Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m partial to the Bonifant final four his senior year

Comment

• To be clear, wlu advancing is anything but a given. However I think Nova has a tougher road in terms of matchups.
      As great as those past teams were, i like the fact we have 5 shutdown guards on this team and everyone is unselfish. Many opposing teams' offense is built on outstanding guard play. We now have the guards to stay in front of them, which is a critical factor, especially if we are not shooting well. IUP had only 0.89 points per possession, amazing for such a talented team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        To be clear, wlu advancing is anything but a given. However I think Nova has a tougher road in terms of matchups.
        As great as those past teams were, i like the fact we have 5 shutdown guards on this team and everyone is unselfish. Many opposing teams' offense is built on outstanding guard play. We now have the guards to stay in front of them, which is a critical factor, especially if we are not shooting well. IUP had only 0.89 points per possession, amazing for such a talented team.
        I'm going to say that this WL team is the best defensive team that they have put out in over a decade.

Comment

To be clear, wlu advancing is anything but a given. However I think Nova has a tougher road in terms of matchups.
          We do have the ability to lay an egg this season. We didn't shoot particularly well from 3 point range and nor were we particularly strong on the boards against IUP

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
            Been forever since I posted...I've always been lurking...

I know the story about crutch leaving, ben taking over etc, etc...

but what I want to know is--- Does anyone know if Ben and Crutch are true friends? Should be bc of the time spent playing for him and on staff...but I wonder if the fact that some WL fellas transfer to Nova SE, and Ben doesn't like it or considers it tampering? Crutch still recruits Ohio it looks like....I know they are both competitiors, but are they "civil" to each other? I want to know the dyamic if they do play each other....PLease shed some light on it...Really interesting story line if they both make the final....but my guess is they don't...upsets happen...
            I would imagine that they are friend(ly) with each other due to their long relationship. But I would also imagine that Ben has to be quietly miffed a little at Crutch. I mane, on his way out of the WLU door Crutch took WLU's All-American PG Dave Dennis and convinced First Team All-State and WLU comitted SG Nick Smith to flip to Nova. Then this year All-Potential SG Will Yoakum transfers from WLU to Nova and procedes to have an injury free season were he starts all 35 games, leads the team in scoring and shoots over 500 from 3. Ben probably will never admit it, but I would bet at least once he had to think...DAMB Crutch, get your OWN players and stop taking mine!!!

Quick aside...Imagine this years team with Butler, Yoakum and Robinson (who could have staid for his graduate season).

Comment

• Kobe Mitchell of Akron is in the portal. Ohio Valley kid that went to Harrison Central. Would be a great add

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would imagine that they are friend(ly) with each other due to their long relationship. But I would also imagine that Ben has to be quietly miffed a little at Crutch. I mane, on his way out of the WLU door Crutch took WLU's All-American PG Dave Dennis and convinced First Team All-State and WLU comitted SG Nick Smith to flip to Nova. Then this year All-Potential SG Will Yoakum transfers from WLU to Nova and procedes to have an injury free season were he starts all 35 games, leads the team in scoring and shoots over 500 from 3. Ben probably will never admit it, but I would bet at least once he had to think...DAMB Crutch, get your OWN players and stop taking mine!!!

Quick aside...Imagine this years team with Butler, Yoakum and Robinson (who could have staid for his graduate season).
                And Bolon! Don’t forget our guy Yahel Hill was still playing and Sincere Carry

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post

Well, in our league California if Phil Alston had stayed and IUP if Armoni Foster has stayed certainly might have been better.

Comment

• Sincere Carry would have been the best player to ever wear the black and gold. Worked out for him I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post

Hill is the example that proves the point about playing in the system. No doubt that even at WLU, he could SCORE...but equally true that when the ball hit his hands, it rarely went anywhere else except to the basket! Ben gave him about 1/2 a season to realize that that wasn't how WLU played until he was asked to leave the team! Two fundimental truths at WLU, first if you're a "big" you have to be able to shoot the 3 or you won't get on the court and second if you hog the ball, you won't be around long.

Comment

Hill is the example that proves the point about playing in the system. No doubt that even at WLU, he could SCORE...but equally true that when the ball hit his hands, it rarely went anywhere else except to the basket! Ben gave him about 1/2 a season to realize that that wasn't how WLU played until he was asked to leave the team! Two fundimental truths at WLU, first if you're a "big" you have to be able to shoot the 3 or you won't get on the court and second if you hog the ball, you won't be around long.
                        I think you may be confusing hill with someone else, who loved to shoot but had no interest in defense. Everyone liked hill; good student. It was his decision to leave. He went to school (polk) that showcases players for d1 offers.

Comment

I think you may be confusing hill with someone else, who loved to shoot but had no interest in defense. Everyone liked hill; good student. It was his decision to leave. He went to school (polk) that showcases players for d1 offers.
                          He might be thinking of Ariel Watson. He was a gifted offensive player but never saw the court (unless it was garbage time) because he was a me-first player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

He might be thinking of Ariel Watson. He was a gifted offensive player but never saw the court (unless it was garbage time) because he was a me-first player.
                            That guy was an offensive machine. Projecting his offense to 40 minutes yielded about 47 points per game. But his opponent would probably score 55. Lol. Near zero defensive fundamentals were learned growing up. Sad, given his skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It was Ariel Watson. Much of his WLU "career" has been stricken...His name has been removed from the 2018-19 roster, his player profile has been scrubbed and you can't get any game to game information without going into the individual game box scores. Watson was a NJCAA All-American. Played 12 games and was sumerarily bounced from the team. Interesting that his recruiting class consisted of Nick Greely, Yalee Hill and Jon Alessandro. Three of the four were gone by the start of their second season and Alessandro was gone by the start of the next season.

Comment

It was Ariel Watson. Much of his WLU "career" has been stricken...His name has been removed from the 2018-19 roster, his player profile has been scrubbed and you can't get any game to game information without going into the individual game box scores. Watson was a NJCAA All-American. Played 12 games and was sumerarily bounced from the team. Interesting that his recruiting class consisted of Nick Greely, Yalee Hill and Jon Alessandro. Three of the four were gone by the start of their second season and Alessandro was gone by the start of the next season.
                                I might be mistaken, but I believe Greely merely hung it up after that season. I never saw him surface anywhere else after that. I could be wrong through--I admit to not searching that hard for the travels of Nick Greely. LOL

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X