Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

(Love the confidence, Layton, but let's not forget that IUP is #1 in the Nation and will remain the favorite to host the Atlantic until proven otherwise.)
    They’ll slip up

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post

They’ll slip up
      According to Inkblot, West Liberty would be the 1 seed if the season ended today. Significant edge over IUP in strength of schedule and RPI. Only thing it means with two months to go is that national rankings don't mean anything. West Liberty was No. 2 in last year's final NABC Top 25 and got upset by W.Va. State in the regional quarterfinal.

Comment

• Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

According to Inkblot, West Liberty would be the 1 seed if the season ended today. Significant edge over IUP in strength of schedule and RPI. Only thing it means with two months to go is that national rankings don't mean anything. West Liberty was No. 2 in last year's final NABC Top 25 and got upset by W.Va. State in the regional quarterfinal.
        IUP's metrics will be fine. They still play Mercyhurst again, UPJ and Slippery Rock twice each and also East Stroudsburg.

Of course they also have 6 games left with Gannon, Clarion and Edinboro.

We obviously have the two vocal fanbases but this regional could easily also be at East Stroudsburg or WV State.

I know one thing for sure: talking about who is hosting on Jan. 11 is about a guaranteed waste of time.

There's 5-6 very strong teams in the Atlantic - four of which, my opinion, are a step above.

Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-11-2023, 05:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP's metrics will be fine. They still play Mercyhurst again, UPJ and Slippery Rock twice each and also East Stroudsburg.

We obviously have the two vocal fanbases but this regional could easily also be at East Stroudsburg or WV State.

I know one thing for sure: talking about who is hosting on Jan. 11 is about a guaranteed waste of time.

There's 5-6 very strong teams in the Atlantic - four of which, my opinion, are a step above.

Totally agree. I haven't seen ESU yet, but that WVSU team is really scary. Anything can happen going forward.

Comment

Totally agree. I haven't seen ESU yet, but that WVSU team is really scary. Anything can happen going forward.
            And ... then Mercyhurst will win the region as a 7 seed and a year worth of bantering won't matter anyway. LOL. Their defense travels well.

No worse team to play in a one-and-done. The Lakers are good this year and may be real good by March.

I said a month ago I thought East Stroudsburg was the top team in the Region. Yes, they had the hiccup against Seton Hill after a 6-hour bus ride and lost on a buzzer beater from NBA range. I'm not sure I'd still say they are the best -- I wouldn't say anybody is the best at this point. I think the Top 4-5 is pretty clear at this point. But (knock on wood) one key injury can change everything in a moment.

Comment

And ... then Mercyhurst will win the region as a 7 seed and a year worth of bantering won't matter anyway. LOL. Their defense travels well.

No worse team to play in a one-and-done. The Lakers are good this year and may be real good by March.

I said a month ago I thought East Stroudsburg was the top team in the Region. Yes, they had the hiccup against Seton Hill after a 6-hour bus ride and lost on a buzzer beater from NBA range. I'm not sure I'd still say they are the best -- I wouldn't say anybody is the best at this point. I think the Top 4-5 is pretty clear at this point. But (knock on wood) one key injury can change everything in a moment.
              You might recall a similar scenario happened to NWMSU a few years back. Washburn beat them on a 3/4 court buzzer beater, and that loss was enough to allow Northern State to host the Region. Of course, NWMSU promptly won the region on NSU's court and went on to trounce the field and win its 27th consecutive National championship (I may be misremembering that number). ; )

So if ESU is this year's Atlantic version of NWMSU from a few years ago, look out!

Comment

Think we can all agree on that.

Comment

• What’s the school record for points in a game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                    What’s the school record for points in a game?
                    11-17-2018. WLU 158. Glenville 106, WLU had 87 in 1st half.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

11-17-2018. WLU 158. Glenville 106, WLU had 87 in 1st half.
                      I was in the building for that one. It was a blast to watch. It also happened to be the night that Aiden Satterfield was in for his recruitment visit. It might have been one of the reasons he chose WLU . . . until he decided to leave after his redshirt year.

The thing is, that Glenville team had serious offensive weapons. If you remember, Marshall-transfer Phil Bledsoe was getting talked about as a conference player of the year candidate. That means that giving up the 106 to Glenville in a game played that fast with that many possessions was somewhat reasonable.

