Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

He was much better in womens game with only with him and another guy. 3 guys overdriving the mike was irritating in the mens game and talking over each other
    In truth, because the basketball product on the court is so bad at WVWC, I suspect the kids on the mic feel like they have to BE the show in order to draw any audience and provide any entertainment at all.

Comment

Final wlu 108 wvwu 53
      This (and there previous against D&E) is what WLU should do to bad teams. My concern is that, sometimes, we don't as in against Frostburg (which we were able to gut out) and against Wheeling. Huge games this week vs WV State and UC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

In truth, because the basketball product on the court is so bad at WVWC, I suspect the kids on the mic feel like they have to BE the show in order to draw any audience and provide any entertainment at all.
        Good point. That explains why they starting plugging times for nfc and afc games during the game.

Comment

• After being swamped with fervent requests (especially from the PSAC) LOL

FYI NCAA stats west liberty as of Jan 31 2023 after WVWU

Improving in assists, 3PT shooting %, and turnovers per game

1st- 3pt attempts per game 34
          1st- Assist to turnover ratio 1.90 Nova SE is #2 at 1.75

1st- 3pt made per game 13.0

2nd - assists per game 23.2 nova se is #1 at 23.4
          2nd- scoring 100.0 Nova SE is #1 at 107.1

3rd -Turnover margin 7.6 Nova se is #1 at 10.9
          3rd- Forced turnovers 19.8 Nova se is #1 at 24.25
          5th - Steals per game 10.8 Nova se is #1 at 12.6
          5th - Scoring margin 18 Nova se is #1 at 29

20th - FG % 49.39
          29th - Offensive rebounds per game 12.6
          35th - 3 pt % 38.14

64th – Turnovers per Game 12.2
          123rd - FT % 72.12
          143rd - Rebound margin 0.9

Comment

• FYI - A Dummy's Observations on WLU at WVWU 1/28/23 - WLU 108 – WVWU 53
            WVWU Strategy
            • Play man to man defense
            • Utilize their starters, for apparently, they have little confidence in their bench
            • Minimize Turnovers
            • Be conservative in attacking on 3 on 2 breaks against the press. Focus on playing half-court offense and utilize much of the shot clock to slow down the pace of the game.
            • Try to get behind the defense for long pass against the press.
            WVWU had limited success in implementing their strategy
            • WVWU played their starters far too long. IMHO, one must play 9 players, if just to buy time while their starters rest. Once fatigue set in on the starters, WVWU collapsed on offense and defense.
            • WVWU had trouble getting the ball in bounds against the press.
            • They committed 25 turnovers, of which 14 were steals and only had 10 assists.
            WLU Observations
            Some positive aspects of the game are due to the disparity in talent between WLU and the opponent. So, I will focus on items that relatively opponent independent.
            • WLU is rotating the ball on offense very effectively, from Point to left wing, back to Point, to right wing, back to Point, then back to left wing. At that point, left wing has a wide-open look three-point shot. General data analytics indicates that 3 rapid rotations (like this) often result in a wide-open look.
            • Many times, WLU was making 5 to 7 passes before the shot and when that shot was taken, there was still 15-17 seconds left on the shot clock. The advantage of not taking a quick shot is that teammates know when the shot is going up and can crash the boards. The ball was not sticking.
            • When WVWU broke the press, some WLU players were sprinting to catch up and knock the ball away from behind. This has been missing and was the trademark of Brady Arnold in past years. This extra effort can cause 3 or 4 turnovers a game.
            • The outlet pass after a rebound was very quick and players advanced the ball quickly. If they had to dribble, they kept the ball in the center of the floor.
            • WLU was very effective in enticing the opponent to catch the ball in the corner on an inbounds pass, where they were trapped in the worst spot on the court.
            • WLU was diving on the floor for loose balls and 50-50 balls while leading by 50 points. Impressive.
            • WLU did not take their foot off the gas in the second half. They played to improve, and did not play down to the level of the opponent.
            Areas for Improvement
            • A fundamental aspect of defense is to always be able to peripherally see both the ball and your opponent at all times. Some WLU players lose that defensive positional angle, which opened them up for back door cuts.
            • Similarly, at the back of the press, WLU naturally will cheat up toward the half line. But they cannot have their back to the opponents goal when there is an opponent behind them. If the inbound passer starts to throw a home-run pass, the WLU player first has to pivot their body to face the opponent’s goal, before they can sprint back to cover the pass. That delay is enough to create the space to catch the pass and get a layup for the opponent. They also need to recognize and react earlier when the inbound passer shifts the ball to one hand, for a long pass is done with one hand in a baseball pass.
            Other Observations
            • WLU averaged 1.40 points per possession, which is incredibly high and indicates that they kept their foot on the gas against WVWU who averaged 0.68 points per possession.
            • They only committed 10 turnovers in 77 possession, an amazing 13% of possessions. WVWU committed turnovers on 32% of their possessions
            • When opponent’s FG % declines rapidly along with opponent turnovers, as well as losing the offensive rebounding battle, one has a perfect storm for massive blackouts, which occurred at WVWU.

