• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    What happened to them?
    Good question about the mechanics of the scholarship "offer" process regardless of the individual involved. Maybe someone close to the general process on both sides can enlighten us. I have no knowledge of any individual case. There was discussion on the Ohio U blog about this specific player, as they had no more scholarships.

The following is speculation on my part.

1. An "offer" is verbal and is non-binding on both sides.
    2. An "offer" may be conditional; i.e., you are #2 on our list at your position. If we don't sign #1, we are definitely interested in you. Or let's talk after your senior year.
    3. A player may choose to wait to accept an offer or the school could still continue to issue other offers at the same position.
    4. Players may get caught in a numbers game. For example, a school decides to take more players at other positions of greater need and defer signing a PG until the next year. So they have no scholarships.
    5. I would not be surprised if some coaches on the hot seat would hesitate in signing someone who is not 1st team all district or all-state because of fear of the boosters. In fact, I think some marginal coaches are not the best judge of talent and rely too heavily on ratings, height, and awards.

Here are some basics I found about offers:
    https://www.athleticscholarships.net...larships-offer

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Saw him play. Great shooter (inside and outside) and scorer, slasher, great athletic ability. Depending on web site, height varies from 5-9 to 6-0. Prior to senior year had 6-7 D1 offers from MAC level schools. #25 player in Ohio according to some before senior year. 3rd team all district is misleading - he was in a district that was loaded with D1 players who were the main star of their respective teams. He had other stars on his team such as T. Smith (OSU football signee and good physical basketball player).
    I think West Lib is a perfect fit for him to develop his understanding of the game and channel his great athletic ability so that he avoids the temptation to try to do too much.

What happened to them?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Anybody see the 5'9" commit to West Liberty from Cleveland Heights OH, according to Verbal Commits? Yahel Hill....

Looks good on highlights, but everybody does...it's a position of need bc Arnold is Sr, Sincere Carry decommitted and Watson graduated...Dyer remains, but i like the pick up.
    Saw him play. Great shooter (inside and outside) and scorer, slasher, great athletic ability. Depending on web site, height varies from 5-9 to 6-0. Prior to senior year had 6-7 D1 offers from MAC level schools. #25 player in Ohio according to some before senior year. 3rd team all district is misleading - he was in a district that was loaded with D1 players who were the main star of their respective teams. He had other stars on his team such as T. Smith (OSU football signee and good physical basketball player).
    I think West Lib is a perfect fit for him to develop his understanding of the game and channel his great athletic ability so that he avoids the temptation to try to do too much.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Anybody see the 5'9" commit to West Liberty from Cleveland Heights OH, according to Verbal Commits? Yahel Hill....

Looks good on highlights, but everybody does...it's a position of need bc Arnold is Sr, Sincere Carry decommitted and Watson graduated...Dyer remains, but i like the pick up.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Possibly the question was worded as "Do you believe you are good enough to play in the NBA?"

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Of the many players invited to nba combine in 2017 ( many of whom were undrafted) only about 3 were under 6-1. So a sincere assessment is if u are under 6-1 u can realistically assume your chances are almost nil of playing in NBA.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/2017-nba-dra...e-measurements

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I did a rough estimate. There are 347 d1 teams with 13 scholarships or 4511 players.
    60 players are drafted each year into nba in 2 rounds, less 9 foreign players which leaves 51 positions ( in 2017).
    So only 1.13 % of d1 players are drafted into NBA.

There are many foreign leagues but they often have restrictions on number of players who are outside their country. They also play a different style which could exclude some players in d1 who are not fundamentally complete players.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I haven't read the entire article yet so excuse my ignorance. But, from the stats you post:

* What does it define 'playing professionally' as? NBA or rather any level one can be paid to play? If it's the latter, that changes things a bit.

* The D2 and D3 numbers are bogus ... that's kids just not taking the survey seriously. The 48% in D2 implies that half of every D2 roster thinks they are going to play professionally.

I'm just thinking, in a broad scope, of this past season in the entire PSAC. To my knowledge, only two players have signed with agents (Ship's Dustin Sleva and IUP's Anthony Glover).

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virgin...commendations/

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
    Nice size that is really needed. 6 7", 235 lbs. Should have 4 years since he was red shirted last year unless he is required to sit out next year.
    I think he may have been class of 2016 so he is a rs frosh with 3 years left. He is coming from d1 so he should be immediately eligible.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Nice size that is really needed. 6 7", 235 lbs. Should have 4 years since he was red shirted last year unless he is required to sit out next year.

Leave a comment:

• JDonAB92
    replied

Former Bridgeport star Nick Greely is transferring from Campbell to West Liberty. A big who can shoot outside.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Nova southeastern news
    Malik hardy, ssc freshman of the year and outstanding scorer is leaving nova se. Wlu and nova having some bad luck this month!
    Crutch got a commit from a 6-7 player from Denmark
    Hardy to Florida Gulf Coast.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X