Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Runaway wins are much more likely with 22 league games. This is one thing that I don't like about the cross-over games counting -- much less likely for races to come down to the final two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
      Runaway wins are much more likely with 22 league games. This is one thing that I don't like about the cross-over games counting -- much less likely for races to come down to the final two weeks.
      You can't be serious right??? First place in the East is separated by 1 game and three teams. The west has Gannon/IUP clinched but the rest of the teams spots are up for grabs by numerous teams. I think the race is just heating up!!!

Comment

I believe the rule was changed a few years ago due in large part to Gannon edinboro women. Gannon lost two regular season games both to edinboro but edinboro lost I think four psac west and crossover. A lot of Gannon fans were shocked that they were not hosting the tourney. The rule at the time was crossover didn't count. Edinboro hosted and won. I don't see the reason of playing that many meaningless games. Waste of time and money for fans. The Gannon men vs ESU was the most entertaining game at the hammermill in a long time. Probably because winning meant something.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          You can't be serious right??? First place in the East is separated by 1 game and three teams. The west has Gannon/IUP clinched but the rest of the teams spots are up for grabs by numerous teams. I think the race is just heating up!!!
          I'm not saying that it's not happening this year. It's just that the more games you have, the less likely it is mathematically to have the division decided with 1-3 games to go. That's all. Not saying that there aren't any good races.

My only other annoyance with the games counting is that crossover schedules aren't even. For example, Gannon's drawing a nice break in that they didn't have to play Ship and Kutztown; IUP had to play both. Also, Gannon got to play doormat Cheyney, but IUP didn't. Gannon didn't take advantage of these breaks.

I suppose that the games counting in the standings still has more plusses than minuses, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
            I believe the rule was changed a few years ago due in large part to Gannon edinboro women. Gannon lost two regular season games both to edinboro but edinboro lost I think four psac west and crossover. A lot of Gannon fans were shocked that they were not hosting the tourney. The rule at the time was crossover didn't count. Edinboro hosted and won. I don't see the reason of playing that many meaningless games. Waste of time and money for fans. The Gannon men vs ESU was the most entertaining game at the hammermill in a long time. Probably because winning meant something.
            I don't remember this being a compelling reason for the move to make crossover games count. I certainly wasn't "shocked" that Boro women got to host. Edinboro women lost only one game in the west (by 25 at home to Cal). Gannon's only two regular season losses were to Edinboro and was undefeated in crossover games. Just looked it up and indeed Boro did lose two regular-season crossover games, but honestly, this is the first time that I knew that.

Gannon was 28-4 that season, with all four losses coming to Edinboro. Sigh.

Comment

The joys of having the largest basketball conference in the known world ...

Comment

The win Saturday night gave IUP a season sweep over its three biggest West rivals -- Slippery Rock, Gannon and Mercyhurst. The last time this happened was during the 2009-10 season.

The men's game against Slippery Rock had an announced attendance of 2,369 but seemed much larger. It seems IUP pumped a lot of tickets out around town as a promotion. It worked. The place was buzzing, the bar was packed and the concessions had long lines. That's still about 1,500 less than Gannon drew three years ago (the infamous Silent Night) but it's by far this year's biggest gate. They did something similar for the Fairmont game over break and got about 1,500 (which is pretty good for Dec. 18 all things considered). I still think the games are drastically over-priced which is a big factor in the (steadily) declining numbers the past three years.

Tomorrow night is going to be a tough road trip.

Comment

The game tonight at UPJ does have a video feed. The IUP site isn't showing it yet but you could get to it from UPJ's site.

The first meeting was a thriller. UPJ is a tough matchup for IUP. They run some things at Joe that others in the West do not. AJ Leahy made some (beyond) NBA range treys in the last meeting to really keep them in it. PG Dale Clancy also hit some real daggers.

For as close as the schools are (40 minutes) you'd think this would have more of a rivalry feel to it but it really doesn't.

The way Joe's team can have a tendency to give up the three ball is an alarm in this game although defensively this team is miles ahead of where it was in early January.

I'd actually expect kind of a pro-IUP crowd up there tonight. UPJ draws awful and IUP will travel decent for this one.

UPJ is 14-6. Two of its losses came to Gannon in very dramatic fashion.

When you look at the remaining schedule, this is the last true roadblock. Win tonight and I think Joe runs the West table undefeated.

But, one step at a time. This is a big one tonight.

Comment

• Just an aside... I love how when we all speak about IUP basketball on here we refer to the team, program, and players simply as "Joe." I love it. Lol

Bravado, baby. Bravado. Hope the flock makes the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody heading up to Johnstown tonight be careful. That area is going to get some real nasty weather starting around 8-10pm. That is a real rough stretch of mountain highway when that stuff hits.

Comment

New award ... UPJ worst feed of all time.

Comment

• Nobody say anything about Gannon's stream ever again. Yikes. Has it come back on for anybody yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

43-28 IUP at half.

As I always, always say ... being a D2 fan is so difficult. My video is down still.

Comment

IUP 84
                              UPJ 63

Final

IUP 16-36 on treys and destroyed UPJ on boards ... 13th straight win.

IUP officially won the West Division tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                The game tonight at UPJ does have a video feed. The IUP site isn't showing it yet but you could get to it from UPJ's site.

The first meeting was a thriller. UPJ is a tough matchup for IUP. They run some things at Joe that others in the West do not. AJ Leahy made some (beyond) NBA range treys in the last meeting to really keep them in it. PG Dale Clancy also hit some real daggers.

For as close as the schools are (40 minutes) you'd think this would have more of a rivalry feel to it but it really doesn't.

The way Joe's team can have a tendency to give up the three ball is an alarm in this game although defensively this team is miles ahead of where it was in early January.

I'd actually expect kind of a pro-IUP crowd up there tonight. UPJ draws awful and IUP will travel decent for this one.

UPJ is 14-6. Two of its losses came to Gannon in very dramatic fashion.

When you look at the remaining schedule, this is the last true roadblock. Win tonight and I think Joe runs the West table undefeated.

But, one step at a time. This is a big one tonight.
                                I think the fact that UPJ is a relatively new member of the PSAC after years as an independent and as a member of the old WVIAC has a lot to do with that.
                                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X