be very surprised if Terrance Pankey does not see significant time in 2023-2024. His skills and judgment are so advanced for his age.
                  We'll see if he actually shows up on the Hilltop. We seem to have had some recent issues signing players and then having them de-commit after a big senior school-boy season.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

We'll see if he actually shows up on the Hilltop. We seem to have had some recent issues signing players and then having them de-commit after a big senior school-boy season.
                    What I have a problem with is reneging on signed LOIs, essentially breaking a written contract. Bright side, there are no shortage of great players in transfer portal who love the wlu style. I can think of 2 cases- probably there are more.

insincere Carry - likely d1 3rd party tampering. Got Malik and Patrick who were likely better fits. Karma had him transfer to Kent state. Lol
                    Luke Denbow - only paul harvey would disclose the rest of the story... anyhow, Steve Cannady is much better and much more experienced.

"The optimist believes we are living in the best of all possible worlds.... the pessimist fears it is true."

Comment

What I have a problem with is reneging on signed LOIs, essentially breaking a written contract. Bright side, there are no shortage of great players in transfer portal who love the wlu style. I can think of 2 cases- probably there are more.

insincere Carry - likely d1 3rd party tampering. Got Malik and Patrick who were likely better fits. Karma had him transfer to Kent state. Lol
                      Luke Denbow - only paul harvey would disclose the rest of the story... anyhow, Steve Cannady is much better and much more experienced.

"The optimist believes we are living in the best of all possible worlds.... the pessimist fears it is true."
                      Funny how fan perceptions of the player changes after the player decommits. I recall some pretty lofty things being said on this message board about both Carry and Denbow when they were in the WLU recruting class...Then when they left just as many posts about how we were better without them/the players we got in their place were actually BETTER!

"There are three sides to every story, my side, your side and the TRUTH!"

Comment

Funny how fan perceptions of the player changes after the player decommits. I recall some pretty lofty things being said on this message board about both Carry and Denbow when they were in the WLU recruting class...Then when they left just as many posts about how we were better without them/the players we got in their place were actually BETTER!

When a player signs with WL ... the only thing that gets in the way is whether they declare for the NBA Draft first.

The moment they transfer or de-commit ... they were worthless all along.

I suppose most fan bases are the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

When a player signs with WL ... the only thing that gets in the way is whether they declare for the NBA Draft first.

The moment they transfer or de-commit ... they were worthless all along.

I suppose most fan bases are the same way.
                          Yea...most are. I try to temper positive and negative expectations. Both IUP and WLU are going to get high quality recruits pretty much across the board. Some will blossom, some won't...and some won't even set foot on campus! Hard to predict which players are which based on school-boy stats, on-line highlight tapes and "player evaluation" from hype sites that sometimes seem to be in the game of rating every player they look at highly!

But hey, talking about how GREAT our recruting class is and how players x, y and z are "can't miss" stars in the making helps the off season go buy a little quicker! Can't wait for the discussion to turn from individual players to how this years version of our team is going to be the best team in the history of history!!!!!! Just check the stats...They PROVE we are on the cusp of a once in a century confluence of individual greatness, offensive jerganaulthood, titanicly dominant defensiveatood married with genius level basketball IQ from player 1 all the way down to player 12 that will assure us of an undefeated season and a NC...Provided we don't have to play NW Missouri in the Elite 8!!

Comment

Saying someone is better does not imply the lesser player is bad.

Denbow is very good high school player. However, saying that an all conference level player with 2500 minutes of college experience (cannady) is an upgrade is just fact. Does not mean denbow is bad. Just much less experienced. I have seen both of them play in person. Cannady may be fastest player on wlu team and best defender. And montague and mckinney are very fast and great defenders. Saw him block a shot of 6-4 wlu guy from behind above the rim. Great smarts and great athletic ability. In 5 years, denbow may be comparable. Just not now.

High school players and their supporters have lost leverage with the experienced great players in the portal.

Carry was an all conference MAC performer. Never said he was not very good. He got looks from wvu in hs before his 2 knee injuries. But we got an all region player in robinson and great shooter and defender in mckinney after he reneged.

The point is there is no need for concern if players decommit. There are others waiting in the wings thanks to ben's contingency planning.

I just chafe at players reneging on signed contracts.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-11-2022, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Denbow is very good high school player. However, saying that an all conference level player with 2500 minutes of college experience (cannady) is an upgrade is just fact. Does not mean denbow is bad. Just much less experienced. I have seen both of them play in person. Cannady may be fastest player on wlu team and best defender. And montague and mckinney are very fast and great defenders. Saw him block a shot of 6-4 guy from behind above the rim. Great smarts and great athletic ability. In 5 years, denbow may be comparable. Just not now.

High school players and their supporters have lost leverage with the experienced great players in the portal.

Cannady vanished in the three IUP losses last year for the Lakers -- scoring 1, 5 and 0 points in the three games.

They also cut his minutes way down at the end (24 in PSAC Final Four, 19 in NCAA Round 1 and just 11 in NCAA Round 2 loss to IUP). I'm sure that contributed to his departure.

He's a solid player. He's a good defensive addition but I'll be curious how he handles playing 17-18 mpg. Lot of mouths to feed on the Hilltop this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Cannady vanished in the three IUP losses last year for the Lakers -- scoring 1, 5 and 0 points in the three games.

They also cut his minutes way down at the end (24 in PSAC Final Four, 19 in NCAA Round 1 and just 11 in NCAA Round 2 loss to IUP). I'm sure that contributed to his departure.

He's a solid player. He's a good defensive addition but I'll be curious how he handles playing 17-18 mpg. Lot of mouths to feed on the Hilltop this year.
                                So true about balance on this years team. Greater possessions per game makes 18 min more like 22-24 mins for more deliberate styles. Watching him play with wlu i sense he was built for a more free-form style. He is a handful in the open court in transition. Sometimes a certain style fits a player better. Have to wait and see. He has great vision and has had great coaching.
                                Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-11-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X