Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Westminster from PA? An intra-squad would have been much more exciting.
    Yes you are correct. Based on first hand observation, even the intrasquad open gym games to 100 are closer and more intense on both sides than either Findlay or ashland also. They just need to play someone new with an alternate style (lol). WLU usually has last scrimmage against a d3 team, where the folks farther down the depth chart (10-14) or folks who are returning from injury get extended playing time.

Comment

• Fyi
      terrance pankey and garrison kisner have signed their LOI to attend west liberty.

Comment

• Saw an article today in which Howlett announced who he was planning to redshirt. Article said both Barnhart and Drojnak are redshirting. So, he'll go into the season with his traditional 12 (or, I guess, 11 until/if Hinds is ready). Two rotations of 5 and 1-2 extras.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          Saw an article today in which Howlett announced who he was planning to redshirt. Article said both Barnhart and Drojnak are redshirting. So, he'll go into the season with his traditional 12 (or, I guess, 11 until/if Hinds is ready). Two rotations of 5 and 1-2 extras.
          Thanks. Great info. If they can be patient, like bolon , dyer, and yoakum were in redshirting, it can really help them.

It is a big step up from wv class A ball to wlu, although Barnhart is getting more comfortable. A coach's son, he understands the game, but needs to get stronger.

Dronjak has the tools, but he needs to get stronger and adjust to the much more physical play at wlu, compared to Euro ball. He has great shooting mechanics.

the remaining 12 are really talented. Imho one won't see much difference in the platoons, once they gain experience over the course of the season.

Comment

• Nice first win hope they fix the leaky roof soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Thanks. Great info. If they can be patient, like bolon , dyer, and yoakum were in redshirting, it can really help them.

It is a big step up from wv class A ball to wlu, although Barnhart is getting more comfortable. A coach's son, he understands the game, but needs to get stronger.

Dronjak has the tools, but he needs to get stronger and adjust to the much more physical play at wlu, compared to Euro ball. He has great shooting mechanics.

the remaining 12 are really talented. Imho one won't see much difference in the platoons, once they gain experience over the course of the season.

There in lies the rub. Apparently not a lot of D1 interest in a 6'6", 195 pound Serbian who was a little raw inside. Wonder if there is a D1 market for a 6'6", 205 pounder with great shooting skills and a year of running the WLU practice crucible?

Comment

• Dalton Bolon is back for another season at College of Charleston. He is starting through two games and is the teams leading scorer.

Pat Robinson is also at CofC. As the teams 6th man, he is the third leading scorer.

Will Yoakum is starting for Nova Southeastern and is the teams number 2 scorer through 3 games.

Garret Denbow is starting at Anderson Univ (SAC). Leading scorer albeit through 1 game.

Luke Denbow is also starting at Anderson. Scored 10 pts and dished 3 assists in 17 min.

Comment

• EARLY (two games) assessments:

1. Unlike WLU teams of the past, this team has one star, Bryce Butler. Team will go as far as he can carry them.

2. There is a clear drop off from the first unit to the second. Last season the bench averaged approx 47 PPG. Thus far this years iteration is averaging 25 PPG.

3. We are struggling mightily from the 3 point line. Makes last years .377 3 point shooting (which was poor) seem like a distant memory.

The good news is we are 2-0 and we still have 90% of the season to play to "fix" the above problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    EARLY (two games) assessments:

1. Unlike WLU teams of the past, this team has one star, Bryce Butler. Team will go as far as he can carry them.

2. There is a clear drop off from the first unit to the second. Last season the bench averaged approx 47 PPG. Thus far this years iteration is averaging 25 PPG.

3. We are struggling mightily from the 3 point line. Makes last years .377 3 point shooting (which was poor) seem like a distant memory.

The good news is we are 2-0 and we still have 90% of the season to play to "fix" the above problems.
                    I do think the second team will pick it up as the season goes on. It didn't necessarily show up in the box scores this weekend, but Alek West is the real deal. He looked REALLY good (and in just his second game in the system).

Woodward is also a beast--really good passer for a big guy. He had a few high quality assists to a cutting guard. I think the second team will be just fine.

The 3-point shooting woes are more worrisome to me. It almost seemed as though some guys hesitated taking the open looks (which is just not Hilltopper basketball). If the look is there, gotta bury it.

