Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

That story kind of broke a couple weeks ago off the record. I shared it with a few on here in PMs.

Very interesting. I always thought he'd end up here. He's very tight with Malik Miller.

He's developed and bulked up. I hope he signs. He'd have two years at IUP. He'll be a big addition to what will be a loaded post ... likely to play a version of the Tevin Hanner style low post. Great athlete .... high flyer. Very quick ... started all 31 games for a 32-5 Harcum team ... averaged about 10 points and 8 boards ... strong defensive player and will fit well in to Joe's system. He'll likely see heavy minutes off bench this upcoming season as one of the top reserves.

He's not the skinny guy he was coming out of high school. He's hit the weights pretty good ... listed at 6'6" ... plays with a chip and brings some toughness ... very celebrated high school career at Aliquippa ... Recruited by Jim Crutchfield and signed with West Liberty out of high school but never attended. Played one year in FL at Polk State and this past season at Harcum.

Rumor is there are several offers in front of him ... several PSAC and one (high profile) MEC.

My guess is the Malik connection gets him signed at IUP.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-26-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

The other now-public (VC) offer is IMG Academy (FL) shooting guard Kyle Feit. He's nice size at 6'4" and spent a post grad year at IMG so he's more physically developed than most freshmen. IMG is a basketball factory known for producing mass quantities of top-shelf D1 players. He's from West Palm Beach.

To my knowledge he has not committed to IUP. Should he sign he'd likely be in the mix from Day 1. Big-time shooter.

There are some other names in the rumor mill but not firm enough yet for the board.

I haven't heard any direct ties to Amir Hinton yet. But, I wouldn't rule it out. He's the game-changer. There would likely be some issues with when he could play. Recall Norfleet had to sit his first semester (practice but not play).

I'd really love to see them finally land Randy Bell. He fixes the starting SG immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
        Just saw on Twitter that the Atlantic Region Basketball Legend Chucky Humphries rec'd an offer from IUP!!! Man, he gets around!
        Didn't he originally commit to West Liberty out of high school? Because this sounds like a move Slippery Rock would make...
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          Didn't he originally commit to West Liberty out of high school? Because this sounds like a move Slippery Rock would make...
          He's a good student, has no criminal history and has never been thrown out of anywhere.

Not really Rock material.

Comment

Some highlights of the upcoming IUP (2018-19) Men's Basketball conference schedule:

* Joe gets the 'big four' of the East -- with road games at Kutztown and East Stroudsburg and home games with Shippensburg (Sat, 12/8) and West Chester (Tue, 12/18). Luckily, they are all seperated and not 'back to back' on weekends as we've seen in past years.

* IUP plays at SRU (1/12) and at Gannon (2/9) -- both Saturday games. The Morrow visit falls over break.

* Cheyney is listed as a home game but that will turn in to a non-conference opponent

* There is also a game at Millersville (at Kutz on Saturday and at Millersville on Sunday)

* Saturday night home games: Gannon (12/29), UPJ (1/5), Edinboro (1/19), Mercyhurst (2/2), Seton Hill (3/2)

* Rock visits Wednesday, Feb. 6

* The return trip to Joe's House of Horror in Greensburg is Wednesday, Jan. 30.

Observations:

* With all four of the top EAST teams on the schedule ... there's no reason to go crazy (yet again) in the non-conference slate.

* The two 'marquee' home games will be Shippensburg and Slippery Rock -- not only good games but students will be present.

* New this year, the conference is playing back-to-back games on 12/18 and 12/19 (TUE-WED). West Chester visits that Tuesday and Cheyney was scheduled for the following night.

* Hate to see Gannon's visit scheduled for Dec. 29. Rivalry game played in front of nobody. Makes great scheduling sense and costs the gate a fortune.

* No word if the Fairmont State series will continue in to its fourth year. So far, two games have been at IUP and one at FSU.

* As of now, every PSAC team has (22) conference games scheduled. Of course, most will need to replace the Cheyney game so it's actually (21) games in conference for some. Not all West teams had Cheyney on the schedule and I have no idea how each East team will replace the home-and-home with Cheyney. That will likely get clarified soon.
            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-27-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Some highlights of the upcoming IUP (2018-19) Men's Basketball conference schedule:

* Joe gets the 'big four' of the East -- with road games at Kutztown and East Stroudsburg and home games with Shippensburg (Sat, 12/8) and West Chester (Tue, 12/18). Luckily, they are all seperated and not 'back to back' on weekends as we've seen in past years.

* IUP plays at SRU (1/12) and at Gannon (2/9) -- both Saturday games. The Morrow visit falls over break.

* Cheyney is listed as a home game but that will turn in to a non-conference opponent

* There is also a game at Millersville (at Kutz on Saturday and at Millersville on Sunday)

* Saturday night home games: Gannon (12/29), UPJ (1/5), Edinboro (1/19), Mercyhurst (2/2), Seton Hill (3/2)

* Rock visits Wednesday, Feb. 6

* The return trip to Joe's House of Horror in Greensburg is Wednesday, Jan. 30.

