Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

It sounded like Joe was very humble with that Gazette article. He really had every rite to trash the referees and the dirt bag Seton Hill players. I'll do it for him...

First off, the refs had no control of the game. Calling absolutely nothing the whole game and then calling a bunch of technicals late is not controlling the game. What that crew did is possibly ruin the season for one team and let another team be dirt bags because their season was already over. Seton Hill had not a care in the world. All thy wanted to do is beat on the top dawg. In a situation like that, the officials have to call a little tighter game to keep honest.

Comment

Yep ... that scrub plays about 8 minutes a game. Mission accomplished.

It won't be forgotten.

Comment

Can anybody remember the last time IUP was a double-digit home underdog?

I'd guess not since Joe's first year when he had to start from scratch. Prior to that it might be pre-Kanaski.

Comment

Hopefully it's not an indication of attendance tonight but there are a TON of season tickets that weren't renewed for this evening. Obviously the events from Seton Hill likely contributed.

Season ticket holders had until 5:30 p.m. Monday night to buy their seats and then they became available to the public.

One item that won't help matters is Indiana High School has its second-round playoff game tonight at Fox Chapel High School. IHS draws decent and has a nice following for a high school.

After all the excitement at the Edinboro game the other night I could see them bringing some extra fans ... but that's a long haul home on a weeknight.

Comment

Seton Hill had a "goonish" reputation going back to their days in the WVIAC. Lot's of personal fouls and near fights in WLU vs Seton Hill football games and their players actually urinated on the midfield logo at WLU before one game. Of course the best revenge for that was going out and hanging 80 on them (that was back when WLU had a offense!!)!

Comment

Urinated on the field ?!?!?!

Wow. How's that even possible? LOL.

Last Saturday, they had a kid come in who never plays and his job was just to go after Glover. It worked. Same official called both technicals. One from 50' away. That's a scary situation. One team going to the postseason and one team that stinks with nothing to lose ... putting in a goon to do what he did.

I don't complain about officials on here. I believe it all balances itself out over a game -- often intentionally (different story) -- but IUP got hosed. I can't wait until next year when Joe purposely hangs 50 on them.

I'd love to see what happened in the Seton Hill / West Chester brawl earlier this year. But, of course, the PSAC took the video down. The league likes to handle such incidents as if they never actually happened. Luckily, Westmoreland Sports covered the game last week so we could all watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Hopefully it's not an indication of attendance tonight but there are a TON of season tickets that weren't renewed for this evening. Obviously the events from Seton Hill likely contributed.

Season ticket holders had until 5:30 p.m. Monday night to buy their seats and then they became available to the public.

One item that won't help matters is Indiana High School has its second-round playoff game tonight at Fox Chapel High School. IHS draws decent and has a nice following for a high school.

After all the excitement at the Edinboro game the other night I could see them bringing some extra fans ... but that's a long haul home on a weeknight.
                I think there will be an unfortunately underwhelming crowd tonight. As you mentioned, the IHS game plus Edinboro is hosting Cal in the women's tournament at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  I think there will be an unfortunately underwhelming crowd tonight. As you mentioned, the IHS game plus Edinboro is hosting Cal in the women's tournament at the same time.

Great point. I forgot about the Cal/Boro game. That's a huge one.

I said I wasn't going on Saturday ... of course I lied. Thick and thin, right.

Comment

From the Erie newspaper:

"We're already fired up to go there," said Trey Staunch. "The past two times we played them, we feel we should have beat them. It's going to be a dogfight."

Comment

From the Erie newspaper:

"We're already fired up to go there," said Trey Staunch. "The past two times we played them, we feel we should have beat them. It's going to be a dogfight."
                      Coming from the Erie Times that hadn't covered anything about the local college basketball scene until the Liggins article came out. The Erie Times blows! Those writers do nothing but write about Cathedral Prep or the next "star" high school athlete. They do that to try to make a name for themselves. That's not just the Erie Times, that's all the sports media in Erie.

Comment

IUP ladies will be hosting this weekend. They are up to 26-2.

Hopefully they get a big crowd.

Comment

IUP ladies will be hosting this weekend. They are up to 26-2.

Hopefully they get a big crowd.
                          Didn't look like a very big crowd tonite from what I saw via the web. I see they didn't list attendance in the box score as far as I could see.

So who's in for the women's tourney Sat. IUP, Boro, West Chest, and Millersville? Sound right?

I like when the PSAC tourney was held on Friday and Saturday night.

Are the IUP men done for the season?

-

Comment

IUP ladies will host Millersville on Saturday.

Edinboro will play West Chester.

Comment

Based on tonight, the following is the ray of hope IUP still has of playing another game:

PSAC-wise:
                              IUP started the day No. 6 in regional ranking. Kutztown started No. 8. Both lost tonight.

Gannon absolutely needs to lose on Saturday. If the Knights make it to Sunday, they likely pass IUP and Kutztown for an at-large. If GU wins Sunday, IUP season ends. To be safe, both West teams need knocked out Saturday. That gives GU a 9th loss. An all-east final is irrelevent to IUP at this point and the best-case scenario.

MEC-wise:
                              Fairmont State started the day at No. 9. If they win the MEC Tournament ... IUP is done. If FSU has a big run ... could still knock Joe out. IUP does have the head-to-head. Best case scenario from IUP perspective is either West Liberty or Wheeling Jesuit wins this weekend. A Cinderella wins and Joe season over.

CIAA-wise:
                              Virginia State has to win the CIAA Tournament. A Cinderella down there would wreck complete havoc for a couple teams.

The good news: Glover suspension is served and over. The West teams are capable of winning but likely both underdogs on Saturday. Odds are pretty good either WL or WJ wins the MEC. I also like VA State's odds of winning the CIAA.

The bad news: That's using the word 'if' an awful lot.

Bottom line: They aren't done but they are certainly in intentsive care ... need some help. Best-case is they make it as a 7 or 8 seed.

Who'd have ever thought ... IUP is cheering for Dustin Sleva, West Liberty and Virginia State all in the same weekend.
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-28-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

The path is still alive but a little different.

IUP needs:

Ship win
                                ESU win
                                WJU or WL to beat Concord.

Those events happen IUP should get the 7 seed.

We'll see if VSU gets the 2 seed after losing tonight. Probably.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X