Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Who would the IUP fan base prefer to host Wednesday night .... Mercyhurst or SRU?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Who would the IUP fan base prefer to host Wednesday night .... Mercyhurst or SRU?

Slippery Rock. Too much history losing to Mercyhurst in the KCAC. Happened in March as well before. IUP lost to them 3 years ago as the top seed in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MERCYHURST (11-11, 14-13) at IUP (21-1, 26-2)

The consensus around town is most would have preferred to see Kevin Reynolds tonight. He's not coming.

Gary Manchel's Lakers are instead ... and they bring some IUP headaches with them. Mercyhurst has a history of PSAC Tournament road upsets -- and a recent history of wins against IUP.

-- Last season the Lakers defeated West Chester (at WCU) to win the PSAC Tournament Championship.
        -- A week later Manchel entered the Regional as the No. 8 seed and knocked off No. 1 seed and host, Wheeling Jesuit.

-- In 2013-14, after being swept by IUP in the regular season, Mercyhurst defeated the No. 1 seed Crimson Hawks in the KCAC in second round play (much like tonight's game).

This is a pretty interesting game tonight inside the numbers. Mercyhurt's 14-13 overall record is a bit deceiving when you consider five of those losses are by 5 points or less. IUP swept the season series (80-69 in Erie and 67-56 in Indiana). Both games were extremely even minus a 9-0 and 10-0 IUP run in the second half of each game.

Mercyhurst's famous 'junk' defense, the Triangle and Two ran in combination with its matchup zone, has routinely caused IUP fits over the years. The Lakers forced 25 turnovers at the KCAC a few weeks ago. Mercyhurst has also had a history of just shooting the lights out inside the KCAC.

Both teams enter on hot streaks. The Lakers have won 4 of their past 5 games. IUP has won 17 straight - although looked very average in wins over Clarion and California last week.

These are two of the top teams in the PSAC in scoring defense, with IUP giving up just 67.0 ppg and Mercyhurst 68.8 ppg.

IUP has a 7-5 record in its past 12 meetings against Mercyhurst.

The Hawks better saddle up. This is going to be a tough one tonight.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Only at IUP does Clarion on a Wednesday night drastically outdraw a home playoff game.

IUP24 ... got the feed back ... started the rally. You'll likely get a bill in the mail for processing fees.

Let's hope Saturday's crowd is drastically bigger than tonight. I will say, though, it was a loud 1,700 tonight (by KCAC standards).

Comment

Game-wise tonight ...

* Fantastic defensive effort

* Cobo ended any Mercyhurst rally thoughts with 7 straight points on two treys (one and-one).

* Dante very solid offensive night

* Cottrell masterful underneath ... guessing 5-6 blocks

* Survive and Advance

* minus the first stretch after halftime (which was awful) they played pretty clean.

Payback Time

P.S. Tom beat the crap out of Mercy. The final does it no justice.

Comment

Thank you iup women. Loved every second of that butt kicking.

Comment

Cobo named PSAC West Athlete of the Year

Dante on First Team

Glover on second team

Joe named Coach of the Year in West

Snub of the Year ... Devon Cottrell
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-02-2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Cobo named PSAC Athlete of the Year

Dante on First Team

Glover on second team

Joe named Coach of the Year in West

Snub of the Year ... Devon Cottrell
                  Can't agree more about Cottrell. What a shame because he deserves some recognition for all he has done. His defense is bar none the best at center in the league!

Comment

Not that I disagree, but for what award did Cottrell get snubbed? If it's second team all-PSAC, who would you have put him over? IUP got three players on the first & second teams.

Also, I still find it humorous that six players make the first & second teams. They should get a technical for too many players on the court!

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                      Also, I still find it humorous that six players make the first & second teams. They should get a technical for too many players on the court!
                      How many games have you watched where the entire team plays at the same time lol...considering 12 players is about the average roster size, 6 first team and 6 second team makes sense to me.

Comment

Every year when those First and Second Team awards come out I think back to watching some of those guys essentially grow up and develop over the years. Some of their transformations from freshman to senior, etc., ... just remarkable. Take Dogan at Gannon for example.

It always forces you to play a little 20/20 hindsight about recruiting, etc. Like, how did the West schools let Sleva get away to Shippensburg when he grew up in Pittsburgh? Again, hindsight. As I recall, Dale Clancey's only offer was from UPJ. Leahey was a very under the radar recruit, too. And, I've always wondered, how in the world did Joe find our favorite forward "Jacob Diazo" in the Canary Islands?

I have a feeling IUP's Malik Miller, while he's had his good and bad moments as a true freshman this year, is the star of the future in the PSAC. Once his confidence comes forward ... he just might be scary good.

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see if Mr. GQ Sleva gets the call everytime somebody breathes on him again today.

Comment

BTW, can IUP fans actually find it in themselves to cheer for Gannon today? Go Knights ... let's get a West sweep today.

Comment

Two teams with the big win streaks should fight for the title. Go iup and kutztown

Comment

Kutztown minus 6.5
                                IUP minus 1.5

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X