Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalU Basketball

Well, both men's and women's schedules have appeared, but neither roster yet. Hope the rosters follow soon, with some nice surprises.

Re: CalU Basketball

Here is some info on new Cal additions:

Isaiah Lewis (6'3, 185), guard, transfer from Temple. Former 3-Star but pretty much a bust at Temple. One year of eligibility at Cal.

Philip Alexander (6'6", 180), small forward, high school recruit

Karriem Simmons (6'8", 185), small forward, JUCO transfer. Two years eligibility at Cal. Decent player ... very skinny. Has a nice outside shot. He reminds me a bit of former Rock player Cornelius Brown (which is a very good thing for Cal).

Jahmar Howze (6'6", 215 lbs), G/F, prize of the class. Transfer from Urbana. Two years eligibility at Cal. Averaged 16.2 ppg for a bad team in the MEC. Had 20 points against UPJ last year and an OK game against IUP the following night.

Not that my opinion means much, but I do follow PSAC basketball very closely. I'm picking Cal to finish second in the West this year. The Vulcans will cause a lot of problems for teams under the basket. This is a much deeper team in Year 2 of the regime. The biggest difference between the coaches from what can see is the style of players being recruited. Brown loved those big, slow PSAC West prototypes. You can see the roster is now being made in to a more IUP/MEC-style makeup -- athletic, fast players who can shoot.

My projected order of finish:

1. IUP - Joe's loaded top to bottom
    2. Cal - Comments above
    3. SRU - Reynolds scored a big class and has some nice players returning (strange as it sounds)
    4. Seton Hill - Trevor Blondin returning is a giant boost
    5. Mercyhust - Gary won't stay down forever. They will be better this year.
    6. Gannon - The revolving player door continues. Reilly will be (somewhat) competitive regardless who is on the roster.
    7. Edinboro - Wild Card team
    8. UPJ - AJ Leahy is finally gone after what seems like 20 years. They have a good PG (Clancy) and a good SF (Vescovi). How much else is up for debate. Teams 4-8 are likely to be pretty much interchangeable.
    9. Clarion
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 09-15-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Here is some info on new Cal additions:

Isaiah Lewis (6'3, 185), guard, transfer from Temple. Former 3-Star but pretty much a bust at Temple. One year of eligibility at Cal.

Philip Alexander (6'6", 180), small forward, high school recruit

Karriem Simmons (6'8", 185), small forward, JUCO transfer. Two years eligibility at Cal. Decent player ... very skinny. Has a nice outside shot. He reminds me a bit of former Rock player Cornelius Brown (which is a very good thing for Cal).

Jahmar Howze (6'6", 215 lbs), G/F, prize of the class. Transfer from Urbana. Two years eligibility at Cal. Averaged 16.2 ppg for a bad team in the MEC. Had 20 points against UPJ last year and an OK game against IUP the following night.

Not that my opinion means much, but I do follow PSAC basketball very closely. I'm picking Cal to finish second in the West this year. The Vulcans will cause a lot of problems for teams under the basket. This is a much deeper team in Year 2 of the regime. The biggest difference between the coaches from what can see is the style of players being recruited. Brown loved those big, slow PSAC West prototypes. You can see the roster is now being made in to a more IUP/MEC-style makeup -- athletic, fast players who can shoot.

My projected order of finish:

1. IUP - Joe's loaded top to bottom
      2. Cal - Comments above
      3. SRU - Reynolds scored a big class and has some nice players returning (strange as it sounds)
      4. Seton Hill - Trevor Blondin returning is a giant boost
      5. Mercyhust - Gary won't stay down forever. They will be better this year.
      6. Gannon - The revolving player door continues. Reilly will be (somewhat) competitive regardless who is on the roster.
      7. Edinboro - Wild Card team
      8. UPJ - AJ Leahy is finally gone after what seems like 20 years. They have a good PG (Clancy) and a good SF (Vescovi). How much else is up for debate. Teams 4-8 are likely to be pretty much interchangeable.
      Great write up on the predictions....The fact that you follow PSAC basketball so closely, you may want to include Clarion in your west prognostications...(that's not a mean jab, just a friendly one for the board...)
      Assuming they'll be bringing up the rear?

Comment

Haha ... poor Clarion. Fixed.

Nine teams in the West ... that's basically like its own conference.

Comment

IupbigIndians, Thanks for the great update and your predictions. Don't know how you discovered the Cal additions, but they are a welcome surprise for me! And YES, UPJ's Leahy WAS what seemed like an ever-present dangerous player, as were both Vescovi brothers. But their coach is a good one and seems to reload well with local stars.

Comment

Still no Men's Basketball roster yet. I can't figure out what the heck the holdup is.

Comment

When a team takes a lot of transfers like McBride did this year ... the process of getting them admitted to school is easy. The NCAA portion is the slow part. Cal is likely waiting to make sure all will be deemed eligible for this season. Being that practice starts real soon it should be almost done. That's why SRU is last to post almost yearly as they get a new team, basically, every season.

The later in the summer you take transfers the longer line they get in with the NCAA clearing.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                When a team takes a lot of transfers like McBride did this year ... the process of getting them admitted to school is easy. The NCAA portion is the slow part. Cal is likely waiting to make sure all will be deemed eligible for this season. Being that practice starts real soon it should be almost done. That's why SRU is last to post almost yearly as they get a new team, basically, every season.

The later in the summer you take transfers the longer line they get in with the NCAA clearing.
                Thank you iupbigindians for the explanation. The above I did not know ~ but it certainly clarifies the situation. Again, thanks.

Comment

Ok. The CalU men's roster has finally appeared. What happened to Ramon Creighton and Tony Richardson?
                  Last edited by Feedoggie; 10-13-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

yeah ... that is going to change my prediction a bit.

I'll see what I can find out for you.

Comment

RC hasn't tweeted anything since late August which is unusual from someone who is usually out there in that world. Can't find any mention of a transfer or issues. Here's hoping it's a glitch since a 12 man roster in college is a bit thin. Time will tell.

Comment

Twelve plus those two ... 14 is too many. I'd say it's not a glitch.

Tony wasn't a fit in McBride's system. Too slow.

But, that's still a major loss. I wouldn't doubt they surface somewhere.

Awfully strange to see a senior leave the team.

Is Ramon still enrolled at Cal? Grades, perhaps?

I'm usually good at digging stuff up ... these two just vanished.

Comment

Also, Sapp left to go play at Gannon which leads me to believe there was some sort of house cleaning by the coach. Just a guess though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                            Also, Sapp left to go play at Gannon which leads me to believe there was some sort of house cleaning by the coach. Just a guess though.
                            This is going to be tricky but please try to follow. From last years roster, all of whom seemed eligible to come back (no seniors), 5 players are not on this years roster...Brown, Creighton, Richardson, Sapp and Miller. Other than Sapp to GU, I have no idea why the others aren't there.
                            From IUPbigINDIANS list Simmons is not on the roster and 3 others have been added
                            Terry Davis Jr, 6'3" Sr transfer from Glenville State
                            Donte' Williams, 6'7" 230 Jr transfer from Southeastern JC (Iowa)
                            Ryan Dutton, 6'5" 220 Fr Slippery Rock HS
                            which brings the roster to 13 or +1 from yesterday. I hope that makes it somewhat clearer.
                            Stay tuned for further updates.

Comment

Did you guys find anything out about Ramon or Tony?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X