Giving up triple digits to Frostburg last night was inexcusable. There were far too many matador defensive plays by the WLU side. Even when the game is out of reach for your opponent, you still have to have enough pride to sit down a stop a weaker opponent from getting clean layup looks. And when the mop-up crew--given a chance to show they can play this system as well as the top 7-8 guys can--went in and just turned it over in the backcourt on, like, 5 straight possessions, that was disappointing to see as well.

I hate to see WLU play a sloppy game right as they're getting ready to head into dreaded Retton Arena. That's as tough a place to play as any building in the conference, and you better believe that no matter how many losses that Fairmont team has, they WILL be ready for WLU on Saturday. They always are. And they're never intimidated--especially in their own building.

Comment

Giving up triple digits to Frostburg last night was inexcusable. There were far too many matador defensive plays by the WLU side. Even when the game is out of reach for your opponent, you still have to have enough pride to sit down a stop a weaker opponent from getting clean layup looks. And when the mop-up crew--given a chance to show they can play this system as well as the top 7-8 guys can--went in and just turned it over in the backcourt on, like, 5 straight possessions, that was disappointing to see as well.

I hate to see WLU play a sloppy game right as they're getting ready to head into dreaded Retton Arena. That's as tough a place to play as any building in the conference, and you better believe that no matter how many losses that Fairmont team has, they WILL be ready for WLU on Saturday. They always are. And they're never intimidated--especially in their own building.
                        Coach Howlett echoed your sentiments. Scroll down on link for post-game interview.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...urg-state.aspx

Comment

I was in the building for that one. It was a blast to watch. It also happened to be the night that Aiden Satterfield was in for his recruitment visit. It might have been one of the reasons he chose WLU . . . until he decided to leave after his redshirt year.

The thing is, that Glenville team had serious offensive weapons. If you remember, Marshall-transfer Phil Bledsoe was getting talked about as a conference player of the year candidate. That means that giving up the 106 to Glenville in a game played that fast with that many possessions was somewhat reasonable.

I always have sympathy for the deep bench guys. It's tough to basically sit around for 2 hours and then at the flip of a switch be told you're going in. The warm-up was a long time ago by then. At least in football you can stay active on the sideline and somewhat stay warm. Basketball they are literally just sitting around.

Comment

I always have sympathy for the deep bench guys. It's tough to basically sit around for 2 hours and then at the flip of a switch be told you're going in. The warm-up was a long time ago by then. At least in football you can stay active on the sideline and somewhat stay warm. Basketball they are literally just sitting around.
                            I generally agree with your comments. However, WLU is somewhat unique in that at least 10 guys get playing time starting at approx. 17:00 of first half, independent of score. Eight players average at least 16 minutes and 11 average ar least 9 mins. Imho, the wheels came off when Rasile subbed out at the 6 min mark, leaving only new guys on the floor. Due to unusual combo of players, I think a few guys were not in correct position against press. Also this was longest stretch of playing time for some folks and it exposed some areas for improvement.
                            I was shocked that Frostburg was putting starters back in the game against our young players in last 6 mins and we are up by 40. Why risk injury and jeopardize season? Strange.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I was shocked that Frostburg was putting starters back in the game against our young players in last 6 mins and we are up by 40. Why risk injury and jeopardize season? Strange.
                              Risking injury, yes. But I also think Frostburg's coach wanted a "moral victory" (if there is such a thing) of saying they hung triple digits on the #8 team in the land. He can go back to his locker room and build on that as they head into some more winnable games to come. So, yes, he was risking injury, but he was also trying to get some bankable motivation material for a currently struggling group.

Comment

Risking injury, yes. But I also think Frostburg's coach wanted a "moral victory" (if there is such a thing) of saying they hung triple digits on the #8 team in the land. He can go back to his locker room and build on that as they head into some more winnable games to come. So, yes, he was risking injury, but he was also trying to get some bankable motivation material for a currently struggling group.
                                You may be right that he was trying to craft a false, yet plausible narrative. Maybe it was for boosters back home as much as locker room?
                                Wlu had 101 points with 11:30 left. Had they kept their foot on the gas even with subs, they had a shot at 150 pts. Starters only played between 17 and 22 minutes.
                                Frostburg tried to run with wlu with 7 players, while playing full bore playground. Recipe for disaster. Could have lost by > 50 points. Had the deep bench not acted like they had not played the game before, no way Frostburg hits 100.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X