Furthermore, in a game with a TON of whistles (seemingly half of which were offensive fouls on drives to the hole), stronger outside shooting performance would have made that game a runaway. Instead, WLU had to keep going toward the hoop where a waiting Cal defender just took the charge.

Comment

I do think the second team will pick it up as the season goes on. It didn't necessarily show up in the box scores this weekend, but Alek West is the real deal. He looked REALLY good (and in just his second game in the system).

Woodward is also a beast--really good passer for a big guy. He had a few high quality assists to a cutting guard. I think the second team will be just fine.

The 3-point shooting woes are more worrisome to me. It almost seemed as though some guys hesitated taking the open looks (which is just not Hilltopper basketball). If the look is there, gotta bury it.

Furthermore, in a game with a TON of whistles (seemingly half of which were offensive fouls on drives to the hole), stronger outside shooting performance would have made that game a runaway. Instead, WLU had to keep going toward the hoop where a waiting Cal defender just took the charge.
                      It is early in the season and there obviously is time to change. I don't think we can go through the season with one dominant player, a second five that underperforms AND shooting sub .300 from 3.

The charging on drives also concerns me. That's a step away from the "hero ball" we broke into at times last season. The whole I'M better than you...I can take you to the hole any time I want...thing. Just because maybe you can do that...is that really in the best interest of the team? Maybe it's better to beat your guy and take a short pullup jumper or maybe pull the defense to you and kick it out the the open wing. If our guys have as high a basketball IQ as we've been told they do, I'd hope they would figure out that the best option is being willing to NOT call your number and force it to the hole.

Comment

• Dummy's observations on Shepherd wlu gane
                        Shepherd:
                        [ ] Experienced, physical team
                        [ ] stereotypical psac team- 4 guys over 200 lbs. Even 5-10 pg was 185 lbs
                        Strategy
                        [ ] Attack when breaking press
                        [ ] Wait 15 secs before starting offense
                        [ ] Attack boards
                        Tactical errors really hurt them
                        [ ] Playing only 7
                        [ ] Letting team go 1 on1 playground in 2nd half
                        [ ] Mental and physical fatigue - 22 turnovers and 45% ft %. Had to take pg out down 19 with 5 min as he was exhausted
                        [ ] 41% live ball turnovers.

WLU defense is suffocating. Keeps them in games even when shooting poorly and not dominating the boards.

Comment

• Just watched the game recap of the #1 UNC vs CofC game. Both Bolon and Robinson proved that the D1 stage was not too big for them. Bolon lead CofC with 16 points in true Bollon fashon...inside and outside and flying all around the court. Robinson finished with 14 points in his smooth as silk way. CofC put a scare into the homestanding Tarheels taking a 50-43 into half time but wilted in the second half before losing 86-102.

If Bolon keeps this up, wouldn't be surprised if he get's on some NBA radars. IF that happens and he does find his way onto an NBA roster if he will be listed as out of CofC OR West Liberty??

Comment

• A Dummy's observations on cal vs wlu game

Cal:
                            [ ] extremely well conditioned and very well coached. Played 6 guys and did not collapse. Impressive.
                            [ ] physically, the team looked more like a mec team than a psac team.

Strategy
                            [ ] Attack when breaking press . They had a good scheme for breaking press. Mcclurg was very comfortable playing fast.
                            [ ] get help on butler
                            [ ] limit second chance points

Down 16 at half, cal hit 56% of 3s in second half (43% for game), and many were deep and contested, while wlu shooting woes continued. Cal double teamed brice in the second half as they could not stop him.

Imho
                            the defense of wlu was crucial in avoiding the loss, when they did not play well as a team offensively.
                            wlu had 109 pts per 100 possessions while holding a good shooting Cal team to 100 ppp.
                            A far cry from the typical wlu season average of a nation leading 125 ppp.

60% of 20 cal turnovers were live ball turnovers. wlu won the boards 40-30 and offense boards 13-7.
                            In the waning moments of the game it was butler time, allowing others to hit open looks and cal finally cooled off a little.