Observations:

* With all four of the top EAST teams on the schedule ... there's no reason to go crazy (yet again) in the non-conference slate.

* The two 'marquee' home games will be Shippensburg and Slippery Rock -- not only good games but students will be present.

* New this year, the conference is playing back-to-back games on 12/18 and 12/19 (TUE-WED). West Chester visits that Tuesday and Cheyney was scheduled for the following night.

* Hate to see Gannon's visit scheduled for Dec. 29. Rivalry game played in front of nobody. Makes great scheduling sense and costs the gate a fortune.

* No word if the Fairmont State series will continue in to its fourth year. So far, two games have been at IUP and one at FSU.

* As of now, every PSAC team has (22) conference games scheduled. Of course, most will need to replace the Cheyney game so it's actually (21) games in conference for some. Not all West teams had Cheyney on the schedule and I have no idea how each East team will replace the home-and-home with Cheyney. That will likely get clarified soon.
              Yes, it is time for the Gary Edwards creampuff special! Let's play Penn State Egypt branch campuses. That was just way too much to start the season last year. I give Bravado credit for his dash and daring as always but that just was not a prudent thing to do looking back at it.

-

Comment

I don't think cream puffs are the way to go but middle of the road teams would be good.

Comment

I just watched video on Kyle Feit. He looks like a solid player but all the video I watched, I just don't see explosion to the hoop with him. I'm hoping maybe it's just the video from IMG. The video looked like all the players were in slow motion and none wanted any part of defense.

Comment

The first player I thought of (from past IUP teams) was Geoff Evans. Similar size, etc.

That tape was kind of strange. But, he'd be a 'four year' guy if he signs. I've always liked those big (height) shooting guards.

Further strange is the connection to IMG Academy and recruiting a Florida kid. There haven't been many from down there and certainly none from prestigious IMG. My hunch would be (assistant coach) Allen Payne is very well connected down there being he was a big star at Auburn.

I'm also no longer so sure Jalen Vaughns is leaving. Their season has been over now for several weeks. Generally the guys leaving want to get that announced immediately to re-open their recruitment. I'd like to see him stay. This was a strange year for him but there's plenty of upside there. A ton, actually. He's got the same build/size as Daddy Ugbede and showed some fantastic offensive ability. Like Daddy, however, his defense needs some work.

If that's the case, that's four spots open.

Full rides returning:
                    Cobo, Willem, Malik, Keyes (off RS), Armoni (off RS), Dante (not a 'full ride' hit), Vaughns

That leaves (4) scholarships available.

Known offers:

Charles Humphries (SF)
                    Kyle Feit (SG)

Assuming they land those two (just assuming), I still think they have to go with two guards for the final two spots. Worry about new big guys next off-season.

Just get Randy Bell and Amir Hinton all would be very well in the universe. Wow. Could you imagine that roster?

Comment

So... looking at this "possible" roster, who plays the PG besides Dante?

Comment

To my knowledge, Armoni was recruited as a PG.

Comment

To my knowledge, Armoni was recruited as a PG.
                          yeah, about that... He played PG in HS but him playing PG in HS was more of a one on one offense (street ball). He's never really played the point in a legit offense. I'd be curious to see what Joe does with this point situation.

Comment

My opinion: a ready-to-play (junior or senior) transfer PG is an absolute requirement to this class.

This is certainly the 'elephant in the room' topic surrounding the program. Personally, I feel they'd get way more bang for the buck moving Dante to shooting guard. You can't ignore the fact he's become very injury-prone the past two years. This move would take a lot of the wear-n-tear off him, also.

Comment

My opinion: a ready-to-play (junior or senior) transfer PG is an absolute requirement to this class.

This is certainly the 'elephant in the room' topic surrounding the program. Personally, I feel they'd get way more bang for the buck moving Dante to shooting guard. You can't ignore the fact he's become very injury-prone the past two years. This move would take a lot of the wear-n-tear off him, also.
                              That's where I was going with this. They need a ready to go point guard! Dante to the shooting guard and backs up at the point. I think Dante will shoot better at the shooting guard spot. Less wear and tear on his legs. We'll soon see.

I'm eager to see Dom Keyes and how good he really is. Is he legit?

Comment

Keyes can play. They haven't had a rim-protector like him in a long time. He's the 'gritty' big they've been missing.

He can't shoot from the outside like Blake could (nor will he be asked to) but defensively there's no comparison. Huge upgrade. He also immediately adds what I'll call some of the 'toughness' that's been lacking.

All of that said, I look for Willem to just go nuts next year. Those last 7-8 games he really came out of his shell. Obviously, Cobo is going to log heavy minutes. I'd see Willem and Keyes rotating and Cobo and Humphries (providing they sign him) rotating. You also have Vaughns in the mix down there. That's some big, athletic boys down there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X