Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Hilltoppernation View Post
    I'm laughing as well that Huggins is ducking West Liberty at this point. It really would be funny if WestLib showed up at WesBanco in their uniforms and say we got next. It's like going to someone's neighborhood to play basketball when you know that the best players in that area are on vacation, so you show off like look at what we can do.
    It would be and it is!! Crutch will never do that cause that's not how he is. From Huggin's point of view, he's probably hoping WLU's players do show up...would give him an instant "excuse" not to scrimmage WLU in the future! I mean, he can go down and scrimmage WV Tech in their neck of the woods but he CAN'T scrimmage WLU in Wheeling even though he and his team are practicing there for THREE days???

People have asked in the past why WLU doesn't scrimmage a D1. This is often part of a discussion about why WLU doesn't play a tougher OOC schedule. The implication is that WLU doesn't do either because they are scared and only willing to play on their home court. This is probably a good indication of what WLU gets when they come calling to a D1 and quite possibly, high quality DII's.

Comment

That's a WVU thing you guys having going on ... there are plenty in close driving distance who would have no issue taking the game -- Pitt, Ohio State, etc. I'm sure Marshall even would.

Clarion is playing Kentucky.
      Slippery Rock is playing Tennessee.
      IUP is playing Syracuse and Villanova.
      UPJ is playing Pitt.

If you guys wanted to play one I don't think you'd have any trouble ... time to give up on Morgantown. Duke took on a D2 last year (Viginia Union? ... that would be a fun opponent WL vs. Duke in Cameron Indoor). That WVU game seems like it's never going to happen.

I know Crutch doesn't like to leave WV but he could easily find a game aside from WVU.

These games don't prove anything. It is just a neat experience for the D2 guys to play 'the big boys' and play in some historic venues, etc. Nobody expects them to win. The only time IUP has really got blasted was up at Michigan State two years ago (I believe same season as national title game). They lost by almost 40 or 50 in that game. But they've played Pitt well and Maryland tough a couple years ago. It's neat to watch.

I would love to watch the WL offense vs the Syracuse zone ... stuff like that. It would be cool to see.

Now, IUP playing the defending National Champion and also another Final Four team from last year is a bit extreme but they surely aren't seeing any better teams the rest of the year. I would think most expect them to lose by 30-40 points in each game. But, like I said, they are going to get to play NBA types. That's a pretty neat life experience.
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-18-2016, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        That's a WVU thing you guys having going on ... there are plenty in close driving distance who would have no issue taking the game -- Pitt, Ohio State, etc. I'm sure Marshall even would.

Clarion is playing Kentucky.
        Slippery Rock is playing Tennessee.
        IUP is playing Syracuse and Villanova.
        UPJ is playing Pitt.

If you guys wanted to play one I don't think you'd have any trouble ... time to give up on Morgantown. Duke took on a D2 last year (Viginia Union? ... that would be a fun opponent WL vs. Duke in Cameron Indoor). That WVU game seems like it's never going to happen.

I know Crutch doesn't like to leave WV but he could easily find a game aside from WVU.

These games don't prove anything. It is just a neat experience for the D2 guys to play 'the big boys' and play in some historic venues, etc. Nobody expects them to win. The only time IUP has really got blasted was up at Michigan State two years ago (I believe same season as national title game). They lost by almost 40 or 50 in that game. But they've played Pitt well and Maryland tough a couple years ago. It's neat to watch.

I would love to watch the WL offense vs the Syracuse zone ... stuff like that. It would be cool to see.

Now, IUP playing the defending National Champion and also another Final Four team from last year is a bit extreme but they surely aren't seeing any better teams the rest of the year. I would think most expect them to lose by 30-40 points in each game. But, like I said, they are going to get to play NBA types. That's a pretty neat life experience.
        If West Liberty manages to win a National Championship, they should have their chance. Duke typically plays two D2s each year, and one is typically the previous year's D2 National Champion. For example, Augustana plays Duke on November 4th this year (the Blue Devils also play Virginia State on Oct. 28th). For the record, Duke will most likely beat us by 40-50, since they are preseason #1 in just about every media outlet and Augie just lost three of its best players in recent history to graduation. But it should still be a cool experience, even if it ends up being a bloodbath.

Comment

Honestly, I love the Hilltoppers (and I'm not a WVU fan at all--grew up a Pitt Panther fan, still am) , and WL is terrific, but I'm not sold that WL could beat them...I'm not sure that WVU is scared, I just think Huggins is probably tired of hearing about the Darling D2 team in his state, but I don't think Huggins even wants to acknowledge WL with a game. And admittedly, what does WVU have to gain in the game? Beat them by 30 and it's "yea, you should, you're D1, and you have better size at every position, etc"...or if it's close, then people think that WL could hang...it's almost like he won't justify their existence... I'd be interested in seeing the game, but to say a fringe top 25 D1 team is ducking a D2 is a bit strong, I think

Comment

Most D1's don't like to treat this as a game, either. They like to experiment with lineups, etc. Perhaps in WV, there would be the added pressure to win and win big. On any given year, WVU would likely blow WL off the court. Same with most D1's of that level. If they'd treat it as a real game, play their normal rotations, etc., the D2's wouldn't have a chance against D1 Top 25 level teams. The IUP vs. Michigan State game was a prime example. IUP beat WL that year and was just destroyed in East Lansing.