Imho this game highlighted areas of improvement.
                            - Of 19 wlu turnovers, 8 were charges. Players have to understand that unlike aau ball, defenses place a huge emphasis on drawing charges. Multiple players collapse into the lane area in help defense. We are making the kickout pass while flying through the air, with our momentum resulting in contact with the opponent. Players must learn to jump stop to halt their forward momentum. Somehow that technique has been lost in favor of high wire acts.
                            - There are serious 3 pt. shooting mechanics issues with some of our players. Their 3 pt. shots are flat and there is little ball rotation. The result is very low shooting % from 3 compared to last season. I am confident that the coaches have noticed. Players need to heed their suggestions. Very few can play pro without a 3 pt shot today.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-14-2022, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• I'll be interested to hear what smarter basketball minds than mine think about last night's win vs. UPJ. But here are a few starter thoughts:

1. UPJ is clearly a disciplined, well-coached team. That showed early on where WLU was having a bit of trouble forcing the issue and getting the pace to the frenetic level where they like it.

2. But it was interesting to note that by the middle of the 2nd half, UPJ had broken down (mentally, physically, or both?) and played right into WLU's plans and pace got hyper-frenetic at that point (which is when the consistent 9-point lead WLU had been building ballooned into a 17-point lead).

3. UPJ really misses Mulbah. He was a difference maker last year up at their place for sure.

4. I was surprised to see WLU's defense hold Kromka to just 12 points (and single-digit rebounding as well). In the past, WLU has struggled with those talented hybrid bigs, so it was nice to see them frustrate Kromka all night.

5. Granted, Kromka also bothered Butler who was way below his point average as well. He's been doing a lot of his damage in the paint this year (he LOVES that baby hook), but JPK kept him out of there for the most part.

6. But contrary to Boat's note a few comments up (about fearing that WLU would become a one-man engine this year), when Butler was shut down McKinney & Cannady stepped up and went off. Their speed and quick first step was just too much for UPJ's Mulbah-less guard crew. Nice to see some alternate options step up and prove that WLU isn't a Butler-only team in the scoring column.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear what smarter basketball minds than mine think about last night's win vs. UPJ. But here are a few starter thoughts:

1. UPJ is clearly a disciplined, well-coached team. That showed early on where WLU was having a bit of trouble forcing the issue and getting the pace to the frenetic level where they like it.

2. But it was interesting to note that by the middle of the 2nd half, UPJ had broken down (mentally, physically, or both?) and played right into WLU's plans and pace got hyper-frenetic at that point (which is when the consistent 9-point lead WLU had been building ballooned into a 17-point lead).

3. UPJ really misses Mulbah. He was a difference maker last year up at their place for sure.

4. I was surprised to see WLU's defense hold Kromka to just 12 points (and single-digit rebounding as well). In the past, WLU has struggled with those talented hybrid bigs, so it was nice to see them frustrate Kromka all night.

5. Granted, Kromka also bothered Butler who was way below his point average as well. He's been doing a lot of his damage in the paint this year (he LOVES that baby hook), but JPK kept him out of there for the most part.

6. But contrary to Boat's note a few comments up (about fearing that WLU would become a one-man engine this year), when Butler was shut down McKinney & Cannady stepped up and went off. Their speed and quick first step was just too much for UPJ's Mulbah-less guard crew. Nice to see some alternate options step up and prove that WLU isn't a Butler-only team in the scoring column.

Mulbah was just a gigantic loss for them. I get it ... he's spending his last year with his feet in the sand and far away from the brutal Johnstown winter.

But, he was so dynamic that it made that whole team so much better. He could drive the hoop so well -- and then either score or dish it to Kromka for an easy layup. He wasn't perfect. You could always count on a couple turnovers a game, but his loss to that team was massive. With him, a lot of their set shooters could kind of hang around on the arc and wait for the ball. Without him, they have to work a lot harder to get those type of shots. He also put an enormous amount of pressure on defenses because he could do so much.

As you said, they are a smart team and fundamentally sound -- trademarks of any Rukavina team. Without Mulbah, though, I don't see them really being a threat to win the West. They got picked 4th in the West and I think that was spot-on. They'll really struggle, depth-wise, with IUP and Mercyhurst, and also Cal (if they ever get healthy).

Cal is going to be a major headache once they get Lucas and Collins back.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X