Comment

• Wlu 58 at wvsu 46 half
              wvsu jumped out 10-2 , but pressure started creating wvsu mistakes.wlu has 8 steals on 12 wvsu turnovers.

Comment

• Final wlu 102 - wvsu 97
                wvsu is a dangerously unpredictable team.

Comment

Final wlu 102 - wvsu 97
                  wvsu is a dangerously unpredictable team.
                  You couldn't even predict their 4 different 10-minute swings in this game. For the first 10 minutes, they were unbeatable. For the second 10 minutes they turned into D&E. They were so-so out of halftime, but then they couldn't miss in the final 10 minutes of the game.

It has to be maddening to be a fan of that team. SO much talent . . . and now a 5-game losing streak. Hard to figure.

But I still hope someone else picks them off in the postseason. I'd rather not have to see them a third time.

Comment

• That performance was about as ragid as i've seen from a WLU squad in a while. Whitiker and Jordan inside...WLU had few answers beyond just hoping they would foul or somehow miss.

I too hope we avoid them in the post season. As we learned in the first round of the NCAA Tourney last year, any given night they have the tallent to jump up and beat you. If they ever figure out how to play consistently, they could be a force.

Unlike other conferences, the MEC continues to be a circular firing squad. Particularly this year, there are a couple of truely bad teams at the very bottom. But 1 through 10 is stacked with teams that not only have the "tallent" to knock off top tier team, they have proven that they CAN knock off a top conference team!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      That performance was about as ragid as i've seen from a WLU squad in a while. Whitiker and Jordan inside...WLU had few answers beyond just hoping they would foul or somehow miss.

I too hope we avoid them in the post season. As we learned in the first round of the NCAA Tourney last year, any given night they have the tallent to jump up and beat you. If they ever figure out how to play consistently, they could be a force.

Unlike other conferences, the MEC continues to be a circular firing squad. Particularly this year, there are a couple of truely bad teams at the very bottom. But 1 through 10 is stacked with teams that not only have the "tallent" to knock off top tier team, they have proven that they CAN knock off a top conference team!
                      They did that at the KCAC in their Rd 2 loss to Cal last year. They could have put that game away 7 different times but didn't. Cal eventually beat them.

They lose much more and you won't have to worry about seeing them again in the NCAAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They did that at the KCAC in their Rd 2 loss to Cal last year. They could have put that game away 7 different times but didn't. Cal eventually beat them.

They lose much more and you won't have to worry about seeing them again in the NCAAs.
                        Well, there is always the MEC Tourney. They can play their way in. Not perdicting they will, but they certainly have the skill set to do it.

Comment

Well, there is always the MEC Tourney. They can play their way in. Not perdicting they will, but they certainly have the skill set to do it.
                          For sure.

But I just don't know what I saw from them on Wednesday. WLU was good enough on Wednesday to get the win, but I wouldn't say WLU clicked on all cylinders Wednesday. And if WVSU can't get themselves focused for 40 minutes when WLU is in the building, when will they decide to focus? When they spazzed out and became a turnover factory in the middle portion of that game, it just wasn't what you normally see from a team of that caliber. Hard to figure. If you're an MEC team and can't get up for WLU's visit, when can you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

For sure.

But I just don't know what I saw from them on Wednesday. WLU was good enough on Wednesday to get the win, but I wouldn't say WLU clicked on all cylinders Wednesday. And if WVSU can't get themselves focused for 40 minutes when WLU is in the building, when will they decide to focus? When they spazzed out and became a turnover factory in the middle portion of that game, it just wasn't what you normally see from a team of that caliber. Hard to figure. If you're an MEC team and can't get up for WLU's visit, when can you?
                            This is a team that until 2 weeks ago was 15-1. While any 6 game losing streak is bad, I would note that during the streek they lost to Fairmont in OT, UC by 3 and WLU by 5. I guess any losing team could say this but a couple of bounces either way and they could own three W's over the top three teams in the conference.

As we learned in the first round of the NCAA tourney, WVSU is not a team you want to draw in a one-and-done tourney.

Comment

This is a team that until 2 weeks ago was 15-1. While any 6 game losing streak is bad, I would note that during the streek they lost to Fairmont in OT, UC by 3 and WLU by 5. I guess any losing team could say this but a couple of bounces either way and they could own three W's over the top three teams in the conference.

As we learned in the first round of the NCAA tourney, WVSU is not a team you want to draw in a one-and-done tourney.
                              Is WVSU healthy? That losing streak is awfully odd.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is WVSU healthy? That losing streak is awfully odd.
                                Full roster throughout the streak as far as I can tell. Puzzling to be sure.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X