I suppose on a magical night anything is possible but the talent level is so vast -- particularly the size, speed and depth -- I can't see any D2 teams playing with a ranked D1 team.

These are designed to be glorified practices for both teams and extra nights to sell some tickets.

On the other hand, ...

Huggins plays some low-budget D2 teams yet the game everybody wants to see never happens. I know they would view coming to WL as 'beneath them' but it's only a scrimmage.

I've heard similar rumblings up this way. IUP has tried to play Duquesne in basketball in this sort of game with no luck -- yet Duquesne will play Mansfield and Cheyney.

In a real game, regular season, Pitt would destroy IUP or West Liberty. Duquesne, on the other hand, ... it might be a real good game vs IUP or WL.

Comment

I get what you guys are saying as far as the Duke's and Michigan State's of the world and for that matter Kentucky as well, but to think that for one second an elite division 2 program couldn't hang with most D1 schools is crazy. The talent level is not that much of a difference, but like someone mentioned a few posts ago, the size and depth would probably end up being the difference. I know from personal experience (former D1 and D2 player) that sometimes we short change the D2 talent. Now as far as WestLib's schedule outside of conference, I would like to really see them play somebody like Pitt or even Duquesne.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilltoppernation View Post
                I get what you guys are saying as far as the Duke's and Michigan State's of the world and for that matter Kentucky as well, but to think that for one second an elite division 2 program couldn't hang with most D1 schools is crazy. The talent level is not that much of a difference, but like someone mentioned a few posts ago, the size and depth would probably end up being the difference. I know from personal experience (former D1 and D2 player) that sometimes we short change the D2 talent. Now as far as WestLib's schedule outside of conference, I would like to really see them play somebody like Pitt or even Duquesne.
                Side note--

Welcome to the board, Hilltopper Nation...As far as I'm concerned, there are never enough Hilltop faithful on this board...Be ready to defend their OOC schedule, be prepared for the "that offensive / defensive style is a gimmick and can't win the big one" talk, but most of all contribute always and often--I like the influx of new blood!

PS: you have me wondering if you're an alum, and who you could be...But whatever, the anonymity of the board is mostly good...

Comment

Thank you IUP Extra Mile for the warm welcome. I'm not a former alum but did get recruited by WestLib 1 year before Coach Crutchfield took over, and actually had him recruit me as well, but there was no way I was going to go there with the terrible history that program had at the time lol. So I know just about every player since the 2002 season and some on a personal level. Yeah, I'm well aware of how people outside the Topper faithful view the program, some of which could be taken as legitimate flaws and views, and some could be taken as just hate do the success for over a decade now. But hey, atleast we have something to talk about now. Let's get this season started!

Comment

Welcome to the Church of Crutch.

Worship hours run 24-7-365 until he retires. At that point he will be given Saint status and a statue will be erected in Boat's front yard.

Comment

Well I hope I'm invited to that ceremony then, because it's going to be cool. Seriously, numbers never lie...just check his resume.

Comment

Worship hours run 24-7-365 until he retires. At that point he will be given Saint status and a statue will be erected in Boat's front yard.
                        IUP Big---I got a kick out of that quote, "Church of Crutch"...very funny AND true...we do worship him and the program...I may use that in the future if you don't mind.

Good to hear, Hilltopper Nation. My attendance at the Church of Crutch started fully in 2010-11 season, but I was more of a guest for the previous two seasons to that......I'll have some good big picture questions for you as the season is upon us...Be on the lookout...

Comment

You can have the naming rights.

Just keep in mind when Crutch retires soon enough and WL basketball becomes WL football ... you sold your IUP soul to the devil. You'll have to earn your way back.

Kidding aside, ... hard to believe opening night is only about 3 weeks away.
                          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-19-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Well hopefully I can answer some of your questions during the year IUP...having sat down with coach Crutch on numerous occasions and having the opportunity to personally play in pick up games in the open gym with some of the teams he's coached as well as coaching a few kids that Crutch actually offered scholarships to and were on the team, I may be able to give you some insight on what he thinks...as we all know with West Liberty, the players may change but the system and results are the same.

Comment

Add centerville PG Keegan saben for next years class http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6168444/...ghts/331290430

Comment

Unfortunately, the Church of Crutch shares a building with the Church of Joe! Most of the time the Church of Crutch get's the prime time Sunday slot but every now and then the Church of Joe sneaks in! Happens just enough to be mildly annoying.

I would imagine that Saint Crutch and Saint Joe will share the same induction class. As during their coaching careers, Crutch will be first followed closely by Joe!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X