Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Millersville blew out Shippensburg .... huge upset.

Rock holds Seton Hill to 32 points. Another wow.
    California held on to beat Edinboro to move ahead of Seton Hill in the standings (Cal and SHU tied for 6th with a 5-10 record, but Cal currently has the head-to-head tiebreaker over Seton Hill). Also worth noting that Cal swept the season series against Edinboro, which could come into play depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      California held on to beat Edinboro to move ahead of Seton Hill in the standings (Cal and SHU tied for 6th with a 5-10 record, but Cal currently has the head-to-head tiebreaker over Seton Hill). Also worth noting that Cal swept the season series against Edinboro, which could come into play depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
      The VULCANS record may be pretty sad, but this is not a BILL BROWN 8-13 team. The only regret for this season is what MIGHT have been if RAMON CREIGHTON was able to play. My guess is they'd be much closer to a .500 team and not anyone to take for granted in the post season. As it is a lot of positives to take away and they're not done yet. Good job so far by KENT MCBRIDE.

Comment

Not sure where this particular thread veered course but nonetheless .... HUGE win in the 'Mill. Joe's 19-2. That's quite a record.

Comment

Not sure where this particular thread veered course but nonetheless .... HUGE win in the 'Mill. Joe's 19-2. That's quite a record.
          But we knew that was the case before they threw up the first ball. It is pretty nice that the ATLANTIC REGION has significant competitors in both MBB and WBB and unlike SR1 no one is looking down their nose at these teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            After nine lead changes and eight ties, the IUP women held on to defeat Gannon 62-57 at the Hammermill Center.

Gannon (5-16, 5-10 PSAC West) got as close as 54-53 with 1:43 left, but IUP (14-5, 12-3) went 8-for-10 from the foul line down the stretch to escape Erie with the win.
            Gannon was up 16 in the second quarter but only managed a three point lead at half. Iup missed a lot of open looks in the first half. D Anna was the difference in the post. iup might still be recovering from two tough home losses. They looked like a team that wasn't very confident.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
              Gannon was up 16 in the second quarter but only managed a three point lead at half. Iup missed a lot of open looks in the first half. D Anna was the difference in the post. iup might still be recovering from two tough home losses. They looked like a team that wasn't very confident.
              D'Anna needs to get much more minutes! I love those big posts in PSAC WBB!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                The game today wasn't as close as the final score. I think the biggest difference between these two schools is the bench. Gannon gets nothing from the bench players. Until Gannon gets some factor players coming off the bench, they won't get over that hump.
                Agree ... It was over late in the first half. Gannon fought hard in the second half and, but it never seemed like they got over the hump to make it seem like they were really back in the game.

The scary part was that GU outrebounded the Hawks and forced 19 turnovers and IUP still won easily.

Hope for a Knights / Hawks III.

Comment

Gannon's starting five all played 35 minutes (or more). That's incredible. Is Reilly having 'dog house' issues again or does he really not trust anybody on the bench? It's a testament to his starters' conditioning that they can play the whole game with next to no breathers but that doesn't seem like a very sustainable approach.

UPJ at Gannon will be one of the better games this week.

IUP gets to host the dynamic duo of Gary Manchel and Kevin Reynolds. Reynolds' streak of being T'd up in Indiana, I believe, is at 4 games. None more costly, of course, than the 2014-15 season. Give him one thing, ... he brings the best out of the KCAC crowd. It will also be nice to have the students, cheerleaders, etc., back ... get some life back in to the place.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                    Nice honor for KCAC staffer Jim Klyap today being named to the Indiana County Sports Hall of Fame. He was a longtime educator, coach, and AD in the Purchase Line school district. Congrats to him! Ed Kozar of Blairsville High was also named. He is another who toiled for years to create a better landscape for local athletics. Very deserving that these men should be recognized!
                    Mr Klyap was also a heck of a basketball player in his day and well beyond. He schooled me and my friends in more than a few pickup games years ago. I'm still ashamed of my alma mater for the way he was pushed out of the AD position by some disgruntled parents who thought they had a clue. He put his heart and soul into that school and the kids who went there.

Comment

Gannon's starting five all played 35 minutes (or more). That's incredible. Is Reilly having 'dog house' issues again or does he really not trust anybody on the bench? It's a testament to his starters' conditioning that they can play the whole game with next to no breathers but that doesn't seem like a very sustainable approach.

UPJ at Gannon will be one of the better games this week.

IUP gets to host the dynamic duo of Gary Manchel and Kevin Reynolds. Reynolds' streak of being T'd up in Indiana, I believe, is at 4 games. None more costly, of course, than the 2014-15 season. Give him one thing, ... he brings the best out of the KCAC crowd. It will also be nice to have the students, cheerleaders, etc., back ... get some life back in to the place.
                      I've watched Gannon play quite a few times this year. Past the top 5, there is a huge drop off. When Evan Phoenix gets in foul trouble, the replacements aren't even close to D2 ready. That's why Dogan usually ends up in the 5 spot with a below average guard coming to the floor. Reilly, in my opinion, guesses at who he should put on the floor after the top 5. I'll be honest, I don't think he likes riding the top 5 but I don't think he has much choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                        Mr Klyap was also a heck of a basketball player in his day and well beyond. He schooled me and my friends in more than a few pickup games years ago. I'm still ashamed of my alma mater for the way he was pushed out of the AD position by some disgruntled parents who thought they had a clue. He put his heart and soul into that school and the kids who went there.
                        Same here. He had some serious game. He must have been pushing 50 back then but it didn't slow him down any. Now that I'm getting to be about the age he was when we played----I have to say that I can't even imagine how he did all of that to not only play with guys who were teens and early 20s---but to get the better of them. Amazing. I think I recall reading that he was Indiana County player of the year in like 1961 or something.

Jim understood Purchase Line and how it was. I don't think that a lot of outsiders could do that very well.

Comment

To continue the talk started on the football side ... and to transfer it hear before they all flip out over basketball talk ....

Benhart is a possibility for the team as a walk-on. He'd need to really bulk up but there's time for that as he'd certainly redshirt. I could see him being a project type forward.

The kid I think is intriguing as more than just a local walk-on is the guard from tiny Saltsburg. Talk about a diamond in the rough type of player. You'd have to see him against better competition but what a shooter.

I'd like to see more of Carlos Carter from IHS. He has nice size now and may grow another inch or so. He should be the big star next year.

Joe recruits nationally but I think there is a benefit of having a 'local flare' on the roster even if it is just in a walk-on type role.

Comment

Who from Saltsburg? Porter? Plowman? I think the latter hit like an incredible 10 treys in a game. That's shooting the rock there.

Comment

Men's

Mercyhurst (6-8, 8-10) at IUP (14-1, 20-10)

Notes:

* IUP moved up to No. 5 in this week's poll
                              * IUP has won 10 straight
                              * Mercyhurst gives up just 65.6 points per game while IUP gives up just 67.9 ppg
                              * Mercyhurst has lost 3 of its past 4 outings
                              * The two rivals have split their last 10 meetings
                              * IUP leads the all-time series, 20-10
                              * The first meeting this year was a tightly-contested IUP victory in Erie, 80-69. Mercyhurst hit 8 of 12 three-point attempts in the loss.

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2016979]Men's

Mercyhurst (6

I think you're forgetting one thing... 67.9 ppg doesn't express how good that D has become the last few games. They were stifling against Gannon and Clarion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X