X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Given WLU's success over the Crutch era, if it was as easy as getting your players in great condition and then running the WLU "system," I would imagine there would be a bunch of successful imitators. Fact that WLU and Crutch were the only team able to do it says to me that it ain't that easy to do!!! Crutch has one player who has been successful in his system, a 4 or 5 other guys he recruited who he believes can play his system and 8 holdovers who MIGHT be able to do so. My opinion...to get to 20 wins, Crutch needs to have hit on all they guys he brought in and most of the holdovers as well. He has some of the cards he needs, but to win 20, he will need to draw to an inside straight....not impossible...but not as easy as just getting them in good shape.

I will say that if anyone can do it, Crutch is the guy!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    My hunch: That 6-24 (or something like that) from last year turns in to 18-12 or 20-8 this season. There's some talent there and with Dennis he has (entering his junior year) perhaps the best point guard in the country.

Hoehn will be a key member of that team. Obviously not as a player but he'll be the grad assistant who is essentially dressing for practice every day. That should really help the system implementation.

You'll see that instant change from a year ago in that team's conditioning. My thought is people always talk about the Crutch 'system' ... I never agreed with that analysis. If that was the case, everybody would run that 'system'. What always jumped out to me as the key to WL's success was having top-conditioned and intelligent players -- along with, of course, high-percentage (unselfish) shooters. That's my 'non black and gold sunglasses' view.

Who knows ... maybe we'll get a home-and-home going here in the near future. Enough with Cheyney and Mansfield. And, yes, I'd agree ... one for one ... not the 2 or 3 for one stuff IUP wanted.
    In addition, all the players are well balanced in fundamentals of passing, defense, dribbling, rebounding as well as shooting. Other coaches tend to recruit for a position and not emphasize balance. I have heard they also practice differently with more emphasis on team play. Rather than a system, it seems to be more of a philosophy. As crutch said there is no one magic system but how players execute and buy into whatever the system is. His stresses getting more possessions and good shots than the opponent by forcing turnovers, not taking off balance shots and tiring the opponent.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

And ... All good coaches have to play the hand dealt.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    I see Nova as a 10-15 win team this coming season. That would be a big improvement. Much of Nova's success, or failure, next year will be based on weather the 8 players that remained from the previous regime truly buy into Crutch-ball AND if they are physically capable of playing that system. The 8 holdovers were brought in to play a COMPLETELY different style of ball and they may not have the right skill set to be a success in Nova's new style.
    I dont' know much about Nova's philosophy from past regime, I don't know much about their team...But let's be real....Conditioning is one aspect of basketball that can be taught....They will be well conditioned...they will play the WL style....do they have the players to be super successful? We'll see...He has a good start with Dennis and Nick Smith, FR....I'm predicting 18-19 wins...He's a good coach..they'll be conditioned...

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

I see Nova as a 10-15 win team this coming season. That would be a big improvement. Much of Nova's success, or failure, next year will be based on weather the 8 players that remained from the previous regime truly buy into Crutch-ball AND if they are physically capable of playing that system. The 8 holdovers were brought in to play a COMPLETELY different style of ball and they may not have the right skill set to be a success in Nova's new style.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I agree with your assessment. I saw West Lib play them last year and Nova did OK against them. They definitely were not incompetent. They just did not value every offensive possession. That 6 ft 9 guy who was freshman on yr in his conference at Salem. Hits 40% of 3s. Got 19 against West Lib. Some of their international players are decent too.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

My hunch: That 6-24 (or something like that) from last year turns in to 18-12 or 20-8 this season. There's some talent there and with Dennis he has (entering his junior year) perhaps the best point guard in the country.

Hoehn will be a key member of that team. Obviously not as a player but he'll be the grad assistant who is essentially dressing for practice every day. That should really help the system implementation.

