Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Ethan Porterfield (6'8", 210 lbs) -- 2019 power forward from Sharon (PA) High School -- has committed to IUP.

He averaged 18 ppg and 9 rpg last year as a junior (team captain).

He fits the mold of the 'modern' IUP big man ... nice shot from the outside and runs the floor very well.
    Saw him play at SRU last spring when Sharon and New Castle met in the 4A state quarterfinals. He definitely attracted everyone's attention from Ne-Ca-Hi that night.

Comment

Ethan Porterfield (6'8", 210 lbs) -- 2019 power forward from Sharon (PA) High School -- has committed to IUP.

He averaged 18 ppg and 9 rpg last year as a junior (team captain).

He fits the mold of the 'modern' IUP big man ... nice shot from the outside and runs the floor very well.
      Does he fit in that Sleva mode? I know you were looking for one of those.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
        Yeah ... me and every other team. Lol.

They'll need to bulk him up some but that's par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
          I think he might fit the Cobo mold in a couple years. This kid can shoot from deep, Sleva wasn't a bomber.

Comment

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/marcus-h...cdd2a9317.html

Comment

Bravado Joe has called for the Black Out Saturday night.

Expecting good crowds both Friday and Saturday. Last year the VSU Saturday night took a major hit due to so many being out at West Chester for the football game.

This year I assume many of the regulars will do football game, Hilton bar, Joe's game. There are much worse Saturday's.

Comment

Bravado Joe has called for the Black Out Saturday night.

Expecting good crowds both Friday and Saturday. Last year the VSU Saturday night took a major hit due to so many being out at West Chester for the football game.

This year I assume many of the regulars will do football game, Hilton bar, Joe's game. There are much worse Saturday's.
                I'll be there for all festivities!!! I'm excited!!!

Comment

Big weekend. Two great, challenging games. Very different opponents.

Tommy Bolte types have a history of being squashed in the KCAC. We'll see if the tradition can keep going.

Comment

Big weekend. Two great, challenging games. Very different opponents.

Tommy Bolte types have a history of being squashed in the KCAC. We'll see if the tradition can keep going.
                    I saw WLU play them at Concord last season, which has been WLU's death valley in recent years.

WLU's strategy was to deny him the ball from end line to end line. Make him work extremely hard to even touch the ball.
                    They put their best athlete and best defender who has great hops at 6'3 on him (All-American Dan Monteroso who is playing in Germany this year) who could stay in front of him. Bolte can score from 3 as well as off-balance in traffic even after being fouled.

When Dan needed a break they put their next best defender who had the quickness to at least try to stay in front of him.

By the last 5 minutes of the half, Bolte was fatigued and his energy level decreased to the point when the coach had to take him out to recover.

Bolte is a smart, complete player with a very quick release so you can't play too far off him - but he is not a gunner. If you are not sound defensively and he draws a second defender, he will find the open man who will in turn burn you from 3 or slam down a dunk. If you don't have a taller, quicker player on him who can make him work and contest his shot, he can light you up for 50. I am not sure, but he probably got close to 30 in spite of this effort, but the mission was successful - WLU won the game.

I heard that WLU tried to recruit him in high school --- sigh.

Any ideas of who may draw the assignment and their skills? You may need two players to take turns when one gets tired to keep the pressure on.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                      I saw WLU play them at Concord last season, which has been WLU's death valley in recent years.

WLU's strategy was to deny him the ball from end line to end line. Make him work extremely hard to even touch the ball.
                      They put their best athlete and best defender who has great hops at 6'3 on him (All-American Dan Monteroso who is playing in Germany this year) who could stay in front of him. Bolte can score from 3 as well as off-balance in traffic even after being fouled.

When Dan needed a break they put their next best defender who had the quickness to at least try to stay in front of him.

By the last 5 minutes of the half, Bolte was fatigued and his energy level decreased to the point when the coach had to take him out to recover.

Bolte is a smart, complete player with a very quick release so you can't play too far off him - but he is not a gunner. If you are not sound defensively and he draws a second defender, he will find the open man who will in turn burn you from 3 or slam down a dunk. If you don't have a taller, quicker player on him who can make him work and contest his shot, he can light you up for 50. I am not sure, but he probably got close to 30 in spite of this effort, but the mission was successful - WLU won the game.

I heard that WLU tried to recruit him in high school --- sigh.

Any ideas of who may draw the assignment and their skills? You may need two players to take turns when one gets tired to keep the pressure on.
                      I have no doubt -- when in man -- it will be Malik Miller. He's by far their best defender and big (and fast) at around 6'4". That said IUP runs a pretty nasty zone, too.

IUP is going to pose them a lot of issues under the basket. This is the type of lineup Cobo can eat alive. He (Bolte) will have some issues driving the hoop all night. IUP is gigantic under there.

Very interesting game.

I'm actually trying to remember the last superstar guard IUP has played here. Most of the recent stars have been post players.

I know Jason Jolle isn't a superstar but they held him to like 4 points here last season.

One fear is Joe teams tend to let teams bomb away -- knowing they'll crush them on the boards. Usually works ... except those nights when you get a guy on fire.

Remember PSAC 'great D' games get played in the 60s. They won't let this become an MEC shootout. IUP will run possessions and shot clocks. Different world up here.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-08-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Tony C has a preview in today's Gazette. In it: IUP also scrimmaged Ashland, Dante did get hurt (but not badly) in preseason and Greg Bearer is starting in the opener.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...0a490ce81.html

Comment

Bearer starting obviously means somebody isn't. One would assume that to be Armoni.

Bearer can play. No issues.

My guess is it has more to do with the Tommy Bolte issue. Malik and Armoni will cover him. This way they always have a fresh guy on him.

My guess, anyway.

Comment

• Comment

I'd be surprised to see much of it. I see them slowing the game down tonight. Tomorrow, VSU will have (more) better athletes.

Comment

It got lost in the shuffle but the women open up tomorrow (2 p.m.) against Ohio Valley -- there is also another women's game at 12 p.m. (Clarion vs AB).

Football kicks off at noon. IUP (ladies) will then play AB at the KCAC on Sunday.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X