You'll see that instant change from a year ago in that team's conditioning. My thought is people always talk about the Crutch 'system' ... I never agreed with that analysis. If that was the case, everybody would run that 'system'. What always jumped out to me as the key to WL's success was having top-conditioned and intelligent players -- along with, of course, high-percentage (unselfish) shooters. That's my 'non black and gold sunglasses' view.

Who knows ... maybe we'll get a home-and-home going here in the near future. Enough with Cheyney and Mansfield. And, yes, I'd agree ... one for one ... not the 2 or 3 for one stuff IUP wanted.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

South FL is a TOUGH market for sports teams. For a team to "draw" they need to be a winner and even then it is a "what have you done for me lately" thing. A proven winner will see their game attendance drop considerably even within a season if the team hits a rough stretch! There are just soooo very many other things a person can do in South FL rather than go watch a team they think might lose!!!

But the good news is Nova is coming from as close to zero as a program can get...and Crutch's style is pretty fan friendly. Even if they don't put up a whole lot of W's if they can score 100+ every game and lose "shootouts," they might be able to draw some interest.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Off topic fyi:
    Crutch got a 12 ft by 32 ft nevco jumbotron at Rick case arena at nova se. Looks like they are giving him every tool to attract recruits and fans.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Tough situation for Howlett. He can be a great coach and lead the Toppers consistently to four loss regular seasons and several NCAA playoff W's each season and still be seen as a "failure." The bar is just so very, very high for him. He will have to be dam close to perfect and have WLU in the hunt for a NC most years to even have a chance to be seen as "adequate." I understand why he took the job and I think he's up to the task but DAM...talk about zero chance to grow into the job!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm most interested to see the dynamic of the new coach going from buddy-buddy cheerleader assistant to the head coach. Always an interesting transition.
    I think we will have to be patient. Very big shoes to fill. On the other hand i understand he did much of recruiting so he has an eye for a player that fits the style. The in game adjustments are the biggest unknown when compared to crutch who had so many more years of experience.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm most interested to see the dynamic of the new coach going from buddy-buddy cheerleader assistant to the head coach. Always an interesting transition.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I remember that game. To your point, yes, Clarion played well for probably 90% of that game ... way better than normal. They just didn't have the bench and tapped out those last 5-6 minutes.

I'm actually surprised their coach hasn't been canned yet. They've really regressed lately.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Re other teams collapsing against wlu.
    If u are really bored, YouTube Clarion west lib game when Clarion had Anthony. They played west lib tough. Down between 5- 8 pts. With 7 minutes left in game, the roof fell in. They lost by about 30.
    That's WLU's MO. Teams can and do play them tough for a lot of the game but comes a point, usually late in the first half and then again down the streatch in the second, were the cumulative effect of WLU's constant defensive harassment and forcing their opponents to play every one of their players in the WLU offensive end just wears the other team out and WLU goes on one of its runs.

That Clairion game is a perfect xample. At 12:40 of the first half, Clarion had a 6 point lead...less than two minutes later they were behind by 6. What Clairon did that most can't is they were capable of mounting a comeback and ultimately claimed a 3 point halftime lead. But really, that was Clarion's last gasp...WLU was cold to start the half so Clarion maintained a lead for a while but ultimately, WLU walked away. Anthony got his points and WLU claimed a 20 point W.

As for a Grossenbacher type player, I to would prefer we had one too. But just MAYBE Ochoa can be a different kind of Grossenbacher. He's thin but seems very active inside on the offensive and defensive end. Here's hoping he's in the weight room packing on the pounds! Lot of pressure on a freshman but we do have a pretty experienced top 6 so that should relieve some of the weight he might think he has to be the man. Love to see him focus on inside defense and rebounds his first year.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-15-2017, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Re other teams collapsing against wlu.
    If u are really bored, YouTube Clarion west lib game when Clarion had Anthony. They played west lib tough. Down between 5- 8 pts. With 7 minutes left in game, the roof fell in. They lost by about 30.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X